Underwater and Surface Quacker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheepdog

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a search for this topic but everything I found was kind of outdated. I am looking for a decent quacker that will work above and below the water. I am seeing several but I am looking for some experiences with them.

:popcorn:

Look for Dive Alert Plus, if you are not going to use it to signal excessively.
I've had mine for 18 months, haven't had an emergency, so it's only been tested. Working DM friends who use them are satisfied...

I have to say, I hate those damned things. It is everything I can do not to remove it from someones gear when I see it.

I have been on too many dives where folks are using those things by quaking Morse code to each other.

They can be very rude and obnoxious. They work too well underwater.

I don't plan to nor do I want to use it excessively but I want the option. I was looking at the one from Innovative Scuba, and now I am looking at the dive alert :wink:

Signaling : AQUATEC USA, Scuba Diving Equipment

Sub Alerts are the ones that I really, really hate. They work well.

Diver 1...'Quack, quack, quaaaaack, quack!'
Diver 2...'Quack, quaaaaack, quack quack?'
Diver 3...'Quack, Quack Quack, Quack!!!!'

Translation...'come look at this fish.' I kid you not. A whole week of that. Non-stop.

While I agree that it can it can be overdone, there are plenty of times that having one can really help with underwater communication, and make a dive experience a much more memorable one for a student or new diver. Bottom line - I like them!

I've used the Sub Alert and a Dive Alert plus. I haven't found they attract my dive buddies attention UW at all. Only thing that works is a poke in the ribs.

While I agree that it can it can be overdone, there are plenty of times that having one can really help with underwater communication, and make a dive experience a much more memorable one for a student or new diver. Bottom line - I like them!
To each his own, of course. I strongly prefer not to dive with anybody who uses an underwater noisemaker, quackers in particular--it is one of the few things that can absolutely ruin a dive for me.

Our dive master on Roatan used a quacker to get the groups attention when necessary. I thought it worked a lot better than banging on a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom