Do you have either of these tank straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Whilst improbable in most circumstances, is it possible for a SP style buckle
without a locking pin to become snagged and unlatched, releasing your tank.

When correctly fastened cam buckles even in plastic, never break or unlatch.

I have a few sets of them, you have to clean, tight areas tend to rust a tad. yet does not out way the performance. I have the aluiminum onse for travel bp/w and a single bp/w that I dive at home. I would highly recomend them if you want the the ones on divrite express, and the little ones for pony are awesome also.

Happy Diving

knowone is right I have the other and divrite express sell them to, to hard on inflatable, there in the cabinet now.

Happy Diving

I have them both. The scubamax version is just like the older ScubaPro. Once set up for your tank they have the advantage over a standard cam band in that the strap end is inside the band, so cannot come lose like a standard cam band strap can. Every lose tank i have seen has been because the strap cam loose and pulled the cam open. Yes, you could catch this style and open it up, but in 300+ dives its never happened to me. These are not as well built as the Scubapro IMO.

I have the Highland version of the standard cam band and loop. I could not get it to open far enough to actually loosen up and unlatch. Probably operator error.

I have the Highland version of the standard cam band and loop. I could not get it to open far enough to actually loosen up and unlatch. Probably operator error.

I have the same problem as well with the Highland version. Open them up but there is still not enough slack to unhook. Totally unusable as far as I am concerned. They will be the next piece of kit to go in the bin.

Actually my scubapro ones are great, the generc ones are not at all. My scubapro ones are on my stab jackets, and the beacheut ones are close, and yet they are great also. That is why I bought the generec's. They are faster for changing tanks out, I where a stab for spearfishing and can change a tank out quickly.

Happy Diving

I have the same problem as well with the Highland version. Open them up but there is still not enough slack to unhook. Totally unusable as far as I am concerned. They will be the next piece of kit to go in the bin.

I really am happy to hear this. I thought I was dumber than a cam band.:D

Just found this great link to the Highland Cam Band...
Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band w/ Quick Release

I like it! The end of the strap velcros down which helps prevent the cam from popping open. The other has no secondary safety device and is more like the ScubaPro buckle... Although I dive with plenty of divers who all have ScubaPro BCD's and none of them have ever had a problem with their buckles coming undone. The buckle is usually set so that the lever is close to the BC and the only way it would hook on something is if you got close to something that would get between the tank and BC and leverage it up. Not impossible but improbable.

As far as rust, 316 ss is general marine grade but will still rust albeit not as much as other stainless. I like the ease of use.

Thanks for posting your opinions.
dd

Hmmm... So is it poorly designed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom