Mares Premiere She Dives Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if there are any opinions on this package (Scuba Gear> Buy Mares Premiere She Dives Package with Reviews at K2 SCUBA )

I found someone who bought this last year and never used it selling for $1000 OBO. Any warnings or thoughts on the equipment included?

Mares Kaila BCD
Proton 42 Metal She Dives Reg
Proton Octo
Mission Puck 3 computer console
Reg Bag&Duffle

I posted a couple days ago about an aqualung set for $899, which I'm sure I'd be happy with because I've never had a problem with unisex bcds, but I also got a few messages asking if I wouldn't prefer a women's bcd.

That's a great BC and Reg. If its in new condition and the BC is your size then its a good deal. At that price its almost like getting the computer and bag for free.

So I decided to go with an aqualung package through my local scuba shop.. so this deal is available if anyone is interested. I'm sort of kicking myself because this is a great deal and it's women's gear, whereas I ordered a unisex package.. but I didn't think I would figure out a way to get the stuff to me and I wanted to make sure I got my gear before I leave for my trip in about a week and a half.

I also feel bad because the girl selling it seems really nice, which is why I thought I'd mention its availability on here.. I'm not going to post it in classified as I'm not selling it, but let me know if anyone is interested.

The bcd is a medium, but the problem is that it has to be local to the St. Louis, MO area because I don't think the seller will consider shipping.

I'm sort of kicking myself because this is a great deal and it's women's gear, whereas I ordered a unisex package.
@compton384: For regs, the "women's gear" label relates essentially to cosmetics. The biggest difference might be some pink painted-on accents. I've seen some manufacturers pushing the fact that their women's reg has a smaller mouthpiece and is very lightweight. Mouthpieces can be changed to fit the size of the user's mouth. As you probably already know, there's a difference between the reg being lightweight out of the water (good for travel, I suppose) and lightweight in the water (buoyancy characteristics). A heavy reg outside of the water can be neutrally buoyant (light as a feather) in the water due to the amount of air inside the second stage.

For BCDs, fit matters. My girlfriend tried out several of the BCDs marketed towards female divers (Scubapro Ladyhawk, Aqualung Libra, etc.). Eventually, she settled on a Deep Sea Supply BP/W rig. She remarks quite often how much she likes the BP/W.

Enjoy the unisex gear. Provided that it's good quality equipment, you should get many years of service out of it.

Right, I know.. I was mostly referring to the fit of the BCD, though I've never had any problem with the fit of the unisex equipment used at dive shops.

I'm happy with my decision though because I supported the dive shop that taught me to dive and I know he will check the gear over to make sure it's working properly and I will also have a better relationship for servicing the equipment down the road..

Servicing is a great reason to purchase gear from your LDS.
Since you purchased your reg there, I'd highly recommend asking the tech repair guys to show you how to maintain your reg (post-diving rinsing, storage) and tweak the tuning of your second stage. Someday you'll be in a situation where your second stage freeflows, and you'll be happy to have the knowledge to fix it.

BTW, when you get a chance, buy an i.p. gauge and use it periodically to check the health of your first stage. It's also a wonderful tool to figure out whether the first stage or second stage is the cause of a freeflow.

It doesn't appear to be.. the link has been removed from craigslist... I don't feel it's my place to give out her email address, so I will contact her and see if she's still selling. If so, I will put you in contact.

Thanks so much...she contacted me this morning. We'll see if the equipment will work for me or not. Thanks again!

Brandy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom