Leisure pro's Tusa package #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will_Evo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,

I was just browsing around looking for gear (namely a computer) when I stumbled onto this package available on leisure pro. It includes a BCD, top of the line computer(with compass), Regulator, alternate air, and reg bag for 1000$

Tusa Package #3

To be honest, I havn't even made a dive yet but am doing my open water and advanced dive courses over the next two weeks. I am almost 100% sure I am going to love diving and will continue doing it as long as nothing prevents me from doing so. Anyways I was wondering how long normally these kind of deals last and would it be a dumb move to go ahead and pick this up? That computer is normally 750$ by itself and after further research I found all of the other components of the package have good reviews on the site and are what I was looking for separately anyway. Maybe this is me just being paranoid about dropping a grand on gear and seeking some sane person to back me up. Anyways input would be appreciated.

Also, if I was to do this, I am unsure about the BCD sizing. I fit all criteria for a medium size except for the height on their sizing chart...I am about 2" taller. Would that have a big effect on how it is worn or are the waist and chest sizes more important here. Again thanks

-Will Evo

I'd recommend waiting. First LeisurePro always has awesome sales and I'd you want an item you can set a watch price. They will then write you sometimes and say although they'll alert you when it gets to a certain price they'll sell it to you now for the price you quote plus $10 - in my case a BC at $100 less than they had on the site.

Second, you haven't dived yet. There are many ways to dive. I found that I didn't like a jacket BCD because of the way it fills all around the body. What about a wrist mount computer. Many folks post regretting purchasing a console computer. I've yet to get a full computer (just gauge console for now) until I figure out what need.

If you have money burn and have no issues possibly selling everything you buy for half of what you paid then go for it. There is an incredibly long thread on equipment purchase people regret. In sure every diver could post there - the goal is to have the shortest list of regrets.

Also, depending on where you are doing your courses LP can get an order to you in 2 days (even for me in Canada). You could do you first day or two in the course and discuss equipment with the instructor, order it and then have your own gear for the last day where an instructor could help you with it.

I would agree with cuyler. In my circle of divers I know several who've switched from a jacket to a back-inflate BC for similar reasons. I don't know anyone who has switched to a jacket.

Regarding owning your own gear during class - there are several thoughts about that. One is that you'll be training in your gear - not rentals. However it's possible that your LDS may have more than one rental option so you'll get to experience different configurations - maybe at least be able to try on a jacket vs. back-inflate BC. Or borrow gear from your buddies before you buy.

Some people don't/can't get certified. For medical or other unforeseen reasons. It happens. When I certified I used the shop rental gear and bought a BC just before my checkout dives. I didn't add a reg until about a month after. (computers didn't exist then...lol)

Of course no one but LP knows how long their deal will last but I've noticed that there's always a good package to be had from them or Scubatoys - often discussed here. The issue I have with packages is that they're often a trade-off for the price. I've bought everything at least twice since I started diving - there's always something a little better.

Check the posted reviews on that computer. It seems to be about 4 years old at a minimum and in the first couple of pages there were several "don't buy" comments due to flooding, reliability (in one case a button fell off) Otoh Oceanic is a good brand with solid support.

Do you have both Tusa and Oceanic dealers nearby for service? Being in Oahu I'm guessing you do. I believe LP is an Oceanic dealer now, not sure about Tusa. If they're not then you would have to do Tusa warranty repair/replacement through LP. Or pay for it yourself locally. If LP is an Oceanic dealer, I believe they're required to sell at a certain price. Maybe your local shop can match it?

Might ask why the package lists a Tusa RS-520 but the description references a Tusa RS-430? I don't see a swivel on the RS-520 either.

Last edited:
Both posts above are great advice, but also, my when my wife took her course, the store would not let her use our gear, for insurance purposes is what they quoted. But remember the instructors will be showing you how to set up your gear and if everyone has their own and its different, they have a much harder job.

Dont worry, you will have lots of time to bankrupt yourself gathering "required" gear.

I would suggest giving the facility you ae taking the class from a chance to match the gear offer.Taking a class from them and showing up in Leisure Pro gear is poor form. I have seen students show up in LP gear for their 1st night of class, after using the LDS to get proper size information from sales staff,and get their money for the course refunded on the spot , be told to now go to LP for their lessons.I even had 1 student,before classs even started ,tell me he was not purchasing anything and expected me to supply at no charge a mask/snkl/fins for use in the pool( policy here is student to OWN personal gear-did not matter if they already owned it-thats ok or purchsed from us,we never tell them they must get it from us to take a class),and that he planned on purchasing in the future online. This was after I made arrangements for an instructor just for him and pool time for him alone,as he was on a very short time frame.I even was to charge him normal group rate instead of private rate..I sent him home with a refund.
If Oceanic gear, the facility you are taking the class at is NOT obligated to honor any warrenty that is implied by LP.
We combat the internet sales issue by providing service and price matching any AUTHORIZED dealers price and allowing FREE pool time at any time for customers who purchase thru us. We also offer a rebate of OW course fee on our group course fee of $269. for student who purchases computer/regulator/bcd package during the course or shortly after the course from us.Perhaps the facility you are taking the class from can offer something like this for you.

Last edited:
If I lived in Hawaii where I could dive 365 days a year, I wouldn't be interested in this package. I'd desire a better quality regulator and limit my selection to a brand I could easily get serviced in Hawaii - not saying Tusa can't be serviced in Hawaii.

Keep learning and researching for now.

Last edited:
If Oceanic gear, the facility you are taking the class at is NOT obligated to honor any warrenty that is implied by LP.
Could you clarify this point as LeisurePro is an authorized Oceanic Dealer so my assumption would be that any Oceanic Dealer near the OP would provide warranty support. Or am I incorrect in my understanding of how the Oceanic Dealer network works?

Authorized Dealers
State: NY

Leisure Pro
42 West 18th Street
New York, NY. 10011
212-645-1234

Authorized Dealer Locator - Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

I bought my package from JoeDiver America. There, you can mix different brands and they do offer full factory and joe diver warrenties.I have the TUSA RS530 and it does swivel. After I received it, I went to their website and registered it. This reg has free parts for life. My lds is an authorized TUSA dealer. I have taken it there to be serviced and have not had to pay for parts. I am happy with my purchase.

First things first, get certified and see how you like diving and what type of diving you want to do over time.

Buying gear without researching it is like an arranged marriage, it may work out but there will be issues.

My suggestion, after certification, is to start researching gear and buying when you know what you are getting. I have a lot of different manufactures names on my gear, to buy a package I would have to insure that I was getting an excellent deal in relation to what I could buy, not just how much they were marking down theirs. Price is concern for me but not the only concern, if you choose the right gear it lasts a long time.

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone...I kinda knew I should wait...just being new to this gear heavy sport I wasn't sure if that package type of deal existed all the time. I am a skydiver and am pretty familiar with dropping alot of dough on gear so the price wasn't the issue really for me(I'm used to it), it was the purchases practicality. I am actually taking the classes on Wake Island in the Pacific, I'm here on a temp mission so I won't be here for long and wouldn't receive any gear I ordered for another month or so when I get back to Hawaii already certified.

The research I did on that computer actually made it seem to be the preferred console computer on that site with the most reviews(of the good kind and number) and had the AI and Nitrox capability. What brands/models would you prefer over this one? I suppose I don't know what I don't know but I like the idea of having a small console with all the information I need easily accessible.

Anyways again thanks, I'll have to wait until I get back to Oahu and find a dive shop or club to dive with to figure all this out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom