Decisions.... Decisions... HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krissydt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been shopping around for months and I just seem to discover more options and struggling to make a decision so I hope someone can help.

Our criteria when selecting this equipment was as follows:
· Integrated weights
· Light weight for travel
· Good tank fastener (we have had too many incidents of tanks slipping out)
· Well rated and high quality
· The majority of our dives are warm water dives but since we live in Canada and want to go to Galapagos some day, we would like to have the option to do cold water
· Don't expect to go deeper than 100 feet on a regular basis
· light weight mouth piece. I have had multiple gum surgeries and need something that does not rub on my gums around my front teeth and doesn't cause jaw fatigue

At the moment, we are considering:
1) BCD: Cressi Travellight, Beauchat Masterlift
2) Regulator: Apeks Flight, Apeks xtx200, Scubapro MK17/G250, Scubapro MK25/s600, Mares Proton Ice Extreme (all available for the same price in a package deal)
3) Octo: Apeks Flight, Scubapro R295, Apeks Egress, Apeks XTX20
4) Console: Subgear XP10, Suunto Vyper Console

My husband and I do about 30 - 40 dives per year so definitely time to invest in our own gear but really having trouble deciding. Any guidance, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

1) I can't comment on the B/C have not seen any of them.
2) I would say down grade to the Apekx XTX50 same basic 1st stage internals as the XTX200 and the the 2nd is almost identical. this should save close to $200 going by the prices I have seen.
3) I would stick with the XTX50 octo.
4) SubGear console. If you like to download your data you can use a generic irda interface. The viper download cable will probably cost around $100.

1. I really like my Aqualung Zuma which is a pure travel BC but the jury is still out on how long it will hold up. Ours are headed towards a half dozen trips with 40 dives each on them and still holding up just fine. We pack our fins, BC, reg, computer, etc all in our carry on so the BC packs down very small. Another brand to consider is Zeagle which has a nice selection of BCs. A top travel model I would take a long look at is the Stiletto or Lazer for women. I recently saw the Zena in action and would look at it as well.

2. Atomic regs always top my list. Long service intervals (2 years) and a high end design across their entire line. I have rarely heard a single complaint about them.

3. Same for the Octo. A pair of Z2 second stages on a Z2 octo is a fine regulator that will last a long time.

4. I would add the Veo or the Puck to my shortlist. I know two divers who dive their Puck and love it as it is very easy to use and does everything most rec divers need. I have owned a Vytec DS from Suunto and was not particularly pleased with the menu system on it. The Suunto Zoop is a different animal altogether and would be on my recommendation list. Any one of those three will get the job done and then some. I am sure the XP10 is a fine computer but I haven't played with it like the others. It is a fairly new offering in the states.

Have you looked into the Backplate/wing travel options. DSS and Oxycheq are great options for a durable,low profile, compact setup. I dive the Oxycheq 18lb wing with the travel SS plate and the delux harness with two small weight pockets. Sweet.

Our criteria when selecting this equipment was as follows:
· Integrated weights
· Light weight for travel
· Well rated and high quality
· The majority of our dives are warm water dives but since we live in Canada and want to go to Galapagos some day, we would like to have the option to do cold water
· Don't expect to go deeper than 100 feet on a regular basis
· light weight mouth piece. I have had multiple gum surgeries and need something that does not rub on my gums around my front teeth and doesn't cause jaw fatigue
With regard to tank fastening, I'd recommend looking at BCDs that have 2 tank cambands. I'd also recommend that you make sure the camband is threaded properly and then tightened adequately. Be sure to pre-wet the camband prior to clamping it down, particularly when it's new. Finally, do a functional check to test whether the tank is affixed to the BCD securely -- lift the BCD by the carrying handle or shoulder straps. I've conducted hundreds of dives with various BCDs using the popular threaded-style buckle, and I've never had a tank slip out. Some people swear by the Scubapro latching tank band. :idk:

I've never experienced mouthpiece-induced gum-rubbing or jaw fatigue. You may want to try out the Aqualung comfo-bite mouthpiece. I've also heard that people have had good luck with the Seacure moldable mouthpiece. These mouthpieces can be affixed to pretty much any reg out there.

FWIW, the weight of the reg on land may not be the same as its "weight" in the water. In the water, each second stage traps a certain amount of gas. This gas contributes to the buoyant force acting on the reg, effectively making it feel lighter. As you already know, the weight of the reg on land (dry carry weight) does affect the weight of your travel bag.

The Apeks Flight reg uses a proprietary second stage-hose connection. It's supposed to make it easy to hand-tighten the union and remove the second stage for easy transport. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, this means that a regular low-pressure reg hose can't be used with the second stage. Reg hoses don't fail very often, but I still think it's a curious design choice.

Whatever reg you get, make sure that you have a competent reg tech who can overhaul, repair, and tune it properly. Most of the regs on the market nowadays breathe very nicely. Arguably, the most important factor in reg performance in the real world is the skill of the reg tech who last tuned it.

Computer-Error-Replace-User.jpg

I like the Comfo-bite mouthpiece. It's basically like a regular mouthpiece, except it has another section that goes across your mouth inside your teeth. You can use it with that piece on the top or on the bottom, although it is marked for the standard way, which is with the "bridge" on top.

I feel like it lets me relax my mouth more yet still retain the reg -- maybe that would help you (even though I wouldn't say that it does not touch your gums - not sure if there are any that avoid that). Also, on some of the standard mouthpieces, the "wings" feel like they are too long for me. Of course it all depends on the individual. I was first introduced to the concept when a Comfo-Bite came on an Aqua Lung snorkel I bought.

I bought the Comfo-Bite from Dive Gear Express for about $14, including a nice, flat-clasped zip tie, and added them to my Zeagle brand regs. I'm not sure if there are regs that they don't fit, or if all of them are standardized (?). Here is what it looks like:
cb1.jpg
cb2.jpg

More than you wanted to know about comfo-bites...

I bought the Comfo-Bite from Dive Gear Express for about $14, including a nice, flat-clasped zip tie, and added them to my Zeagle brand regs. I'm not sure if there are regs that they don't fit, or if all of them are standardized (?). Here is what it looks like:
View attachment 91773
View attachment 91774
Warning: There appears to be more than one version of the comfo-bite mouthpiece circulating.

Some have slightly different dimensions. Some appear to be made of different materials. I have one that's clear silicone, but all of the others I own are black. The black ones can be made of a shiny silicone-like material or a more matte-finished rubber.

The Aqualung comfo-bite and generic one (sold by Trident as "Comfort Bite") seem to fit most regs. I believe that they are available in a "junior" size for smaller mouths. I think Trident pays royalties to the patent holder of the original comfo-bite.

I will only purchase the Apeks-branded comfo-bite mouthpieces for my Apeks regs. The generic Trident one doesn't fit well on the second stage opening (XTX200) where the mouthpiece is mounted. It's hard to describe, but I think the Apeks opening is slightly smaller. When I've attached the generic one on my XTX200, the bridge on the comfo-bite gets pinched together a little. This puckers the bridge up too high. It doesn't look right, and it doesn't feel right.

For Aqualung regs, the comfo-bite part number is: 109438.
For Apeks regs, the comfo-bite part number is: AP5324K.
The Trident "Comfort Bite" part number is RP89.

When in doubt, purchase the mouthpiece from a retailer that will accept a return (provided that it wasn't used).

SeaCure mouth pieces are nice and used them on my Zeagle regs, but I actually liked the Atomic comfort mouthpiece so much I never moved the SeaCure from the Zeagle. I have never tried the comfort mouthpiece from Aqualung or Trident so they might be even better.

Bubbletrubble,

I have seen what you are talking about. When I was searching for a real Comfo Bite for my SCUBA regs, I ran across quite a few variations.

My snorkels have a clear silicone "Comfo-Bite" (they are Aqualung brand snorkels), and that is how I first discovered them. It wasn't until later that I ever tried a mouthpiece without that "bridge." Right away I could tell that I prefer the Comfo-Bite.

It may be my imagination, but the clear ones seem to be a bit "floppier" to me, and so I purposely didn't get one of those for my SCUBA reg.

I also saw a clear silicone Comfo-Bite at Diver's Direct in the snorkel area, labelled as "small." It was *really* small (the mouth part). Like, child size.

I am pretty sure the one I got from Dive Gear Express has the "Comfo-Bite" markings on it, right in the rubber. They fit very well on the Zeagle regs - have not tried them on others.

I checked Dive Gear Express's website and they have this to say, so it looks like it is genuine (and also silicone, albeit black):

Comfo-Bite Mouthpiece with Low-Profile Tie Wrap
Dive Gear Express offers the Comfo-Bite™ regulator mouthpiece patented by Aqua Lung®, Inc. The Comfo-Bite noticeably reduces the jaw fatigue some divers experience when holding the regulator in their mouths for extended periods. Available in black silicone, we also include a special low-profile tie wrap that lays very flat. The Comfo-Bite mouthpiece fits all Dive Rite regulators and most other brands. This mouthpiece is very popular with rebreather divers and comes standard on the ISC Megalodon rebreather.

Their part number is FXM-CBMP

Blue Sparkle

PS: Just as a note re: Straegen's post. I think the mouthpiece that comes on the Atomic Regs is the Comfo-Bite.

Back
Top Bottom