Certified-Compiled a gear list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will_Evo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok so first off I have finished the PADI open water and advanced open water dive courses and in doing so have dove to 100 ft, dove a wall that drops off to thousands of feet, dove 2 different wrecks (USS Stoner and WW2 era japanese ship), dove at night and dove with 2 white tip reef sharks touching distance away all of them with 75-150ft visibility. I have been diving on Wake Island and have absolutely zero complaints. Our instructor was very good and an awesome guy to dive with. It has been an incredible experience that I can't wait to bolster with personal gear.

With that said, I have been keeping and updating a list for the past month of my "wish list" gear and think I have finally come to a point where most things are considered. I am of course going to wait to get back to Oahu to make any purchases and will be getting a wet suit once there but I feel very comfortable with this selection and think I will be getting most of it and if not something very similar with the same options. The total for all of the gear comes to just over 2000$.

Mask/Computer- Oceanic Datamask
Snorkel-Aqua Lung Impulse 3 Flex
Fins-Mares Volo Power(I am still undecided here and am waiting to meet up with my instructor to talk more fin talk)
BCD- Sherwood Avid+Gemini Inflator(or something very similar)
Regulator-Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10

To clarify with the mask, my instructor dove one on every dive we did and he swears by it and the HUD display. At first I was put off by the price until I realized that for a AI Computer alone it would cost 700-900$ so adding an extra 100 for a mask and computer that happen to have a totally hands free design is very appealing to me.(especially after diving a traditional console...Blahh)

I chose the Snorkel again based on the opinion of my instructor who swears by it

The fins like I said above I am not at all set on, I really want to try a few designs before investing in anything

BCD is jacket type(what I want) and has an Air2 system which I have heard both good and bad things about, but it gets rid another hose and is no more expensive than an octopus.

Chose the regulator based on reviews, cold and warm water capable, nitrox ready, and has the swivel connection to the second stage.

So with all this said what do you think? A pretty good setup for the price yea?

-Evo

How much commission does your instructor make on the deal?

I am sure you are being sarcastic here, but this was all priced on leisure pro, so im expecting a bit of a fluctuation at an actual shop. The total for this gear isn't out of my budget or over what I was expecting to pay so the money here isn't an issue. I also realize much of this isn't necessarily required to go on a dive and can be had much cheaper, but it is my experience in life (and these types of sports especially) that you get what you pay for. I spent a great deal of time comparing, pricing, reading reviews, talking with friends and my instructor to finally get to this point in my list. I am merely looking for personal experiences with said gear as a last comparable aspect that I can use to make final decisions.

-Evo

I've known several people who have accidentally lost their mask, mostly during surf shore entries. For that reason, I wouldn't want to get an expensive mask, let alone one that had a HUD and functioned as a wireless AI dive computer. I'd rather get two inexpensive masks that fit well (one to use right away and the other to use as a backup) and use the rest of my scuba budget to pay for gas fills, further training, and dive trips (local and tropical). :D

The rest of the gear on your list looks fine. The Air2 wouldn't be my preference for an alternative air source, but as long as you and your buddy practice air-sharing ascents with it and can conduct them comfortably, I see no issue with that configuration for open water recreational diving.

The best advice I could give you right now is:
  • Restrict your gear choices to manufacturers who stand by their products and provide good customer service.
  • Try out any gear before purchasing it.
  • The most expensive gear isn't the best gear for you. Often times, the middle-of-the-line pieces of gear that shops use as rental gear are robust and reliable performers.
  • If a salesman uses the line: "Well, it's life support equipment so you should buy the best..," discount everything he says and consider purchasing gear from a more knowledgeable person/shop.
  • Branch out a little and start diving with other experienced divers in your area. Join one or more local dive clubs. Your new buddies will be happy to share their opinions on all kinds of gear. Many times they'll be happy to let you demo their gear on an upcoming dive.
  • When it comes to gear purchases, don't take what your instructor says as the gospel truth -- particularly when it comes to which pieces of gear represent a good "value." Question everything, but be nice about it. Take what he says for what it is...the opinion of one experienced diver who has access to insider discounts. As DevonDiver alluded to, some shops even give dive pros a commission for helping make a sale to one of their students. Please understand that I don't know whether this is the case with your instructor. Most of the instructors/AIs/DMs I know get substantial discounts (60% off MSRP in some cases) on scuba gear which affect the cost:value equation. Essentially, scuba manufacturers and local dive shops use teaching pros as marketing billboards for the impressionable students that take their classes.

Have fun picking out your gear. There's a lot of good stuff out there on the market...

Your choices are influenced by limited expsure to gear your inst likes. Shop, ask questions, investigate other equipment - try other eq if you can.

Personally, I wouldnt be interested in any of the gear you list. You also might really want to add a spg to your list.

dive with a different instructor...

everyone swear by some stuff... some good some bad... u have to find one that really fit u...

its not about how much or how little money u have.

PM sent

Have fun picking out your gear. There's a lot of good stuff out there on the market

Thanks, all good advice and I love the last line, I'm trying to have some fun in the process, but not at any sacrifice to finding decent, practical, reliable gear.

Your choices are influenced by limited expsure to gear your inst likes. Shop, ask questions, investigate other equipment - try other eq if you can.

My choices are influenced by the past month of research I have done. When I say I spent hours(probably 3-5 hours on each piece of gear) comparing, pricing, and researching gear... I mean it. I was very thorough. Although the datamask IS something he turned me onto, if I didn't think it was worth the money, I wouldn't look twice but it happens to not be that bad. For example, a Oceanic VT3 with transmitter is 900$ on leisurepro, the data mask is 1000$. I am willing to pay the extra 100 to have a HUD built into my mask. Its a great piece of equipment I got to try, fits my face, and is hands free. Whats not to like?

dive with a different instructor...

everyone swear by some stuff... some good some bad... u have to find one that really fit u...

its not about how much or how little money u have

The only thing on my list that is the most expensive in its category is the mask/computer, but even then thats not a fair point considering its one of the only of its kind.

Most of the stuff I have picked out is neither top of the line (For example I could have spent another 400 on an atomic regulator) nor the cheapest. It's not about the money, its about the quality.

-Evo

I for one would not recommend to anyone to get a HUD mask system. Yes it has a really cool factor. But consider the possibilities of it getting lost or damaged; Your mask may get kicked off your face, your mask may get damaged from X reason. ( I have seen a brand new mask get shattered by an innocent act of placing a tank and it falling on the mask...) Now if this happens, you loose a mask and a computer. Your dive day just cost you 1000$.

Loosing a mask in general is not that big of a deal, however loosing a mask and computer in one shot...is .

SO get a good wrist mount computer. You can find many for around 350 - 500$ - Has two gases and allows you to replace the battery yourself. Get a good fitting mask and then buy two. Keeping one as a spare.

Now talk to other folks beside your instructor. He has a one sided opinion. Get others to shine a light on your gear choice, as you are doing here. DO not buy a BC yet, get out and about and rent before you buy.

Consider the environment you will be diving most.

Get the best REG that you can afford and if you do dive cooler waters, get one that is environmentally sealed and balanced. DO not skimp on this purchase. Brands you should consider other that Oceanic, APEKS, SCUBAPRO MARES And Aqua Lung, - there are many more to look at and try.

TRY before you buy.

I'm with some of the others when it comes to the mask/computer. We have the Oceanic at our shop. I've played around with it in the shop (never actually tried it in the water) and it's pretty cool; but, I found out this past weekend how easy a mask can be stripped from your head and how quickly it can sink away from you into the depths. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lo...bapro-mask-hathaway-bridge-span-4-3-11-a.html
It was a sick enough feeling thinking about the $200 worth of mask and lenses that was headed to the bottom; I can't imagine $1000! I would go with a standard mask and a wrist mount AI computer.

As for the snorkel, I'm with your instructor on the AL Impulse. Going from an Aqua-Lung shop to a ScubaPro shop, the only piece of equipment I miss is the Impulse snorkel. SP makes some good snorkels (I now use a Shotgun) but I don't feel any of them compare to the Impulse for breathing, comfort, dryness, and ease of clearing.

I use an Air2 and like it. It took some getting used to going from a standard octopus set-up; but once your used to it, it works pretty well and helps simplify your rig.

Back
Top Bottom