New Equipment Set Approval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OrnithO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,
I'm rather new to diving (only 13 logged dives for now...) but I really like it and as I will go for over a month of non-stop diving this summer I want to buy my own gear too.
After months of going through reviews and from professionals and customers I finally was able to make a list of the gear I want. However I would like one last approval before buying it. I don't really know if all of the elements of my list go well together...
I will mostly dive in places such as Malta or Greece where the maximum water temperature is 22-24°C and usually not under 16-18°C.

Here is the list:
  • Mask: Black Frameless with a single lens - low volume
  • Snorkel: A flexible and cheap one...
  • Fins: AQUALUNG Slingshot
  • Wetsuit: MARES 2nd Skin - 7mm
  • BCD: MARES Dragon MRS+ (non-AT version)
  • Regulator: APEKS XTX 100
  • Octopus: APEKS XTX40 - Yellow Octopus Version (comes in a pack with the main reg)
  • SPG: SCUBAPRO Compact Twin Console (with depth gauge)
  • Hood: MARES Comfort - 5mm
  • Gloves: AQUALUNG Aleutian Kevlar - 3mm
  • Boots: MARES Diveboot Trielastic - 5 mm
  • Computer: SUUNTO Vyper (The simple one without Air Integration)
  • Compass: CRESSI Capsule
  • Light: NITERIDER Blackwater 3000 (For night/wreck dives)
  • Backup Light: AQUALUNG Lumen 6
  • Knife: SCUBAPRO Mako (steel)
  • Bag: MARES Cruise Backpack Pro
I will try on and see the fit of the wetsuit, boots, gloves, hood and mask before buying them. And I will change for an equivalent model if something doesn't fit.

So any advice, or anything missing or wrong?
Thanks for everyone's answer.

what were your reasons for selecting the products you have? Are they strongly based/founded?

That's a pretty specific list.
How did you arrive at selecting the Mares Dragon MRS+ BCD, the Slingshot fins, and the NiteRider Blackwater 3000 light?

Well for things like the backup light or the compass I went with something not too expensive...
For the rest I based my opinion on reviews found on the web and in magazines. I also read a lot of user reviews on leisure pro and Scubaboard.
For the Mares Dragon, I read reviews on websites such as squidoo.com and user reviews on leisure pro. I read somewhere it was the customer choice in 2009 or 2008 which sounded quite convincing. Also I saw a bit everywhere on the web and in magazines that Mares is very good with integrated weight and they have a great release system. I also liked the bladder on the Dragon which is slightly going around the tank giving a jacket BCD with a bladder shape close to a wing BCD thus allowing a better horizontal position in the water.
For the slingshots I wanted some standard fins (not split) because of the maneuverability they procure for wreck diving. I had also the Mares X-Stream and the Scubapro Seawing Nova. After some reviews I found out that the Mares weren't as good as the others and I liked the ability to change the strength settings on the slingshots.
For the Blackwater, I was looking for a not too expensive canister light on leisure pro and it was the cheapest. By digging a little bit I found it was a good light. Everyone left positive reviews, and the customer service seemed very nice (based on comments from owners). They also offer a wide range of mounts for the lamp which could be useful in the future. I also liked the position of the canister on the BCD strap on the front, which is much more accessible than a canister strapped on the tank.

But nothing is carved in stoned yet so if I did something wrong or if you don't agree: Don't hesitate to speak so! I welcome any comment

Oki let me take a shot at this.: My replies are in bold italic.
Get the gear that will fit you properly and get gear that will fit the type of dive environment you will do most.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the list:
  • Mask: Black Frameless with a single lens - low volume - Great Mask. Just make sure it fits your face properly.
  • Snorkel: A flexible and cheap one...You do not need this - especially if you want to dive wrecks. Entanglement hazard.
  • Fins: AQUALUNG Slingshot - Look at OMS slip stream. They are excellent fins for all kinds of diving. Also get spring straps.
  • Wetsuit: MARES 2nd Skin - 7mm - If it fits your properly go for it.
  • BCD: MARES Dragon MRS+ (non-AT version) I am not a fan - but look at Zeagle Ranger for a BC or look at a backplate and wing
  • Regulator: APEKS XTX 100 - Excellent
  • Octopus: APEKS XTX40 - Yellow Octopus Version (comes in a pack with the main reg) Thats just fine
  • SPG: SCUBAPRO Compact Twin Console (with depth gauge) NO. Get an SPG only. like this: http://www.omsdive-ca.com/spg.html And get a wrist mount compass. The bulk is not the best for what you want to do. Like dive wrecks. Less is more here. You want to streamline for wreck diving.
  • Hood: MARES Comfort - 5mm - if it fits. get it.
  • Gloves: AQUALUNG Aleutian Kevlar - 3mm - OK
  • Boots: MARES Diveboot Trielastic - 5 mm - Ok
  • Computer: SUUNTO Vyper (The simple one without Air Integration) If it is Nitrox compatable get it. If not find one that is and that you can change the battery yourself.
  • Compass: CRESSI Capsule - SUUNTO wrist mount.( See reg)
  • Light: NITERIDER Blackwater 3000 (For night/wreck dives) Look for used Can lights. Light Monkey are great if you can find one. Check this out here. I just googled for an example: Light Monkey Dive Lights
  • Backup Light: AQUALUNG Lumen 6 - LEDs are king.
  • Knife: SCUBAPRO Mako (steel)- You do not need a big knife. One that is stainless and serrated. Plus a second cutting tool like shears.
  • Bag: MARES Cruise Backpack Pro - I actually went and got a sports bag with wheels at Costco for 50$ works just fine. Travels well.
I will try on and see the fit of the wetsuit, boots, gloves, hood and mask before buying them. And I will change for an equivalent model if something doesn't fit.

So any advice, or anything missing or wrong?

An interesting selection of gear, and diversity of brands. It is not clear where you plan to do most of your diving (colder waters vs Mediterraean, for example). And, all of the responses you will get (including mine) reflect a certain element of personal bias / preference, which may not be applicable to your diving. But, you did ask for advice, and the personal biases come with advice, at no extra charge. Several of my comments will echo those that scarefaceDM also made.
  • Mask: Black Frameless with a single lens - low volume Very good choice, make sure it fits YOU
  • Snorkel: A flexible and cheap one...If you really want a snorkel, this is fine.
  • Fins: AQUALUNG Slingshot Fins are OK, I wouldn't buy them for the money they cost. For a stiffer fin I prefer the ScubaPro Jet, for a light recreational fin I prefer the Mares Quattro. Whatever you buy, get spring straps.
  • BCD: MARES Dragon MRS+ (non-AT version) I do not recommend either a jacket BCD or a weight-integrated unit. Also, this one also has a lot of unecessary padding. And, it is on the high end of cost. If it works for you, fine. I would suggest you at least consider a back-inflate BCD (whether BP/W or not is irrelevant - I don't want to start another thread on the 'evils' of the SB BP/W mindset) and use a weight belt.
  • Regulator: APEKS XTX 100 Good choice
  • Octopus: APEKS XTX40 - Yellow Octopus Version (comes in a pack with the main reg) Fine
  • SPG: SCUBAPRO Compact Twin Console (with depth gauge) A reasonable choice. I would personally go with only a SPG and use a computer for depth, but that is just be me.
  • Hood: MARES Comfort - 5mm Fine, make sure it fits YOU
  • Computer: SUUNTO Vyper Good computer, nitrox-capable. I would go wrist-mount
  • Compass: CRESSI Capsule Why this one? Suunto SK-7, wrist-mounted would be my suggestion.
  • Backup Light: AQUALUNG Lumen 6 Good light, but I would go LED for my back-up
  • Knife: SCUBAPRO Mako (steel) Nice knife, rather (too) expensive. I would go with simple shears and a small stainless folding knife as a back-up - you can buy both for (less than) half of what the Mako would cost.
So any advice, or anything missing or wrong? Thanks for everyone's answer.
Nothing at all is 'wrong' with any of your choices. Buy what you are most comfortable with. After all it is YOUR money, not ours. You are welcome.

• Mask: Black Frameless with a single lens - low volume Fine

• Snorkel: A flexible and cheap one... Do you need it for the conditions? If not, ditch it. You shouldn't be using it for wreck penetration dives.

• Fins: AQUALUNG Slingshot Look at Scubapro Jets, OMS Slipstreams or Forcefin Pro.... better control for wreck diving. If operating inside a wreck, you'll benefit from learning different fin kicks that these fin excel with.

• Wetsuit: MARES 2nd Skin - 7mm Fine

• BCD: MARES Dragon MRS+ (non-AT version) If you are serious about wreck diving and contemplating penetration dives, then you'll benefit from something more streamlined and minimalist. Your current choice has a myriad of entanglement hazards and won't allow you to stow the necessary equipment effectively.

• Regulator: APEKS XTX 100 Fine. For wreck penetration, you should investigate using a long (7') hose.

• Octopus: APEKS XTX40 - Yellow Octopus Version (comes in a pack with the main reg) Fine. Investigate using a neck bungee with this.

• SPG: SCUBAPRO Compact Twin Console (with depth gauge) Fine, but do you really need a twin console when you will also have a computer? A single SPG, with metal housing is perfectly adequate.

• Hood: MARES Comfort - 5mm Fine

• Gloves: AQUALUNG Aleutian Kevlar - 3mm Fine. Durability is key if you will be diving wrecks.

• Boots: MARES Diveboot Trielastic - 5 mm Fine

• Computer: SUUNTO Vyper (The simple one without Air Integration) Fine, look into getting a DSS wrist mount.

• Compass: CRESSI Capsule Cheaper and less bulky option is the Suunto SK7

• Light: NITERIDER Blackwater 3000 (For night/wreck dives) Adequate at this level of diving

• Backup Light: AQUALUNG Lumen 6 Have a look at the Aquatec Aquastar 5w. This is an excellent budget back-up (bright enough as a stand-alone night diving torch, with 18 hours burn time).

• Knife: SCUBAPRO Mako (steel) Pay the extra for the titanium version, far more long lasting, won't rust and stays sharp. Worth the extra cost. Having said that, there are alternative unbranded/generic ti knives available that are much cheaper than the Scubapro..

• Bag: MARES Cruise Backpack Pro Fine, if you want to spend money on it. I just use a tough PVC expedition bag.
If you plan on penetrating wrecks in the future, it is worth tailoring your configuration now, for optimal overhead environment function. Investigate what divers use for cave/wreck diving...

• Knife: SCUBAPRO Mako (steel) Pay the extra for the titanium version, far more long lasting, won't rust and stays sharp. Worth the extra cost. Having said that, there are alternative unbranded/generic ti knives available that are much cheaper than the Scubapro..

The only thing on this list I own, and can comment on, is the SP Mako Knife in stainless steel. It is a good, multi-purpose knife that is compact in size and made from a very good quality stainless. After two years of diving and snorkeling salt water, there is not a spec of rust to be found anywhere on it (I rinse the knife after every use, so that helps). One thing you might want to do before purchasing is try holding it while wearing the 3mm AL gloves you listed. I can grip it fine with my thinner SP Tropic Amara gloves; but due to it's compact size, it might feel a little small with the kevlar gloves. Other than that, it's a great little knife and that bottle opener on the end has come in handy!:drunks:

Sorry for the delay, I had some computer troubles....
First a big thank you to everyone for helping me out and giving such goods answers.

I will indeed make some equipment changes.
First I will not buy a snorkel. Thinking of getting one come from my OW manual witch says it's real important for surface dive, but I actually never really used it...
Second big change the SPG I will take one like scarefaceDM and DevonDiver.
I will also take the Suunto SK7, I didn't chose it because it looked a bit cheap and was afraid to end up with a crappy compass...
The Backup Light will also be changed for the Aquastar 5w.
And sorry for you NAUIwowee, I liked your comment on the mako, which confirms it good quality but it's true that a BCD knife seems a better idea and the mako seems only designed to be worn on the leg or the arm... I will have to take a extra bottle opener though :wink:
I will also try to find a cheaper sports bag.

I just need to abuse of your knowledge one last time for the spring straps. I havent found some for the Aqualung Slingshots and I was wondering if those from Scubapro would work?
I also have problem with the Niterider Blackwater 3000. I come from Switzerland and can't find it there. However I am going to California this summer for a tour (San Diego, LA, SF, Las Vegas) and I was wondering if anyone knew a shop where I could buy the light?

New change, after reading a few treads, mostly this one, relating troubling stories about Mares' weight system. I am thinking of switching from the Mares Dragon to a Black Diamond from Aqualung. I know it's a bit bulky and slightly more expensive. But it seems well worth it, especially after reading about the problems related to the dragon...

Any opinions, or recommendation?

Also if anyone has an answer about my previous post on the spring strap and the NiteRider Blackwater 3000, I would be grateful.
I was thinking maybe Sport Chalet has it. It's one of the dealer on the NiteRider web-page. But I don't know if they sell this model specifically. Does anyone has seen it in store?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom