your LDS and servicing times...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
how long does it take (on avg) for your LDS to do annual servicing/vis/hydro/etc. on your gear? seems like mine can't keep up...i understand our hydro/tank stuff is contracted but reg/bc servicing seems to be backed up for miles....been 3 weeks since i turned in my mk2/r380 and it is still in line :(....i need to learn how to service my own gear :fishslap:

My LDS guarantees 1 week turn-around for reg servicing and testing.

My LDS guarantees 1 week turn-around for reg servicing and testing.

where are you in CO? i was in aurora from 04-07. loved it there.

...sounds like you've just discovered one good reason why many divers own back-up gear.

...sounds like you've just discovered one good reason why many divers own back-up gear.

i get that...and have my own back up set but it doesn't change the fact that servicing shouldn't take that long

I like the way one of my local shops arranges reg servicing. A customer reserves a servicing appointment 2-3 weeks in advance, depending on how busy the department is. Then, the customer drops off the reg on the day before the servicing appointment. The routine overhaul is done the following day, and the shop calls the customer to let him know the work is done. For a typical overhaul, the customer is without his reg for less than 24 hours.

If the customer wants a quickie inspection that doesn't require disassembly, often times it can be done in a few minutes while the customer waits. By a "quickie inspection," I'm referring to a simple cracking pressure test on a magnehelic, measurement of i.p., and a cursory visual inspection.

The only reason the shop should be in possession of a customer's reg is if the reg tech is actively overhauling it or trying to fix a problem with it. If an unusual replacement part needs to be ordered, then the customer should be notified and given an estimate of how long the part will take to ship from the manufacturer.

I like the way one of my local shops arranges reg servicing. A customer reserves a servicing appointment 2-3 weeks in advance, depending on how busy the department is. Then, the customer drops off the reg on the day before the servicing appointment. The routine overhaul is done the following day, and the shop calls the customer to let him know the work is done. For a typical overhaul, the customer is without his reg for less than 24 hours.

This is how it should be done. Would you drop your car off at a service center and leave it there until they "got around to fixing it"? on the other hand the local marine service center here in town has you make an appointment for 2 to 3 weeks out then once you actually drop it off then you go to the end of the line and can still be 2 to 3 weeks out. I guess it just must be different with recreational products:confused:.

Also, there are some shops that will put gear to the back because you didn't buy it from them. I quit using the shop I got my OW cert at because of this and the fact that he was always in a bad mood. This guy would make you wait months because he was mad you didn't buy his overpriced scubapro stuff.

We in Colorado must enjoy an outstanding bunch of dive shops. If I dropped my reg off on Saturday, they would call me later in the week and tell me it is done. I did have a problem last time and that made them keep it another 2 or 3 days to figure it out. Other than that, no problems no complaints. 2-3 weeks and no end in sight seems a little out of line to me.

Since it is the beginning of the season, maybe everybody wants it done at the same time. Maybe taking it in for service in February or early March would help solve the problem IDK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom