Shock cord vs. double sided snap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Light Eternal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey there, I have seen a lot of example of BP/W setups where people use shock cord to attach their SPGs to a snap. Is there a reason people do this instead of using a double sided snap? It seems to me that the shock-corded snap would fail a lot easier...

Maybe I'm missing something, but I want to start clipping my SPG so I need to make a decision.

First of all, failure of that point of attachment isn't a big deal, right? Worst case scenario is that you lose the $7 bolt-snap on a dive. The more likely scenario, if the attachment of the bolt-snap fails, is that it will probably stay clipped to your D-ring and you may have to search a little to locate your SPG. No big deal for part of one dive.

Lots of simple brass-and-glass SPGs don't have a convenient "loop" to attach a bolt-snap or double-ender. That's why people lash the eye of a bolt-snap (using bungee or caveline) to where the SPG connects to the HP hose.

Theoretically, you could use a short double-ender for that connection, but the gate used to clip off to the D-ring won't be able to spin freely. This may make clipping/unclipping more difficult. Note that I said a "short" double-ender because if it's too long...it makes clipping/unclipping more difficult. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

FWIW, you don't need to have a BP/W setup to fashion a clip for the SPG in this manner. It works just as well with a conventional jacket BCD.

You can also just use a bolt-snap and a zip-tie.

Zip tie, perfect... Never thought of that!
I've used a hair-tie for this application, too. You can use anything you want.

I think it makes a lot of sense to purchase a good length of bungee. It's useful for a lot of scuba-related things. My save-a-dive kit contains both bungee cord and zipties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom