Noob gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowzrul

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have read a bunch of threads on here about gear and feel like I have a little better understanding. I really like my LDS but wanted to bounce my idea off some folks here before I make my next purchase. I already bought fins, mask & snorkel. I have decided to buy regulator setup next. Here is what I was looking at and why.

Atomic Z2 with Miflex (or Atomic Z2X)
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octopus
Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console

After some more dives and experience I could redistribute the Z2 as my secondary regulator and keep the Oceanic Console as a back-up computer. I just came back from Grand Cayman were I had my first dive so I am confident this is something I want to continue with. I appreciate any feedback.

Why not go right away with the Z2 Octo?

I find a wrist mounted computer more easier to use.....skip the console and just get a simple pressure gauge.....

Just the way I would go.......M

I would go with a totally atomic rig. It will make servicing easier if you move. I second the wrist mount computer or bottom timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on both the wrist mount computer, and with having everything Atomic. No point mixing them, although you can but it will make servicing easier if you stick with the same brand.

_Mitch

Z2 Octo is easily twice the price of the Oceanic Alpha 8. I know the Z2 is Atomics entry regulator so my intent was to buy a B2 (or better) later and move the Z2 as secondary. I eventually want a wrist computer but was going to start out with an entry level console and keep it as a back-up. Thanks for the feedback.

Why an air computer? I would definitely say go with a nitrox computer. You want to be able to grow into it and it's not much more to get one. Even if it's the veo100 nx. You don't want to pay for a nitrox class then have to buy whole new computer when you could have paid just a little more to start. Also, I agree with the wrist.

Atomic Z2 with Miflex (or Atomic Z2X)
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octopus
Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console

After some more dives and experience I could redistribute the Z2 as my secondary regulator and keep the Oceanic Console as a back-up computer.

Dunno about the Atomic, but the Alpha 8 is a very decent reg. I started off using one as a primary, and have the Octo version as secondary on my cold-water reg set. Veo computers work fine for me, but I agree about opting for a nitrox-capable unit. I like console setups...just one unit to look at, and you pretty much can't lose it, forget it, or drop it into the briny deep by accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom