Non permanent rental gear identification tags - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandDiversHI

Contributor
Reaction score
Problem:

We want to identify our rental gear by number (bcds and regs) but since we are turning it over every year we want to put the identification on some sort of tag that can be removed so we can sell it as used equipment at the end of its year of service.

Zip ties aren't going to cut it, we've been down that path. I just got a great suggestion for our rental dept relating to fins, so I thought I tap Scuba Board experience for any thoughts on the matter.

Appreciate the input.

Have you considered stainless steel split rings with a tag? Easy enough to hook on a bc. Reg could pose a problem as I would not like to run anything like that through the yoke.

No but I have seen them where the hose runs through the split ring with a retainer on the hose to keep it (the tag) up toward the first stage.

At the shop I work at we use Cattle Ear Tags zip tied onto BCD D rings and 1st stage yokes. They are very durable and easily transferable and the come numbered and/or color coded from 1-1000+. They are pretty cheap and fairly easy to find. On Kauai we have a feed store that had a few but we needed to order more online, I'm sure you can find them on Oahu or just Google "Cattle Ear Tags".

If you buy quality cable tys from Thomas & Betts with the stainless insert clips you should not have any problems. T & B are way better than the usual ty raps found in stores. Plus the cable tys will not mar your devices.

The cattle ear tags sounds like a good idea.

A couple of places I have worked in the past used old fashioned hotel key ring plastic tags with the large bore. I've also seen plastic pet tags used with split rings. They were printed with shop names, phone number, and ID#s. The HP hose was run through before attaching gauges/consoles to 1st stages. On the BCDs, the tags were double ziptied to one of the D-Rings. Different color was used for each shop (multiple shops). BCD tags had size & ID#. When a rental item was replaced the tag was transferred over.

At least for the regulator, I was at a place that used a 1 inch section of 3/4" PVC pipe. They painted numbers on the pipe then detached the PSG from the 1st stage, this time running the PSG cable through the pipe. Not removable by a diver, and it seemed to be holding up fine.

I'd guess you could do something similar with your BC on the inflator/deflator depending on the design.

The dive place was Don Fosters in Grand Cayman, so I'm pretty sure their stuff gets a lot of use.

PVC
One of the shops I worked at used the 1' pieces of PVC with the spg hose threaded through it. It worked, just didn't look as nice or as professional. The ID# fades over time and not enough space to put the shop ID/phone#.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom