Weight of Various Gear for Traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucetrinity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a few searches and couldn't find much current data for the actual weight of gear so here are a few examples. Weight is measured with a "travel digital scale" and is within .1 lb. of a US Postal scale.

BCDs (size is XL for all):

1) Oceanic Islander II - 7.0 lb.
2) Tusa Passage - 7.1 lb.
3) Cressi S114 - 10.0 lb.
4) Cressi Travelight (with bag) - 6.0 lb.

Regulators, hoses, gauges, computers (complete rig):

1) Oceanic EOS/FDX10, Oceanic Datamax Pro w/compass, Sherwood Sherwood Shadow Plus Octo - 5.4 lb.
2) ScubaPro X650/Mark 25, US Divers Scan 4, ScubaPro R390 Octo, inflator hose - 5.6 lb.
3) Atomic B1 with Miflex hose, Genesis Sidekick Octo, Suunto EON - 4.8 lb.
4) Hollis DC2, Genesis Sidekick Octo, US Divers Scan 4 - 5.4 lb.
5) Atomic B1 with swivel hose, Suunto Favor Air, Sherwood Shadow Plus Octo - 5.1 lb.
6) Aqualung Glacia, Aeris A1 Octo, ScubaPro brass SPG, inflator hose - 5.5 lb.

Gauges and computers:

1) ScubaPro brass SPG - 1.2 lb.
2) Suunto Favor Air w/compass - 1.6 lb.
3) Suunto EON w/compass - 1.4 lb.

Hopefully this will help in estimating travel weight .... feel free to add any gear that you have actually weighed (please don't guess).

Regards, Bruce

I just traveled to Provo with 2 sets of gear minus regs and it was less than 40lbs.

It included 2 cressi BC's, Cressi Frog Fins, Aqualung Slingshot Fins, 2 Masks & Snorkels, 4 Wetsuit boots, 2 skins, 1 3/2m and 1 3m shortie, waterproof case with a couple lights, batteries, oceanic geo, casio gsock, intova ic-12 case only. The regs would have put it over 50lbs. They werent too much in the carry-on with a laptop and a blanket.

Not sure on individual weights but I dont consider any of my gear "light weight" so anyone wanting to travel with 2 sets of warm water gear should be fine packing it together.

If you're a photographer though, i'm sure you know how much your camera, lights, and batteries weigh. Maybe they would be better in carry-on anyways.

I did a few searches and couldn't find much current data for the actual weight of gear so here are a few examples. Weight is measured with a "travel digital scale" and is within .1 lb. of a US Postal scale.

BCDs (size is XL for all):

1) Oceanic Islander II - 7.0 lb.
2) Tusa Passage - 7.1 lb.
3) Cressi S114 - 10.0 lb.
4) Cressi Travelight (with bag) - 6.0 lb.

Regulators, hoses, gauges, computers (complete rig):

1) Oceanic EOS/FDX10, Oceanic Datamax Pro w/compass, Sherwood Sherwood Shadow Plus Octo - 5.4 lb.
2) ScubaPro X650/Mark 25, US Divers Scan 4, ScubaPro R390 Octo, inflator hose - 5.6 lb.
3) Atomic B1 with Miflex hose, Genesis Sidekick Octo, Suunto EON - 4.8 lb.
4) Hollis DC2, Genesis Sidekick Octo, US Divers Scan 4 - 5.4 lb.
5) Atomic B1 with swivel hose, Suunto Favor Air, Sherwood Shadow Plus Octo - 5.1 lb.
6) Aqualung Glacia, Aeris A1 Octo, ScubaPro brass SPG, inflator hose - 5.5 lb.

Gauges and computers:

1) ScubaPro brass SPG - 1.2 lb.
2) Suunto Favor Air w/compass - 1.6 lb.
3) Suunto EON w/compass - 1.4 lb.

Hopefully this will help in estimating travel weight .... feel free to add any gear that you have actually weighed (please don't guess).

Regards, Bruce

BCD - Tusa Liberator Sigma (size XL) - 8.6 lb.

Here's a site with some current airline baggage info .... note some airlines have a 26 lb. limit.

Airplane Carry On Rules by Luggage Online

Fins

1) Aqualung Hotshots size L/XL - 4.0 lb.
2) Mares Superchannel Full foot L/XL - 3.5 lb.
3) Tusa Xpert Split Full fin L/Xl - 3.1 lb.

I spent a lot of time paring down and selecting new gear for my wife and I. The result is that I can now pack both sets of (tropical-warm water) gear in one bag and it weighs almost exactly half as much as it used too. I did this by ditching things like heavy rubber equipment and replacing with plastic, eliminating large lights and using small LED type, reducing extra exposure gear, eliminating redundant equipment and extras etc.

N

Back
Top Bottom