Ready to buy some gear... thoughts on my selection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving for a few years now and am ready to buy some dive gear. I would love some thoughts from the forum...

My local dive shop helped me pick this stuff out... they didn't have a ton of selection, but then again, more options would just confuse me.

I want safe, basic stuff (I'm used to diving with rental gear so my standards are low) and I want stuff that can fit in a carry on. My budget is around $1000. I think I'll be a little over with this stuff but that's okay. Budgets are made to be broken (a little).

BCD: Aqua Lung Zuma (Zuma - New Color Midnight/Pink)
Very lightweight and folds nicely.

Regulator: Atomic Z2, with or without x (Atomic Aquatics Z2 Regulator)
I'm not sure if I want the swivel "Z2x" which adds $100. I've never dived with a swivel... are they worth the extra money?

Safe Second: Atomic SS1 (Atomic Aquatics SS1 Safe Seconds)
My dive shop will give this to me for free! I like that it connects to my BCD instead of having another dangling hose.

Console: Suunto CB - One (Suunto CB - One | Suunto)
I just want something really basic because I already have an Oceanic Geo dive computer and I don't want to spend too much. This is expandable if I want to add more later. Also, if my computer ever stopped working, I would end my dive.

Fins: Aqua Lung HotShot (HotShot)
I already have some pretty sweet, split fins but they are huge and not really practical for travelling... these ones fit into the below travel bag.

Carry On Travel Bag: Aqua Lung Departure (Departure Bag Carry-On)

I'm also thinking about getting a full dive skin (Buy Scuba Diving Full Dive Skins, Lycras and Jumpsuits at Scuba.com) because I hate wet suits with a passion. I want something easy and pleasant to put on. I don't really know the difference between all of the ones on the scuba.com site and since dive shops usually don't stock this stuff, I can't see them in advance. Any recommendations?

I already have other stuff (mask, flashlight, camera, flag, whistle, etc.)

My dive shop will give me a discount for getting all this gear and discounts on future servicing. I want to buy in this particular shop (versus online) because I want to support a woman-owned business and local, small businesses. Also, I feel safer getting it from someone I know.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate this great resource.

Tenley

Most of the gear looks pretty good, I'm not to familiar with the aqualung stuff, but they do have a good rep.

But I would suggest to stay away of the Suunto CB.As a LDS I see them come in on a regular basis.
All with the same problem, swiffel leaking. Not the biggest of all problems, but it seems to be their problem.
For the console, take a look at the Oceanic swiffel combo.

On a personal note: take a regular second stage as a safe second.

Most of the gear looks pretty good, I'm not to familiar with the aqualung stuff, but they do have a good rep.

But I would suggest to stay away of the Suunto CB.As a LDS I see them come in on a regular basis.
All with the same problem, swiffel leaking. Not the biggest of all problems, but it seems to be their problem.
For the console, take a look at the Oceanic swiffel combo.

On a personal note: take a regular second stage as a safe second.

Thanks so much! BTW, why would you recommend a regular second stage? I thought it would be great to have less things hanging off me.

Oh yeah, I want some dive scissors too. Those seem like they could be crucial.

It is harder to do an emergency ascent with an inflater / second style octo. Some people do like them however. I too would recommend a full second stage as your octo. If you are only diving warm water this seems good.
iIve shears are cheap enough that you don't really need to factor them in. Just pick up a pair from your local safety shop (or dive shop) and attach them with a double ended bold snap.

Nothing should be hanging off of you. I second the standard octo. I'd also look at a Zeagle Express tech before the Zuma. Retails for around 250 for the basic one and you fit it to you so that it always fits right. You can add weight pockets to it if you want bit for warm water I prefer a belt. How much is the Atomic reg? I sell complete sets for under 500 with a compact console. Not Atomic, but I'd bet a new OW diver could not tell the difference in breathing. If you have a GEO. The SPG, depth gauge as a back up and a compass are all you need. I like a watch as well in case the computer fails I can use it and the depth gauge with tables to keep diving.
The slingshot fins look too gimmicky to me. A plain paddle fin like jets, the Hollis F-1's, HOG tech, OMS slipstreams, the Dive Rite exp's, and most any other paddle fin before one with bands that can break, be lost, or get screwed up some other way.

With your budget I could put you in a back inflate BC that is weight integrated, a complete sealed reg set up, fins for around 850. And I'd go to walmart and buy a bag before I'd spend 170 bucks for that one. My carryon bag from Oceanic was 99 bucks and all me gear fits in it with fins strapped to the side.

One problem I see right off the bat is the Safe Second (AKA Air 2, integrated octo, Air 3 etc). If you're getting a Safe Second, you'll want to get a longer primary hose so you can have the option of a little space between you and any OOA diver you donate to. A normal 28-32 hose WILL NEVER cut it; 36in is pushing it, you'll be very cramped and it's not ideal. You'll want a 40in primary hose with a swivel attached or a 5ft or longer hose which you can wrap around you.

Seeing as you're a new diver I think the swivel would be right around your alley. I have heard that 360 degree OMNI swivels have had some failure issues. I have not heard of any simple angle adapters having any issues though. The difference is the 360 degree swivels at the ball joint, at the hose connection, and at the second stage (3 places).
Where as an angle adapter only swivels at the hose and second stage connection (2 places).
The angle adapter uses the standard trusted and proven connections that any hose and second stage will use. Where as the swivel used 2 standard ones plus the newer designed ball swivel (which is where failures have occurred).
XS-AC910-2T.jpg
90 degree Angle adapter
31U1AAC2L1L._SL160_AA160_.jpg
360 swivel
With swivel or angle adapters you usually go with a hose 40in in length or up. The hose wraps under your right arm then goes into your mouth.

Another thing to mention is you should be trained in the use of your Safe Second. If you've never used one before ask someone to train you, and practice an OOA scenario with it equipped to your BC. It doesn't have to be a whole payed for class. You can just get a friend or buddy to give you the run down in a pool.

The Safe second also used a different hose connection. Therefore you can't interchange your BC and Reg with normal regs or BC's set up for normal inflators. Say if your BC or reg were to break during your vacation, you'd need either an adapter or a new hose to be able to use rental gear in mix with your own. That is unless the rental gear is already set up for "Air 2's".

Other than that I'm sure you can make the gear work for you.

I have a couple of Suunto CB consoles (including the plastic Suunto analog SPG). I've been waiting for one of them to break so that I can replace it with a brass-and-glass SPG. I have over 300+ dives on one of them and the darn thing won't die. I service the HP spool about once a year, and I'm careful to use two wrenches when attaching the HP hose to the SPG (to prevent cracking of the plastic gauge). No problems so far. My girlfriend has the same CB console. She also has 300+ dives on hers with no issues. We take care of our stuff, though. I could see how one wayward tank could easily crush the plastic SPG.

FYI, the HP spool is easily replaceable (a few bucks for replacement spool). The -003 o-rings cost pennies apiece. Silicone lube is very cheap.

Before you plunk down money on the Zuma, ask your shop what options you would have if the BCD started leaking from the bladder once the warranty expires (1-2 years from purchase?). If Aqualung won't offer to repair the bladder for a reasonable price, I'd look at some other lightweight BC options. I like having the option of a replaceable inner bladder. Certain wings in BP/W setups have replaceable inner bladders.

People seem to like the Atomic Aquatics regs. They are rather pricey, though.

I prefer having an octo/backup reg that is the same as my primary reg. That being said, if I had to go with an octo/inflater combo, I'd probably go with the SS1. It seems to be the best in its class.

The Hotshot fins look pretty nice -- lightweight, relatively short, and easy-to-pack. Apparently, they are open-heel, but can be used without booties. What's not to like?

The Departure carry-on bag is probably not that useful. I suppose that it isn't a very conspicuous scuba bag. Corrosion-resistant zippers are nice. The lifetime warranty is good. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it, though. The shopowner should be throwing the bag in for free if you're purchasing everything else from her.

I looked at the other posting btw. I would suggest asking members to explain their beliefs in why they tell you to choose one type of set up over another. Often times it's because of their own comfort or style of diving rather than any actual extreme safety concern.

General fads on this board are to stay away from swivels and angle adapters because they give you more failure points. And Air 2's are more dangerous because you have to remove it from your mouth to vent.

Truth is with angle adapters there's not any real complex parts, I don't see them failing any more than a regular hose (not including swivels in this category). Yes they do add a failure point, but they do not increase the chance that it will fail, in my mind.
With Air 2's there are plenty of methods to ascend safely when donating air that do not involve taking it out of your mouth on ascent.

I myself originally was trained and bought an Air 2 for my first diving set up. I decided to switch because it no longer fit my style of diving. I wanted to tie down my inflator hose to keep it from dangling (something you should not do with an Air 2). There were several other issues that conflicted with MY style of diving. I have plenty of friends who do use Air 2's though and for them it works with their style.

As a new diver it's real easy to be swayed towards one type of gear especially if that's the only type the majority opinion expresses to you. Don't be afraid to ask the members to explain why they told you to go for one style of gear. You may find that their style doesn't fit the bill for your style.

Edit:
Forgot to mention. Air 2's tend to inflate faster than normal inflators. This is because the hose connection they use needs to be bigger in diameter to allow a greater deal of air flow should you be breathing off one.
It's something that may take some getting use to.
I also realize that I've been using the term Air 2 instead of Safe Second. They're all interchangeable names.
Integrated octo = Air2 = Air 1 = Air 3 = Safe Second => they're all the same system, just under different brand names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom