My gear: Ruthless thoughts/opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

temet vince

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, here is a brief list of my gear. Some of this is probably irrelevant (listing mesh bags, or a swimsuit, for example), but this is the list I keep so that I make sure and never leave the house without forgetting something that I need for diving, so I just copied and pasted. Please note that some items are redundant (I have 3 pairs of fins, for example). I purchased all of my equipment used, and most of it very, very cheap. Some of it was so cheap that I could buy it, use it, and if I don't like it, resell it and make a profit, which is way better than renting.

Since I bought almost all of it cheap/used, I don't mind people being ruthless as I don't have much emotional attachment to any of my equipment. I feel that it is working fine for now, but since I didn't rent before purchasing, and thus don't know if anything I'm using is sub par because I don't have much to compare it to, I'd like some opinions on what I might like to upgrade first, or even everything!

Thank you.

Fins:
Original Force Fins - These are my favorite thus far.
Mares Volo Fins - Nice, but I guess I don't understand the hype about them.
Aqua Lung/US Divers Rocket Fins - I'd prefer the Jet Fins.

Bags:
Dive Gear bag - Gear bag that packs up "inside itself" so that it's extremely small when not being used.
Small size mesh bag - thick mesh
Medium size mesh bag - thin mesh

Knives, Flashlights, and Accessories:
Underwater Kinetics Mini Q40 flashlight
Underwater Kinetics SL4 eLED flashlight
Scubapro 304 Stainless dive knife
Ocean Master Titanium Beta Alloy dive knife - Attached to BCD
Hammerhead Gear Keeper - Attached to BCD

Apparel:
Mares X-vision Liquidskin mask
Scubapro Tropic Amara 1.5mm gloves
Akona Adventure Gear booties - 1.5mm or 3mm thick: unknown
Henderson Aquatics Inc Neoprene weight belt - Not needed atm/weight integrated BCD
Scubapro 5mm full body wetsuit
Scubapro 6.5mm full body wetsuit
Swimsuit

Air:
M Line 3d Flex Dry Snorkel (same as Ocean Master) - Very dry, but restricted air flow imo.
Seacure II Hi-flow model
Oceanic Zeta second stage - Exact Model Unknown
Oceanic 3500psi first stage - Model Unknown
Oceanic octopus - Model Unknown

BCD and Computer:
Oceanic Chute 3 BCD - Fine for now, but would prefer a backplate and wing. Perhaps a Freedom Plate with Oxycheq Mach 5 wing?
Mares Mc1 Console Computer with air/nitrox pressure gauge - Old and needs an instruction manual.

Extras:
Padi card - for air refills
Log book (and a pen!)
Dive tables

Still Need:
Hood
Thicker Gloves
Thicker Booties
Compass

Last edited:
Ok, here is a brief list of my gear. Some of this is probably irrelevant (listing mesh bags, or a swimsuit, for example), but this is the list I keep so that I make sure and never leave the house without forgetting something that I need for diving, so I just copied and pasted. Please note that some items are redundant (I have 3 pairs of fins, for example). I purchased all of my equipment used, and most of it very, very cheap. Some of it was so cheap that I could buy it, use it, and if I don't like it, resell it and make a profit, which is way better than renting.

Since I bought almost all of it cheap/used, I don't mind people being ruthless as I don't have much emotional attachment to any of my equipment. I feel that it is working fine for now, but since I didn't rent before purchasing, and thus don't know if anything I'm using is sub par because I don't have much to compare it to, I'd like some opinions on what I might like to upgrade first, or even everything!

Thank you.

Fins:
Original Force Fins - These are my favorite thus far.
Mares Volo Fins - Nice, but I guess I don't understand the hype about them.
Aqua Lung/US Divers Rocket Fins - I'd prefer the Jet Fins.

Bags:
Dive Gear bag - Gear bag that packs up "inside itself" so that it's extremely small when not being used.
Small size mesh bag - thick mesh
Medium size mesh bag - thin mesh

Knives, Flashlights, and Accessories:
Underwater Kinetics Mini Q40 flashlight
Underwater Kinetics SL4 eLED flashlight
Scubapro 304 Stainless dive knife
Ocean Master Titanium Beta Alloy dive knife - Attached to BCD
Hammerhead Gear Keeper - Attached to BCD

Apparel:
Scubapro Tropic Amara 1.5mm gloves
Akona Adventure Gear booties - 1.5mm or 3mm thick: unknown
Henderson Aquatics Inc Neoprene weight belt - Not needed atm/weight integrated BCD
Scubapro 5mm full body wetsuit
Scubapro 6.5mm full body wetsuit
Swimsuit

Air:
M Line 3d Flex Dry Snorkel (same as Ocean Master) - Very dry, but restricted air flow imo.
Seacure II Hi-flow model
Oceanic Zeta second stage - Exact Model Unknown
Oceanic 3500psi first stage - Model Unknown
Oceanic octopus - Model Unknown

BCD and Computer:
Oceanic Chute 3 BCD - Fine for now, but would prefer a backplate and wing. Perhaps a Freedom Plate with Oxycheq Mach 5 wing?
Mares Mc1 Console Computer with air/nitrox pressure gauge - Old and needs an instruction manual.

Extras:
Padi card - for air refills
Log book (and a pen!)
Dive tables

Still Need:
Hood
Thicker Gloves
Thicker Booties
Compass

Oh my gosh! What a pile of....:nopile:

Just kidding:D

In this order, I'd focus on thicker boots, gloves, hood or hooded vest, then regs and computer if looking to improve your current set-up. The wetsuits, bags and accessories seem ok and the fins adequate. The BCD is fine and will do well for a while until your can make the jump to BP/W.

What's wrong with the rockets that you'd like out of jet fins?
Ditch the volo's if you can make a buck on them.

Not sure why you'd need 2 knives but a backup is nice.

Ditch one of the wetsuits. Keep whichever is more comfortable, most likely the 5mm and then buy a hooded vest. If it's cold enough for a hood then it's cold enough for a hooded vest.

If you sell the regs keep the mouthpiece. Nothing wrong with the regs though and I'd hold onto em as a backup/deco reg.

Nothing wrong with BC. No experience with computer, but whatever.

Hood-Get a hooded vest.... You don't need gloves thicker than 3mm... You're hands will get cold, but with 7mm gloves you have no mobility so unless you're diving in the arctic or doing real deep long dives, which I doubt yet, then 3mm is fine and what most of us use until the water gets in the low 40's. Thicker booties, to each his own, I have 5mm and that's fine for me.
You need a slate before a compass, and you can make a good slate and use a cheap WalMart compass that will be better than any wrist mounted or console mounted compass.

So. I've read this list and post a few times. You said this is your don't forget anything list and unless I'm missing something,

How do you see without a mask?

Oh my gosh! What a pile of....:nopile:

Just kidding:D

Thanks. I actually laughed out loud. :D

What's wrong with the rockets that you'd like out of jet fins?
Not sure why you'd need 2 knives but a backup is nice.
Ditch one of the wetsuits. Keep whichever is more comfortable, most likely the 5mm and then buy a hooded vest. If it's cold enough for a hood then it's cold enough for a hooded vest.
You need a slate before a compass, and you can make a good slate and use a cheap WalMart compass that will be better than any wrist mounted or console mounted compass.

Seems like everyone on scubaboard loves the jetfins and hates the rocketfins. Some say they can feel a difference. I couldn't imagine there being that big of a difference, but everyone here has a lot more experience than I do. I figured that since I usually find things dirt cheap (patience is a virtue), it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get the jet fins. Besides, have you not noticed that the Aqualungs emblem, when imprinted on rubber and not colored, looks more like a penis than a real one does? XD

2 knives simply because they came in a lot that I purchased. One is zip tied to my BCD, the other uses a rubber leg harness. I figured I'd keep both of them because I use the leg harness knife when I'm snorkeling.

Will the 6.5mm not be much warmer than the 5mm? I haven't worn them both yet so I don't know. They were $25 a piece and both fit well, and since I can't seem to ever find a wetsuit that fit's I bought them both.

I thought about a slate but then I didn't know if I'd ever use it. I really enjoy not being able to talk under water; kind of weird I know. I'll probably need one sooner or later. How do you make one? And will a walmart compass be waterproof down to 100ft?

So. I've read this list and post a few times. You said this is your don't forget anything list and unless I'm missing something,

How do you see without a mask?

Remember the Bubble boy movie? Yeh, that was me!

Actually.... now you know why I keep a list. LOL. In my defense, my mask was on the list on my computer. I organized everything a little bit before posting the list online. I'll bet I did a cut/paste without the paste part XD.

My mask is a Mares X-vision Liquidskin.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the Oceanic Zeta their flagship reg a few years back? Was it just a flop or does Oceanic make ify regs?

why does it need to be water proof? They're oil filled so they won't leak, and if they do, they're $10 to replace. I'll post a video of the ones we use but basically it has a compass superglued to a piece of plexiglass with a bolt snap on one corner and a pencil bungee corded onto it. Allows you to record important things like Depth, Air, and Time, allows you to draw maps of whatever it is on there, write down important things you noticed or saw and want to come back for. And if sh!t really hits the fan allows you to talk to your buddy if need be.
Not a fan of leg mounted knives, but to each his own.

It won't be significantly warmer no, but the 6.5mm's are usually a LOT stiffer which may actually make it colder depending on where the water pockets are and how much water is able to flow in and out of the suit. With a hooded vest you'll gain 5mm on your chest anyway, and that's where it matters.

I don't know why the hate rockets, but although I can tell a difference between the two, it's not significant and I still use rocket fins regularly. If you can find jets great, but I'd ditch the Mares first and the force fins second... Never really liked the force fins personally...

Regarding your comment about the regulator. I've never been a big fan of Oceanic regs. Of their regs the Delta 4 and Omega were my favorites and they were OK - not outstanding just OK. There are many others I like more. Not sure of the full story on the Zeta but it is no longer in their lineup - I'd worry a bit about parts. I do like their computers and the new Pioneer mask. Your fins, Rockets are fine as are the force fins. I thought they (force fins) were just a gimick until I dove them. They aren't half bad.

There is much one can learn with an internet search, by yourself, in less than 30 minutes. :idk:

Jessica Alba chewed on a Zeta in the movie Into the Blue (many Zeta's in that movie). Hard to scooter with a Zeta. :idk:

halemanō;5922654:
There is much one can learn with an internet search, by yourself, in less than 30 minutes. :idk:

Jessica Alba chewed on a Zeta in the movie Into the Blue (many Zeta's in that movie). Hard to scooter with a Zeta. :idk:

interesting by yourself doing internet searches about Jessica Alba are we? Lol
Didn't really like that movie much. Except for there aforementioned eye candy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom