Rustproof scuba tool - advise needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphiprion

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a rustproof scuba tool with pliers big enough to loosen or tighten a regulator hose or turn a tank valve if the knob falls off. Preferably I would want the tool to have a cutting surface in order to deal with cave line and zip ties. If possible, the ability to deal with cutting large fish hooks would be great too, although this aspect is not critical.

I want to dive with this tool in salt water and keep it in my dive gear on dive trips without the need to rinse with fresh water, dry and lubricate.

Currently, I periodically stock up on cheap leatherman knock offs from target or home depot when they go on sale, often purchasing them for less than 10 dollars each. Unfortunately their lifespan is limited due to rust.

I've looked at Dannmar sportfishing titanium pliers, but I was told by a seller that the carbide cutter blades will rust.

Any suggestions?

[video=youtube;YOxZsbyjSb8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxZsbyjSb8&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

See the access door just under the port flight deck windows, well if you poke your head
through there around to the left, I think I saw one in the top drawer, next to the galley.

Buy a SS Leatherman and stop diving!

I think you'd be better off separating your above-water and below-water tool needs.

Maybe get a few teeth replaced with Titanium implants; say a couple molars and incisors. Always on hand, no extra cleaning/rinsing other than normal oral hygiene and think of the COOL factor! :D

Reactions: Jax
I want to dive with this tool in salt water and keep it in my dive gear on dive trips without the need to rinse with fresh water, dry and lubricate.

I've got a tool like the one JAX referred to and love it. BUT I don't take it in the water with me. I don't think you'll find an adjustable wrench that can be subjected to salt water an not need ANY maintenance.

Hmm, not much help so far. I was hoping that somebody might be a sport fisherman or a marine mechanic who would know what works and what doesn't.

I often do diving where I can't just pop back up if there is a problem. Having a tool that did not require replacement after a few dives would be helpful.

Oh well.

I should have used "advice" instead of "advise". Me shall get gooder english. Where is my grammar book at?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom