Wrist compass advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all! I would like to get a wrist compass before my AOW class early next month and am a little overwhelmed by all the choices out there. Does anyone have any advice/recomendations for a good compass? I would like to stay under $50-60 if possible. I dive in the northeast, so a compass that works well in cold water would be a plus.

Thanks,

Kristopher

Most of the compass discussions are in the computer / gauges sub-forum Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers

you'll find far and away the top compass recommendation is the Suunto SK7 though it's a bit out of your price range. I have an Oceanic "Supertilt" compass that works pretty well, the arrow on the compass face it a bit wide but it hasn't got me lost yet (but with my limited dive history that isn't saying a whole lot). If you want super fancy, get a DSS bungee mount for it (they are available for both Suunto and Oceanic/Aeris).

Personally, were I in the market for a compass, I'd pay the extra 10.00ish for the SK7 over the Oceanic.

Last edited:
I have (and really like) the Suunto SK7 compass module in a Deep Sea Supply wrist boot. It's hard to beat, IMO.

The only other compass I considered getting a number of years ago is the Uwatec FS-1.

I believe the SK7 can still provide an accurate reading with a greater maximum tilt than the FS-1.

Have fun in your AOW course.

For what it is worth..I have a SK7 and an older oceanic. I like them both for wrist. Here are my only complaints. The SK7 stands very high so that you can tilt it more. Also means the needle is longer. I've had three replaced as the card fell off the needle. This happens I suppose when the compass gets hot and cold while in your car. The oceanic it very low profiled and never had a problem with it. As far as angle, I never had a problem holding the compass flat. For the money get the one that you can afford and learn how to use it. The boot I have for the SK7 is from DSS also. Pretty good. The boot for the oceanic is just drilled out and added bungie. Both work fine. Something to think about. Some compass boots allow you to adjust the lubber line orientation. I have friends who have moved them and say that it is easier to use than trying to get your arm completely square.

+1 sk7

Another vote for SK7.

Hello all! I would like to get a wrist compass before my AOW class early next month and am a little overwhelmed by all the choices out there. Does anyone have any advice/recomendations for a good compass? I would like to stay under $50-60 if possible. I dive in the northeast, so a compass that works well in cold water would be a plus.

Thanks,

Kristopher

I have a SK 7 in a DSS mount that you're more than welcome to borrow for a dive or two

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom