Tall and new to scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nigil

Reaction score
Hello all, I am recently certified and am looking into my own equipment. The problem i am finding in both wetsuits and BCDs is that my height (6'4") chest (52) and waist (38-40) are hindering my search. I have already assumed I will need a custom wetsuit but what are the suggestions for a BCD?
Thanks

Specifically what brands/models of BCDs have you tried out in the water and what kinds of issues were you experiencing?

There are lots of options out there. People here on ScubaBoard are going to push backplate-and-wing (BP/W) setups, but I'd recommend trying out all different kinds of BCDs: conventional jacket, rear-inflate, and BP/W (which is essentially just a rear-inflate BC with a simple harness and backplate). For difficult-to-fit body types, BP/Ws have a nice range of adjustment. A crotch-strap, which is generally part of most BP/W rigs but can be mounted on lots of different BCDs, helps a great deal in anchoring the rig securely to one's back.

Zeagle makes some modular, highly customizable BCs.
Scubapro and Seaquest offer several conventional and rear-inflate options.
There are many BP/W manufacturers out there. As with all scuba gear companies, some make better products (and provide better customer service) than others.

If you're truly that size, you can fit into numerous wetsuits it just fits a little funny.
I'm the same size actually, quite literally...
So, here's my gear.
Scubapro Tek 5mm XL. It's a little tough to get the last few inches, but most xxl wetsuits will fit. Try waterproof brand wetsuits, they have a bajillion sizes. Pinnacle actually has some good stuff too, but they went thru a reshuffle and what not. Buy for your height and chest size and if the waist is too big you can get creative, but Waterproof is probably your best bet.

BC's. back plate and wing of some sort. There are many options out there and they all work.
Big ones
Dive Rite EXP TransPac Package [EXPTPpkg] - $585.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
Dive Rite transpac in a XXL *big enough for shoulders again, and you can snug the waist down to a 20 inch waist if you had one...

HOG Gear BP/W Full Set - Single - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Solid backplate and wing. This will shed approximately 8lbs from your weight belt with the stainless steel plate.

buy Used Dive Rite Transpac - XXL at northeastscubasupply.com - Used Gear - Used Backplate and Wings - Used Dive Rite Transpac - XXL - Northeast Scuba Supply
I'd buy this one just from a comfort standpoint, but that's just me. It has the weight integrated pockets and a good wing which is nice. Not what you're used to, but it will be by far the most comfortable option for you

I have the same build you do with 52L coat size and 38" waist. I have short legs though at 32" inseam. The BEST fitting BC I have found is the XLT Transpac from Dive Rite. I have tried many many jacket bc's and back inflate things, but there is no comparison in quality and fit. The steel plates are nice, but I always felt that they were too short and cut into my back. The long plates are big bucks, but may work for you if you need a lot of weight. I'd steer clear of the jackets though because you'll only be frustrated. $300 for that transpac from Northeast is the best deal you're gonna find and John is a great guy to deal with. FWIW I work with a dive shop where I live and I buy things from John...

I had the same problem. I'm fairly tall and pretty lanky. Wetsuit wise I found that a BARE suit fit me really well. They have a lot of in-between sizes, I just followed the chart and ordered one and it fit perfect.

I would also recommend taking a look at Zeagle BCD's. I currently dive the stiletto which is the travel version of the Ranger. Both are great but the ranger may be a bit intense for casual beginner diving. I am a huge fan of the BP/W idea but again not really for a new diver. I was able to configure my Zeagle to be a perfect fit.

why not for a new diver? We train all of ours in a bp/w... $500 for a stiletto $700 for the ranger. $600 for a new transpac package and $400 for a SS plate. Economically it makes sense to buy some sort of the bpw, especially since the fit will be a lot better. I tried the zeagles and there's a difference in tall and lanky, and tall and barrel chested. Tall and lanky you can wear mediums or m/l etc and because they're all the same length it's fine. the problem we have is finding bc's with long enough shoulder straps that have short enough waist straps. The XXL Zeagle which is what he'd need for his chest has a 47-55 inch waist which is WAY too big. He'd need the large to fit his waist which says up to 6'1" 210lbs. I'm 6'4" 52 inch chest 38 inch waist, and I weigh 275. Large doesn't cut it...

No offense to you, but it's a real rough bout to be in

Deep Sea Supply has top notch products. You'll be in about $500 for a basic rig from Tobin. Well worth the money though. Give him a call

I am roughly the same size except 6'7" height and a 2 more inches in the waist. I did find a Henderson Hyperstretch that fit. My issue with wetsuits is always crotch to neck and if the wetsuit is a bit short there then comfort is a problem if you catch my drift. The hyperstretch line has changed into another name which might be H2 but a check at a dive shop would confirm. Many of the other manufacturers have made their wetsuits have more stretch and in taller sizes, so I am fairly sure that you can find something that is not custom.
I found a rear inflate BCD that is long and large enough - I still like pockets. I wanted to go from jacket to at least rear-inflate. I did try on other traditional BCDs that fit as well. BP/W's are described above. I would find several dive shops that carry wetsuits and various kinds of BCDs and try them all on. My wetsuit in the size I wanted had to be ordered but the shop said if it didn't fit, it's no problem (for me).

I would absolutly look into a Backplate/Wing they are customized to you. and should you gain or loose weight or change fidure you can simply re adjust the webbing. As other's have mentioned a lot of quality Manufactures make them (Halcyon -- DSS -- Hollis -- HOG -- Diverite) Halcyon being Most expensive and HoG being the least and other 2 in the middle. As far as quality goes the Plate is a Stainless Steel plat. There have been different people who prefer different brands wings. I dive the Halcyon System but all the systems are nice and equal in quality from what I have seen.

Figure out what you want to do. This is not like years ago where it was hard to find gear that fits you. I'm 6'7 and finding gear is actually fairly easy now. Take the time, find gear that is comfortable for you and go from there. Some shops that have a pool at there facility have a try before you buy deal. If thats the case, it's a great deal, it is one of the features that an LDS has over online shop. I had a DR Transpac Harness in XXLT that was awesome, trimmed me out well.

My main issue with finding SCUBA gear are boots, not every style/maker does a size 15, but more and more are.

You will find that a Zeagle Stiletto in size Large with size XL shoulders will fit you perfectly.
The chest strap buckles will set on your pecks in the proper place. The weights system works as ballast to keep the BC down on your back and it does a great job of moving with you. You will never question if you made the right choice.
This is the best fitting, best functioning BC I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

Back
Top Bottom