New Pony Bottle!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, after much reading and research into the topic I have set up my own pony bottle for slinging! :dork2: Found the 19cf tank cheap and used an old 1st and second stage I had laying around. (Actually my favorite reg ever!) and found this sling kit at the LDS. Here she is:
PonyBottle1.jpg

This Delta 1 reg is old but so comfortable. I picked up an Aqualung Mikron travel reg set that is so much smaller and lighter than this setup but this one remains my most comfortable reg thus far. So easy breathing and dry. I had debated on using the Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo on this pony but the majority of pony setups I have seen don't use an octo just a standard first stage.
PonyBottle2.jpg

Nice, my pony set-up is basically identical and it works great. Of course I have a much older Dacor Pacer 1st and a new Oceanic Mag-Swivel octo on it.

Setup looks good.

How is the reg hose held against the bottle? Velcro strap? Is the reg easily removed?

It looks nice, but I'd be concerned about those clips around any kind of line--it looks like it could easily slip into one.

Nice, my pony set-up is basically identical and it works great. Of course I have a much older Dacor Pacer 1st and a new Oceanic Mag-Swivel octo on it.

Nice! I just saw those Mag Swiel octo's. Cool idea. I might end up using my Octo on this but we shall see.

Very cool, thanks for posting the photos. I want to build the same type of rig.

Go for it. Was easy.

Setup looks good.

How is the reg hose held against the bottle? Velcro strap? Is the reg easily removed?

It is an elastic strap with a small loop on it. The reg pulls right out easily from the top. It came with the kit. I am sure you could use a few bungees from a tank banger or something as easily though.

It looks nice, but I'd be concerned about those clips around any kind of line--it looks like it could easily slip into one.

Had not thought about that! Might have to test that idea. These were recommended because of their ease of use with gloves on. But you make a good point. That would be no good.

Never liked the button gauges and would also chance out the suicide (butterfly) clips for ss boltsnaps. It's also easier and cheaper to plan and dive with a buddy.

Never liked the button gauges and would also chance out the suicide (butterfly) clips for ss boltsnaps. It's also easier and cheaper to plan and dive with a buddy.

The butterfly clips are a potential issue with hangups. It's too bad that vendors still sell them as part of kits without a discussion of the issue.

As for buddies being easier and cheaper, it's just not always true and off topic... he's already gone the pony route let's support him and point out legitimate issues.

To the OP,
you can make your own rigging fairly simply...DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging
If your looking for a lecture/discussion on the value of pony bottles just search the board for what seems like the monthly tit for tat.

The butterfly clips are a potential issue with hangups. It's too bad that vendors still sell them as part of kits without a discussion of the issue.

As for buddies being easier and cheaper, it's just not always true and off topic... he's already gone the pony route let's support him and point out legitimate issues.

To the OP,
you can make your own rigging fairly simply...DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging
If your looking for a lecture/discussion on the value of pony bottles just search the board for what seems like the monthly tit for tat.

Thanks. I had not realized that these butterfly clips were a hazard. Just goes to show that you live you learn. :shakehead: I can easily swap them for another clip and will do that. I have read many tit and tat for months regarding the pony bottle. My gut tells me to have one so I will. That simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom