Is this a decent package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
PAssed myOW certification last weekend. Will be moving to the Advanced OW and possibly Rescue after that, however I can't sse going much further than that. About 99% of my diving will be done in San Diego waters. Already have a mask (Riffe), snorkel(Riffe), fins (Cressi Frog Plus), hood, gloves and booties. Looking at a Body Glove 7mm EX3 for an exposure suit. I found this package on EBay and was wondering what the general consensus is on the quality and durability of Aeris products? It's definitely the right price, but I wouldn't want to get anything that won't last me for a while. Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: Here's the link, sorry.

Last edited:
I don't think your link is working but I'm guessing your going for the basic package.The regulator is an unbalance piston not seal, your better off with a seal balanced piston or a Diaphragm regulator. The computer is a discontinued model from 7 or 8 years ago. The BC is something new for them so I’m no sure about the BC.

1: Check your LDS)
Check what's selling in your Local Dive Shop, in the region you are, I'm pretty sure you can find one that sells for a pretty decent price and price-matches with the internet.

2: Service & Repair)
I know, again, Check if your Local dealer that can repair "X" brand is not overcharging you for annual check ups or overhaul. It can make a big $ difference, between 120$/year to 40-60$/year or x/2year.

3: Warranty)
If it's old stock it may have been bought of some LDS' that went bankrupt, the Warranty would be void because it wasn't an authorized dealer that sold it etc. etc.

4: Don't buy the best)
In most scuba regulators of any brand/make, they are all good, some are better. Check the $ and compare if you really need the best. A whole ScubaPro Regulator setup with the Best is 800-1000$, while a lower end/good is 600$ max, is it really worth the extra?

5: Travel)
Some regulators have more dealer in the world. Aqualung and ScubaPro are those. If you want to dive local and rent when you travel. Just get the cheapest. If you want to bring your own stuff. Compare the $, sometimes buying an extra regulator set is cheaper than buying the big-end brands.

6: Trying it on)
BCD's and Wetsuits need to be tried. Some Diveshop have them for rental, try them and then buy what you like, not what's on special, you'll just buy something, won't like it and you'll be out of money to buy what you want.

7: Used)
A lot of people buy some gear at a first glance and then resell it because they don't like it. A BCD can go up to 700$ and used it can go down to 200-300$. A BCD is a hard thing to break, and they lose their value FAST. Regulators, I bought a used regulator set that cost new 800$ at 400$, it will take 10 years before the added value of the warranty will make it not worth it.

8: Dive Computer)
A dive computer as generally a 1year warranty. If it's an older computer and it's out of production or End-Of-Life, I can guess the warranty will go out the window. I'd say get a new computer, and one of the cheap ones. Subgear XP10 is 250$ new (it's a rebranded Uwatec Aladin w/ nitrox) or the Suunto Zoop. You'll have plenty of growing space without having to break the bank. ( i can only recommend what I dove with)

9: Check other on-line stores)
There's lots of choices. LeisurePro, DiveRightInScuba, DiveGearExpress, ScubaToys, DiveSports, ExtremeExposures, PirhanaMFG, ScubaGeek, UDM aquatics etc etc...

10: Packages)
Package deals are tricky. Some LDS will allow you to mix-match and change stuff, while other will be inflexible or will penalized the price if you want to remove/change some stuff. Check with your LDS for that too.

11: Experience)
An LDS is a place to grow, find a good LDS that will be helpfull and not try to sell you anything and everything (maybe a more TECH oriented diveshop would be better)

When I went to a TEC shop to buy a SP MK25 + S600 (the most expensive package at the time)
The owner told me "Why?"
The MK25 is not good for our diving conditions you would be better with a MK17 (less expensive set).
Also, the G250v has more metal in it so it's better than the S600 (less expensive set)
The owner was not trying to sell me the Best gear to make more $, he was trying to see what would suit my needs.

The LDS will be also a place that organizes local diving trips so that you can meet new people if you don't have any dive buddies.

11: LDS)
Again find, a Local Dive Shop, I'm the first to throw stones at the bad ones, I have experienced both the Bad and the Good and I can say that if you find a good dive shop, you'll enjoy Scuba even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom