Finally found a good scuba gear travel bag!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KUFan452

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After paying tons of money for overweight bags and not wanting to pay more for our upcoming 2 week dive trip, my BF and I finally found what we think is the optimal gear bag for traveling with a full set of full size scuba gear. We considered the "Dive Caddy" but as a female who actually wants dry clothes on a two week trip, this wasn't going to cut it. Our solution was Eagle Creek luggage, which is not scuba specific but much better than anything else we could find.

Eagle Creek has a couple of good bag options, but we selected the "Switchback Max 25", which weighs 9 lbs 13 oz/4.45kg empty and costs about $210 USD (w/ free shipping) online. The bag is covered by a "no matter what" guarantee that even includes airline damage. The bag has a base unit and "day pack" backpack that zips onto the base unit or can taken off as a carry-on for weight considerations. The day pack contains a padded slot for a laptop. The bag has sturdy wheels, but also has serious straps so that it can be carried as a backpack. It has a total capacity of 83L, 28L of which are in the day pack. The total dimensions for the bag 36x64x25 = 125 cm, which is under most checked bag limits.

Here is what we packed in the bag:

L Apollo Bio-fins (which are heavy)
L Zeagle Stilleto BC
Size 11 booties
Atomic M1 reg w/ Aqualung Legend octo and Gensis React 2 gauge console (also heavy!)
Mask
Snorkel
XL 3/2 mm wetsuit

There are a few tricks to getting everything to fit:
1. We put one bootie inside a fin and the mask inside the other fin.
2. We used Eagle Creek's compression sack to pack the wetsuit (like the bags you suck the air out of but no vacuum required).
3. We wrapped the BC around the reg to give it extra padding.

All of the above gear fit in the base unit and with the day pack not attached, the bag weighed 31 pounds!! There was a bit of space to spare in the base bag for small toiletries. We think one more large compression bag will fit in the base unit and two medium bags will fit in the day pack to keep our clothes nice and dry.

Although we're not completely packed yet, with 19 lbs to spare, we think we can add our clothes & toiletries for 2 weeks and still be under the 45/50 lbs weight limit and size restrictions for most airlines. No more overweight fees!!

I just use a regular semisoft suitcase for scuba gear and the other junk I take when I travel. There is nothing unique about scuba gear that requires special bags.

Adam

I have been using these bags for 15 years. They have handled everything from airplanes to mules (including being pissed on). The only down side is ya gotta carry them (or tip someone to schlep them for ya).

From what I found the Hard Cases are best as they give the most protection and weight comes in less and you can fit everything. There are different brands with different prices some even little lighter overall they take a beating but the gear is safe since it's hard shell case.

Luggage - Hardside Luggage - Luggage Online

Travel Concepts Luggage - Luggage and Accessories Salisbury Spinner/Hardside 3-Piece Set T235 - Luggage Online

29in Upright 29in x 22in x 12.8in, 10 lbs
25in Upright 25.5in x 19in x 11.5in, 7 lbs
21in Upright 21in x 14in x 10in, 4.6 lbs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom