Buying thicker dive boots. How much weight do I need to add?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone! Here is my dilemma. My previous dive boots were 3 mm. I decided to replace these for 2 reasons. One, I wanted a sturdier boot for shore dives. Two, my feet are always cold. I found a steal of a deal on some Pinnacle 7 mm merino wool lined boots. Any suggestions as to how much weight if any I need to add? Thanks in advance :)

just kind of depends on how your weight was with your old boots & how the new boots are made. (soles & misc.) If you were near perfect on your weight with your old boots, you might want to add a pound or two. If a little heavy before, you might not have to add any weight. Acouple of pounds extra is not a big deal in the overall picture, so if you're unsure, add a couple. You can always take it out on the next dive. I would rather be one or two pounds heavy, than one or two pound lite.:)

Don't think you will need any more weight, if do struggle just exhale deep on descent.

no difference

Thanks everybody for the info. It is amazing how much more weight I needed when transitioning from a 3 mm to a 5 mm wetsuit. Glad to know it will be minimal if any increase.

Hit the pool with a bunch of 1-pounders on the side . . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom