Mares ? Yes or No?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YJSONLY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok here is the deal I am in the process of buying new equipment.... I am able to get mares at a "special rate" I do not know what it is but I have been told cheaper that what the big stores pay for it.... I know they are not a fly by night but they are not the "Scubapro" either.... but as far as intro level equipment at a good rate? Yea or Na? This will be NEW scuba not used... And my choice....

As far as the Mares line what back inflate bc?
Regs?

Mares has been around for a while and from what I have heard make decent equipment. I know there computers are nice the Icon HD Is a very nice looking computer and would be even better if they ever come through with there promise to bring the AI out. As for BC I would look into a Backplate/Wing (just my opinon) but its what I prefer. Lots of Manufactures make these (Halcyon, DSS, Hollis, DIverite, HOG) Halcyon being most expensive but worth it to me. The HOG system being least expensive only in price not quality the Halcyon has some added features. The others fall in middle price range but again all are great BC's.

Ok here is the deal I am in the process of buying new equipment.... I am able to get mares at a "special rate" I do not know what it is but I have been told cheaper that what the big stores pay for it.... .......//........

Let me guess, you're on vacation in midtown Manhattan and you met this really nice guy on the street...

I have a set of Mares. I bought them used and I like mine and have no issues with them.

Ok here is the deal I am in the process of buying new equipment.... ...........//.......

Nevermind. I'll try the direct approach.

Know what you want and why you want it before you set up the deal. This will take a bit of work on your part. The economy is down, the deals will wait for you.

This was around last Christmas, so the deals may be less striking now, but when my Brother-In-Law was getting a new equipment setup, we used ScubaToys.com which had a package deal at a great price, and they even let us substitute a pricier Sherwood Avid for the Zeagle BCD. I could barely believe what we got for about $1,200.

Zeagle is a great brand name in BCD's, but I didn't want a rip cord weight release system. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know their current deals. My point is, hit some of the most reputable online vendors & price their package deals. Don't just compare your Mares deal to what other brands cost purchased one item at a time. And contact the vendors; they may be open to some substitutions, if you like a package but want a different BCD or regulator.

Richard.

P.S.: Last I checked, ScubaToys.com had a discount for ScubaBoard members. Be sure and get it if you use them!!!!!

No one package suits everyone. I have a mix of items that I personally picked to suit me and my diving area. Mares regs and mask, Zeagle BC, Tusa fins, Aeris XR-2 computer, different makes and thicknesses wetsuits, and so on. Evaluate your needs and make your best decision based on that. The money you save in a package deal may or may not offset the comfort level for your diving needs. :coffee:

Mares is a reputable company. I own a set of Mares regulators (proton42 metal) and am very happy with them.

I have a mares reg that has always treated me well. I recently switched to an Edge Epic set-up. Not that anything was wrong with my mares gear, I simply wanted new toys.

My Mares gear was purchased used, and is at least a dozen years old and was still going strong with proper care. It is now a reliable back-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom