Ear equalizing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday I was diving, picnicking with the local dive club, Albany Aquanauts, and a young man was describing a mask he had seen recently, that addressed ear equalizing issues.

No one else had ever seen or heard of this mask so I thought that I would do some research, because I continually run into people who have had serious issues with ear clearing.

I found this mask this morning, and was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge to share

View attachment 99500

IST Pro Ear Scuba Dive Mask

If this mask works as described, there are surely some who would benefit from trying it.

Looking at the mask a little closer I do detect a couple of potential failure points.
The equalization tubes that run from the mask to the ear piece are presenting 4-6 locations where they could fail with a bad outcome.

The ear pieces look like the user would have to shave around the ears to get a seal if a seal is required in order for it to work properly.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Notwithstanding any of the practical concerns voiced by DMDavid, the design would seem to allow the user to modulate pressurization of the space on the exterior of the eardrum via air changing air pressure inside the mask.

Bear in mind that the whole point of middle ear equalization is that pressures be balanced on either side of the eardrum.
Although the device doesn't allow modulation of pressure on the interior side of the eardrum (i.e., middle ear space), I suppose it's possible that by increasing mask squeeze (transmitted to the exterior side of the eardrum) one could create some suction to balance out the squeeze occurring in the middle ear space. Honestly, though, I would hardly think that this is a preferred method of equalization while scuba diving.

One advantage of the mask is that, if it's working properly, it should keep one's external auditory canal free of water. That would definitely decrease the possibility of experiencing swimmer's ear (a.k.a. otitis externa, outer ear infection).

At this point I have no opinion on the mask myself. It was discribed to me over the weekend by another diver who had just seen one in use a month or so ago and I did some research yesterday, to see if I could figure out exactly what he had seen.

He saw it in use, by a fellow who then told him it was the only solution to that diver's ear clearing issues, and that using it had allowed this fellow to continue diving. My acquaintance had no more information to offer, wishing he had asked the fellow using it more questions.

After locating the product he described I posted the thread, hoping to learn more from the large number of divers available here on SB. All theories are just that, theories, until we hear from experience.
Ear issues are not a problem that I have had much experience with normally, but not everyone is as lucky. Even my own son has some difficulty on "rapid" descents, and I have had friends who simply had to quit diving because of serious, unresolvable clearing problems.

The way I looked at it was this: if this product does provide a fairly useful solution, it should be explored, where the discussion is available for anyone doing a search, while if it is humbug, the internet is a good place to discuss that also. For the very same reason, if you get my drift. :wink:

Keep in mind that positive anecdotal experiences might be attributed to the "placebo effect."
It would be interesting to learn what kinds of problem the diver solved with the special mask.

FWIW, some people might be rather sensitive to having water in the outer ear canal. I could see how this mask would help with that. Exposure of that area of the ear to cold water over time can cause bony growths in the ear canal (a.k.a surfer's ear or exostosis). The bony growths can be removed via a surgical procedure.

For divers who have trouble with "rapid" descents, I would think that, rather than buying this special mask, they would be better served experimenting with the various ear equalization techniques to ensure that they are using the best method for their own anatomy. Alternatively, such divers could just avoid situations where rapid descents are necessary.

I think the primary benefit of these masks is that they keep the ear dry. That may be useful for divers who are prone to, or recovering from, ear infections.

Given that ear equalisation is a process that occurs in the middle ear and Eustachian tubes...I can't see that it matters whether the outer ear canal is wet or dry.

I can't see how these can particularly aid equalisation. :idk: Maybe...if I scratch around for 'some' reason... keeping cold water out of the ear may help...maybe... maybe... :shakehead:

Of course... that won't stop the manufacturers from advertising them as such.... their sales and marketing departments count on the fact that a certain percentage of divers won't check the claims before believing them....

I have seen a number of people claim that Doc Pro Plugs for divers were a gimmick and that any positive effect they had on a diver was placebo. I have seen several people told the same thing with respect to wearing a hood and how that helps them the equalize. I am not in a position to try to explain the science, but because of these examples, I am not about to write this mask off as a gimmick.

I think the primary benefit of these masks is that they keep the ear dry. That may be useful for divers who are prone to, or recovering from, ear infections.

Given that ear equalisation is a process that occurs in the middle ear and Eustachian tubes...I can't see that it matters whether the outer ear canal is wet or dry.

I can't see how these can particularly aid equalisation. :idk: Maybe...if I scratch around for 'some' reason... keeping cold water out of the ear may help...maybe... maybe... :shakehead:

Of course... that won't stop the manufacturers from advertising them as such.... their sales and marketing departments count on the fact that a certain percentage of divers won't check the claims before believing them....

Even just keeping the ears dry might be beneficial, as water transfers pressure to the inner ear more efficiently than air. Having open air passages to the mask that you ballance pressure in continually, is an interestring concept.

Knowing several people who have had problems of this nature, I figured more research was in order to see if this was a usable solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom