Suggestions or did I miss anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g550driver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought the following equip.. Any other recommendations? I'm planning on recreational diving 1-3 times a year..

Thx,

Zeagle Stiletto BCD
Atomic Z2X Reg and Sea Cure II custom mouthpiece
Atomic SS1 Reg/Inflator
Oceanic v16 fins
Henderson 3/2 Neosport wetsuit
Sea Dive Ultravision SL HD mask
Oceanic Geo 2.0 watch/computer
Tusa Hyperdry Max snorkel
Tusa Platina pressure gauge
Deep See Polynesian 3mm dive boot
4' SMB
Mesh carry bag
Suunto M-9 wrist compass (may not be extremely effective but it was inexpensive)

Don't have a knife yet...

There's an online course that "teaches" you how to use a newly purchased dive computer. DiveComputerTraining.com. I'm the kind of guy who's anal about knowing all that I can about my equipment before I jump in the water with it, so I'd recommend at least checking this site out. (You may/may not choose to continue after the first free lessons.)

Keep in mind though, that this course *does not* take the place of reading your manual. (I read my XP-10 manual twice before getting in the water!!)

Geo 2.0 tutorial:
Dive Computer Training

Personally, I think its alot of money to spend on equipment for only diving 1-3 times a year... I grew up in Corpus Christi and Dallas and find it a little surprising the amount of dives your expecting to do. I hope each dive consist of a week or more of diving...!

Grab a butter knife and call it done for now until you find out just how much you will be diving... I am putting in 100 dives a year and that leaves out any quarry and most lake dives. I never did any diving down on Padra but I would think you would find many opportunities within a couple hours from Houston...

Best of luck to you, lee

There's an online course that "teaches" you how to use a newly purchased dive computer. DiveComputerTraining.com. I'm the kind of guy who's anal about knowing all that I can about my equipment before I jump in the water with it, so I'd recommend at least checking this site out. (You may/may not choose to continue after the first free lessons.)

Keep in mind though, that this course *does not* take the place of reading your manual. (I read my XP-10 manual twice before getting in the water!!)

Geo 2.0 tutorial:
Dive Computer Training

Yes, thanks.. I did the online training for my Geo 2.0... It was free class with the purchase ! Definitely need to go through the program several times!

I am a new diver and have not established a "group" of friends who like to dive.. The other issue (that supports my hobby) is that I am a professional pilot so I can only dive when I am on vacation...The bug has bit me so perhaps I will find more excuses to take vacation! :+)

I did spend a relative good amount of money on equipment... I bought equipment that would last me a long time for the kind of recreational diving I plan on doing.. Hopefully it will pay off..

Thx for the comments and look forward to making some new dive buddies in Houston!

knife: I have both the S/S and Ti Wenoka compact squeeze, it has several mounting options, the sheath I find is very secure and its small.

I can only dive when I am on vacation...

Ok... I see your point!!! That dive and fly rule really puts the screws to us but your a bit over the top! I can see where diving gets in the way of your job or better yet, your job gets in the way of diving... :wink:

Depending on your diving, a whistle and perhaps a mirror, and I did not see a light... I have a very good secondary light that is with me on all dives and could not say enough good things about it, it was recommended to me and I can highly recommend it myself; Heser Tauchtechnik a bit on the high side for a backup but one heck of a backup at that...

I can also recommend the Wenoka Titanium dive knife with the Tanto tip as well... I sure like mine, nice knife!

lee

Yes, a whistle is a great addition as is a dive slate/wet notes.

And it might sound like over kill but I reckon a personal GPS is a god idea too.

If you are doing warm water rec diving then I think, although not cheap, the Mb-Sub X1-VB is a great light in AA form, 3-25 degree beam variable, I love mine its great multi purpose light, although as previously stated not cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom