Help me pick the proper Miflex hose length for regs & BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I want to upgrade my air hoses for my BC, primary regulator and also my octo but unsure of what exact lengths I need.

Should I just measure the rubber hoses that came with my Mares primary & octo and just order that exact size? (I've read there isn't the "pull" with miflex like there is with rubber, but I don't want to order miflex and have them be too short, but also don't want them long and excessive)

I also need hoses for our BC's as we don't have any yet, so I'm totally in the dark as to what sizes to order.

We have the following BC's, both have AL's i3 technology:

Pro QD with i3

Pearl i3

Also has anyone noticed the fittings and crimpings to be low quality? Someone on LP reviews of them mentioned this and was a concern.

Thanks.

The octo bungeed under your chin should be around a 22"-24" length hose (I like a 24" for single tank diving). The primary in your mouth should be 5' or 7' (Mine is a 7'). I would recommend a rubber hose for the long hose though so it doesn't float up or flap in the current. Also stick with rubber for the 24" HP hose as the Miflex are known for failing.

You didn't mention how you wanted your kit set up :D

BC hoses you just need to measure. Use another hose and hold it in place. You can mark it with tape and measure with a ruler of some sort.

If donating the octo the standard in the industry is 40" and yellow in color. The primary should be 28" or shorter and I don't see a reason to even be that long, but I would probably go with a 26". FWIW I much prefer a long hose setup. It is nice knowing my backup is ALWAYS under my chin.

Ok youve got me really confused.

In your first paragraph you say Octos should be 24", but then in the next paragraph you say it should be 40"?

Then you say first primaries should be 7' then say it should be 26"?

:idk:

I should mention that our BCs have an octo pocket that we will use (there's a pic in those BC links)

He's talking 2 different set ups. 40 and 26 should be fine. In fact, i am certain that if you just take your stuff into your LDS and tell them you want myflex on everything they will take care of it.

Yes upper one is a long hose setup, for donating the primary. The lower one is for donating the octo, which is the type of setup you currently use. If you use a HP hose I would not recommend switching it out. They are experiencing a ton of failures with them.

Hogarthian diving link.

Just to further confuse the issue, I use 22" bungeed back up and use a 40" primary (actually a 44") with a 90 degree adaptor. In an OOA emergency I donate my primary and breathe off the bungeed 22". For my type of diving, Rec OW single tank I have found this to work very well. But as others have said "standard" would be 28" ish primary and 40" ish Octo. If you were to go down the "Miflex" route instead of using a Miflex HP you could substitute a Phantom HP hose. I use Miflex on all but HP where I switched out the Miflex due to high failure rate to a Phantom HP, similar in design but cheaper. If I have managed to confuse you please feel free to ask any questions. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom