Spearguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sara Smiles

Reaction score
I AM LOOKING FOR ADVISE ON BUYING A SPEARGUN. DOES ANDYBODY KNOW ABOUT RIFFE OR A.B. BILLER WOOD GUNS. I NEED ONE THAT I CAN LOAD CAUSE IM A GIRL. WHAT ABOUT RANGE, DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH HOW MANY BANDS AND HOW LONG THE GUN LENGTH IS? ARE LONGER GUNS ARE MORE ACCURATE. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN WITH ANY PROS AND CONS.
AM PLANNING A NICE LUNCH..... SMILES.

Sara,

First of All:

Welcome to the board...

I'm new to spearguns myself and have found that there aren't a lot of people around here who want to talk about them. You can use the search function on the site to see some of the other threads on this topic that I've started (or tried to start) recently.

I started an Email conversation with Andre Biller and he invited me to call him to talk about guns. I did so and he was very informative and did not push a sale at all (he doesnt sell direct). I then found one of guns (48") on sale at an LDS, so I bougth it for $150.00. It was the .48" sepcial wooden with 2 bands and a 6mm shaft.

I have stirred up some good conversations with avid UW hunters who suggested the 48" range for beginning.

I have oof the reason made good sense to me, some of them sounded like Ol'timers rejecting new technology. Either way, I took the advice, at least for the time being.

I ordered a 115 centimeter gun by Sporasub from Diveinn. It listed on most sites for over $200 and they had it for about $75, so I jumped on it. It is a single band, and it is a B**** to load.

As for your questions about length, power and accuracy... I'll defer to someone iwth more experience.

Good Luck.

Welcome Sara,my wife(5ft2")uses a 48 inch gun.There are two ways to cock a gun ,hip and belly .Try each at your LDS with several guns as this can greatly affect the size and relative strength that you'll be able to use.I am fond of Billers for several reasons,chiefly the closed muzzle allows freeshaft or line use much easier.Also get the U/W hunters handbook for some tips.Good Luck

[Hello DUCA,
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I'M LOOKING AT A 32" BILLER RETAIL
$139. OR $70 ON EBAY. HOW DID YOU LIKE YOUR BILLER GUN? YOU TALKED TO THE MAN HIMSELF, BILLER? I'LL LOOK FOR MORE THREADS BY YOU.

I TRIED LOADING A 48" 2XS RIFFE AND FORGET IT, TWO BANDS. NEED MORE WHEATIES. RETAIL $333., BEST PRICE FROM DEALER $254, A BIT PRICEY. TOP OF THE LINE RIFFE ISLANDER IS $600. WOW. THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE.

I APPRECIATE THE INFO ON PRICING. THANKS SO MUCH YOUR A GREAT BUDDYHELP. SMILES

THANKS STONE,
WILL LOOK AT JBL SITE. HEARD THAT SOME FISH THEY BOUNCE OFF OF. GUESS I NEED TO CONSIDER THE PREY?
REGARDS, SMILES

No problem.. Good luck.

I'll be down your way next Spring. I usally spend a week or two in April at a buddies house in Oceanside. I run a annual charity event in Ft. Lauderdale, this year its scheduled for April 19th-21st. Maybe we can do some hunting together around that time.

TONY,
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE. I AM 6 FT. BUT AM A WEAKLING WHEN
IT COMES TO ARMS. WHAT KIND OF BILLER DO YOU HAVE?

ALSO, THANKS FOR THE BOOK RECOMMENDATION. I WAS JUST
THINKING OF LOOKING IN AMAZON.COM.

WISHING YOU HAPPY HUNTING. SMILES

Hi Sara,
I used to shoot a woodie, then my LDS talked me into buying a Sea Hornet. What a sweet shooting gun my Sea Hornet is. It's light and whisper quiet when it's shot. My gun is a 54 inch composite. You would probably fit a 48 inch very well. I find that one band is all that's necessary. The Sea Hornet's are easy to cock because most of them have at least a eight inch extension built into the but. That gives you more leverage to pull the band down. Last spring I took a 38 inch black grouper with it and that was plenty of fish for me. Click here http://www.seahornet.com to view their web page. Click on products, then spearguns. I bought the recruit, they make several other models that aren't pictured on the web page. Most good dive shops that have a spearfishing clientel will carry the Sea Hornet. Happy Hunting and Dive Safely.:tree:Bob.

SARA,I use a 54 stainless Biller for pelagics and big bottom fish.A 48 JBL for smaller reef fish.All spearguns have the same relative power based on shaft length,draw length,shaft diameter, and band diameter.The differences are in the composition,mechanism and price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom