wetsuits and pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8buck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anyone know where i can get a wet suit with a pocket down on the thigh???

I don't know of any wetsuits that come with a posket on them already.

You can buy a dive rite thigh pocket, remove the velcro thigh wrap and the harness attachment and sew it directly to your wetsuit. I sewed mine on my wetsuit or you can go to a seamstress to do it if you don't sew. Halcyon also makes a pocket. Avoid pockets with zippers.

a set of cordura "chaps" that cover the legs and have pockets for tools and such. Honestly unless you plan to walk on the bottom, pockets usually dump their contents on the first 2 kicks. Thats why you don't see them anymore. Even the thigh knife pockets went away.

I was going to buy a pocket with a velcro attachment to put my keys, $, etc. in when I go under, but I don't see the point if I can't buy one with a zipper. Why is it wrong to have a zipper Wendy? (Please be patient with the newbie diver :wink:)

I must be lucky. The pockets I installed on my wet suit don't dump anything. Of course , I also swim horizontal, not walking on the bottom. Seriously. Halcyon, Dive Rite , OMS, and others make pockets for wet suits. I have Halcyon or Fifth Dimension bellows pockets on all mine. Get velcro closures, bungied loops inside, not D rings. Have them sewn on instead of glued on. Great for carrying what you need for the dive. Zippers are a failure point. Would hate to have to swim with a pocket I could not open or close.

For things like car keys, stash them in a pocket in your swimsuit. Have just a door key cut, & hide the rest in your car.
One of those little magnetic key holders can be easily & securely tucked up under the bumper of your car, too.
There is nothing really "wrong" with zippers, folks use them on the front of their wetsuit jackets all the time.
If on a pocket, they need to have the big coarse teeth so getting sand/mud in them doesn't foul them up.
Pockets on wetsuits should really be made out of neoprene so they can stretch along with the suit.
Wetsuits have a way of "shrinking", especially over winter.:wink:

carebear once bubbled...
I was going to buy a pocket with a velcro attachment to put my keys, $, etc. in when I go under, but I don't see the point if I can't buy one with a zipper. Why is it wrong to have a zipper Wendy? (Please be patient with the newbie diver :wink:)

Like some others said, zippers are a failure point and the last thing you want on a dive is get something from your pocket and go to zip it back up to find that the zipper is broke, has unattached, several things like that. It recently happened to a friend of mine. That is why velcro is better, less failure rate. Also like was mentioned, I added a grommet to either side of my pocket and ran a bungee loop thru each. Now I can clip things off to the inside of my pocket and not have to worry about loosing anything. Also you will want to sew the pocket onto the left outside of the hip.

this pic shows the contents of the pocket clipped off.

Back
Top Bottom