Bcd/computer/Regulator packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankbullitt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, first post here. I got my open water and advanced cert a while back. After renting gear for around 10 dives Im ready to purchase my own. I have used the basic rental oceanic stuff, and my brother's mares setup. I did a ton of searching before posting and it looks like the general consensus is to not buy a package deal, however, sport chalet is the only place with dive equipment around me and the prices there arent the best, and no package deal opportunities. My budget is about 1200, and I just think it would be easier and more cost effective if there was a package with decent gear (ie ordering from more than one place, shipping costs etc.) It seems there are a ton of varying opinions on brands, and then varying opinions on certain pieces of equipment from certain brands.

With all that said can I get some opinions on these packages? I mostly do shore dives in SoCal, traveling is out for quite some time, the farthest most likely being catalina (same conditions pretty much). I dont need anything super fancy just equipment that will work well and has a good warranty/customer service if something does fail.

The first one I was looking at was this TUSA package
Tusa Package #3
Comes with a Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 air/nitrox, air integrated computer with compass and quick disconnect
Tusa Duo-Air Alternate Combo inflator ir-3
Tusa Platina Evolution BCD
Tusa RS-530 regulator
and of course the leisurepro reg bag and hat
$1,049

then this mares package
Mares Package #3
comes with Mares Dragon BC with MRS plus weight pockets
mares mission puck 3 console
mares abyss 22 regulator
and mares MV octopus
again the bag and hat
$999

a sherwood package
Sherwood Holiday Package
comes with Sherwood 07 Avid CQR2 BCD
sherwood magnum regulator
sherwood minimus octo
and sherwood wisdom 2 CG7125 2008 with compass and quick disconnect
$1064

and lastly this zeagle package
Everything is Special Zeagle and Hollis Package discounts on sale Zeagle
Zeagle Brigade bcd
Hollis DCI 221 regulator
Mares MV octo
and Aeris Atmos AI nitrox computer
$1149

Really appreciate all the help, Im looking forward to getting my own gear and filling up my log book!

Last edited:
Glad to see that you are committing to the sport and truly becoming a Diver.

i would go with the mares package or the tusa . what i particularly like about the mares package is that it still has an analog air gauge (just in case).

Look into the zeagle express tech bcd
HOG D1 reg
and a basic wrist mount nitrox computer.
All this should run under $1000

Are you sure you want a jacket style BCD and a console computer? $1200 can go a long way if you bought a simple BP/W, bottom timer and a couple of HOG regs. Just a thought.

Yeah, the jacket styles are what I have used before, and its comfortable for me. Not set on a console computer, but once again, is what I am used to. Thanks for the pointers, I will look into those suggestions.

Edit: upon further consideration I would rather have a jacket style BCD. I wouldnt mind buying things separately if it came out to around the same price but with better components.

I was leaning in that direction also.. lets say I went with the TUSA package, any opinions on that one? Maybe narrowing it down would help out. It looks like it would be a great turnkey package, unless any of the components arent that great..

Oceanic has a couple of packaged sets also. They are upgradeable if there are any specific components you are interested in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom