Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: The cost of incremental improvement

Registered

Would like to change his
    status to "retired"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevrumbo View Post
    Lynne, if you think it's stupidly expensive then you have the luxury of lots of discretionary stupid money to spend on stupidly frivolous things. . . .
    Can't wait to try the term "discretionary stupid money" on my wife......instead of the currently used tactic of whining until she yells at me to buy what I want.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    It's all relative...personally I'm saving money at a rate I'm happy with, so if I really want something I'm gonna get it. If you are on track for retirement and have the extra cash buy the light!

Ps. It occurred to me that I sound like Suze Orman, so I thought about it more and maybe you should also try harder to sell your old gear. I have an issue with not selling gear I know I'll never need, but I justify it by thinking that someone can borrow it one day. So maybe I should take my own advice, sell some old gear and pull the trigger on that drysuit that I've been toying with for a year.
    Last edited by ktomlinson; May 27th, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

Assimilated Medical Mod

Currently broken

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Well, I've taken to measuring everything in life in "Mexico cave trip" units. About $2500 will get me and Peter to MX for a week. So the light is most of a Mexico trip unit, which puts it in a bit of perspective.
    Xaryo and asha like this.
    "If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered." (PfcAJ)
    My dive journal can be read here, and a current dive blog HERE
    Okay, you've heard all our opinions. Want to know what the science is? http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/
    www.divematrix.com

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by TSandM View Post
    Well, I've taken to measuring everything in life in "Mexico cave trip" units. About $2500 will get me and Peter to MX for a week. So the light is most of a Mexico trip unit, which puts it in a bit of perspective.
    I like that! But imagine how the caves will look with that new light
    1982shawn likes this.

Registered

waiting to dive again.

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    My wife and I look at our upgrades or buying of equipment the same way. Man if I buy that dry suit sure I could dive a few more times a year ( right now ) so 6000 bucks (need two suits) maybe 20 more dives this year in the late season with cold ambient temps. Or we could take two courses and do a trip.....The trips and courses usually win out right now

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Unfortunately our vacations are limited by my wife's vacation time. TSandM, on that budget, how much diving are you able to do, and how much of that cost is airfare? I'm interested in a Mexican cavern trip.

Assimilated Medical Mod

Currently broken

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Half of the cost is airfare. We pay a couple hundred bucks for a rental car from Easy Way, and split a 2 bedroom condo with two or three other people for a week. Tank rental and fills has become really inexpensive, since we do one long cave dive a day (so one set of doubles and a stage). We eat breakfast at the condo and eat lunch in a restaurant, and then snack and go out for margaritas at night.

If this would be your first MX trip, though, I'd HIGHLY recommend hiring a guide, at least for some of the days. Although some places, like Dos Ojos and Grand Cenote, are easy to get to and easy to dive, there are other caverns that would are not typically used for the tourist dives, which are very beautiful and would be great for a certified cavern diver. They aren't always easy to find, and sometimes you just need to know who to pay or where to get a key.
    "If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered." (PfcAJ)
    Okay, you've heard all our opinions. Want to know what the science is? http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/
    www.divematrix.com

Tech Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I guess I'm lucky. After ditching most of the gear I initially bought, I've been very happy with the gear that replaced it. I haven't had to upgrade or replace anything in the past 6-7 years. Of course, the money I saved by not upgrading/replace allowed me to buy even more of the same gear.

Lynne, if you're getting rid of the scooter, I know somebody who will take good care of it!!!!

Assimilated Medical Mod

Currently broken

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    No, haven't gotten to "sell the scooter" yet, although we don't use them much. Just trying to sell the stuff I want to replace
    www.divematrix.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Well, I've taken to measuring everything in life in "Mexico cave trip" units.
    I think the same way....how much diving could I do for the price of X...it really tends to cut down on the unnecessary gear purchases.

I just happened to be driving in north FL right past caveadventurers on my birthday this year, so I had to splurge on a 18lb oxy wing and a reel. Usually though I'm pretty frugal and a lot of my gear is used. Speaking of which, maybe I'd be interested in your old light if you decide to upgrade in the fall....I'm a little stretched for the next few months having done some expensive house renovation this spring.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast