The cost of incremental improvement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I will confess it . . . I have a lot of dive gear. I have a fair amount of dive gear which replaced other dive gear I bought. I bought the original stuff because I thought I liked it, and I replaced it because I found something I thought I liked better.

Recently, I have run into two "I think I'll like it better" issues where I haven't been willing to pull the trigger on replacing what I have. With one of them, I WOULD do it if I could sell what I have now (which I haven't been able to). With the other, the incremental cost of upgrading, even after selling what I have, would be over $1000 -- and I just can't come up with a justification for why the new product is THAT much better than what I'm using.

So I'm wondering . . . for those of you out there who are lusting after some piece of dive gear you think would make life better, what's the financial penalty that's stopping you from getting what you think you really want?

Does an "upgrade" from Jet fins to a scooter count? ... if so, the additional layout is in the order of $5k+ to get what I'd really like :D

That said, I'm very (very) picky when I buy gear, so I've been fortunate that I really like most of my gear. I would like to upgrade my MK10/G250 deco regs to Apeks DS4/XTX50 - mostly to minimize the number of parts I need to stock for service. But since the MK10/G250s breathe as well as my Apeks primary regs, it's hard to justify the 2 x ~$500 for an upgrade.

I've also been drooling over the Santi drysuits, but again, the sizable cost to "upgrade/side-grade" from my DUI FLX Extreme is just not in the cards until I win the lottery - which will be any day now ... :)

Henrik

Reactions: Jax
I was drooling over the new Dive X-tras lights again . . . now that they are actually shipping.

I'd like a custom cut drysuit but they are expensive (relative term, I know) for the amount of diving I do. One day if I'm not too old I'll have time to dive more which would make the investment in a MtoM suit easier to justify.

As far as the incriemntial cost thing, maybe I'd go for an X1 or sherwater and use that in place of bottom timers.

I purchased all of my gear at the same time as getting my OW. I have since gone to a tec setup. The last pieces I need to replace are my computer damndest a wrist compass. I have a three gauge console. It is not so much I have to replace the computer but it is awkward trying to wrist mount a console! JK Here's the rub, I know I won't get enough to cover the cost of the new computer from selling the console. I can actually strip the console to get the computer and compass and have an extra SPG. So unlike your $1000 dilemma I'm only looking at $200 - 300.

I was drooling over the new Dive X-tras lights again . . . now that they are actually shipping.

I really like a lot of the ideas in that light, but the beam angle (unless they changed it) is just too wide for my taste. I realize the light is bright and all, but I find even the 8° beam on my MB-Sub VB50 to be a tad wider than I like. The beam just disperses too quickly for longer distance or brighter conditions ... but that light is still my favorite "compromise" in can lights, which is why it's not on my "incremental upgrade" list ... yet :)

Buy the Shearwater, it's better if you just get the fischer connecter on it, because, well, ya know. You'll never regret having that big screen.

I only tend to buy new kit when:

1. Old stuff is worn out and needs replacing.

2. It provides a capability I currently don't possess, but do actually need (not just want).

This year I spent money on sidemount kit - I didn't have that (although my initial solution was a 'Frankenstein' made from existing clutter for the most part - it was refined with several new items before reaching the current stage of evolution).

I also replaced a very 'dead' single-tank wing... with a nice new 18lb'er that I've wanted for ages.

I still need my ancient Suunto Vyper to die... but it won't. Same is true for dive lights - I want a new can light, but can't justify the cost to upgrade from my trusty handheld LED lights (on universal goodman). They do the job, just fine, for how I dive. Would like some more stage regs also - but those will be strictly 'bargains'... waiting for a bargain to come along.

Back
Top Bottom