pocket rescue mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

villesci

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a rescue diver, so I recently bought a pocket rescue mask to keep in my BCD pocket. The masks at my local store stocked were the emergency first responder brand and went for $30...I thought I could do better so I bought a basic mask online for $5. My two questions are - why would a mask be that expensive? Does the case have an O ring on it or something? Also, since the case for my new mask is clearly not watertight, would that be an issue in a rescue scenario if I take out a rescue mask which had been immersed in salt water - in other words, should I be keeping my rescue mask dry?

I'm a rescue diver, so I recently bought a pocket rescue mask

Good idea!
to keep in my BCD pocket.

No-so-good-idea. :cool:

The masks at my local store stocked were the emergency first responder brand and went for $30...I thought I could do better so I bought a basic mask online for $5. My two questions are - why would a mask be that expensive? Does the case have an O ring on it or something?

I've never seen one that had an o-ring in the case, and have certainly never seen one that was submersible.

Also, since the case for my new mask is clearly not watertight, would that be an issue in a rescue scenario if I take out a rescue mask which had been immersed in salt water - in other words, should I be keeping my rescue mask dry?

Yes. The mask contains a filter that keeps airborne particles from being transferred between the victim and rescuer. Being wet will clog it, making the mask unusable.

The mask should be kept in your dive bag or first aid kit

flots.

Thanks for the advice! Normally I would not think to keep it in my bcd pocket, but the PADI rescue diver book says somewhere that you should store a mask in your bcd pocket so you can do rescue breaths easier at the surface...but yeah, it just doesn't make sense to submerge it!

I don't believe the rescue masks clog when wet, and although I don't carry one while diving (I have one in my first aid kit), I don't see a problem with it.

So, I'll wait until someone can back up a statement on this before deciding (since I can't back up mine).

I don't believe the rescue masks clog when wet, and although I don't carry one while diving (I have one in my first aid kit), I don't see a problem with it.

Mine contains a filter. Even if you could blow the water out, seawater is far from sterile and I wouldn't want it in my mask anyway.

flots.

They make several different types of masks. Some have the filter and some do not. The idea is to provide short quick breaths into the victum. I personally don't carry one because there is really no place on a backplate / wing setup. My priority is to get the person to the boat or shore where proper rescue can happen. If necessary, I will do emergency breaths without the mask. I have never seen or know anyone that carries one in the water, but I guess there are probably those somewhere that do.

Have you tried doing effective in-water rescue breathing without a solid bottom to stand on while making efficient forward progress towing? Even in calm waters it's a hard process.

Keep the mask on shore with your surface support. It'll take out the hassle of dealing with a positive buoyant piece of equipment and maintenance/cleanliness of your one-way filter valve.

Last edited:
My experience is that a wet filter greatly increases the breathing resistance making it difficult to render rescue breaths. My preference is to carry a rescue mask without a filter in my BCD - in choppy water it helps a lot with airway protection. I find it also makes it easier to get a good seal without having to tilt the victim's head too far to one side or having to constantly kick myself up and over the victim.

I also keep a complete rescue mask in my emergency kit on shore.

As someone who performs field resucitation regularly, I've got issues with pocket masks offshore. They are:

> Establishing / maintaining an effective seal. Try it in the dry sometime in ideal conditions on a suitable mankin; most mask brands require two full hand grips to seal effectively, whilst maintaining proper head tilt, whilst delivering an appropriate volume of air to the patient - no small feat in ideal conditions.

> Mask contamination

> Patient propulsion. If you're a lone rescuer, you'll be forced to tow the patient by their jawline / head to make way while attempting to breathe for them. If you have help, you'll be a hinderence to speed due to the necessary body position for delivering breaths.

> Inability to conduct REALISTIC practice. This problem extends for all forms of in-water rescue breathing, making it difficult to impossible to evaluate the efficacy of a given technique, or for the develoment of rescuer skill competency.

In most instances I believe it to be in the patient's best interest for the rescuer to make all speed for the nearest hard, flat, & dry surface to conduct effective BLS. There are exceptions of course, for instance: a witnessed drowning where the patient is recovered to surface quickly. Chances are the patient's heart is still functioning & respirations might be restored quickly with immediate ventillations. There are no doubt other examples. Perhaps it would be best to educate rescuers to the realities, then train them to use common sense judgement on a case-by-case basis. But I digress. Keep the pocket mask w/ oxygen port in the 1st aid kit & provide your patient about 40% O2, or better yet, get certified in the use of a bag valve & give them close to 100% O2!

Regards,
DSD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom