How/Where to attach my knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebastian

Contributor
Reaction score
Until now I've carried my small dive knife on my weight belt. Now that I've got my own BCD (Sherwood Outback) I was thinking that it might be more beneficial to have the knife attached on the BCD.

What would be the best spot to attach it and how.

One feature the knife holster has is a metal band on the back with two screws. The use of this is that you can basically screw it onto the BCD by making two holes in the strap (see pictures)

Thanks,

Sebastian

I had a similar knife a while back and I used a couple of zip ties through the cut outs on the holster to attach it to the sholder strap just below the D ring. I mounted it upside down, mine had a lock so the knife couldn't fall out, running the first zip tie through the fabric loop that held the D ring to the sholder strap and then through the bottom cut out on the holster. I then just ran another zip tie throught he upper cut out and around the sholder strap to hold it from flopping around.

Good luck,

Scott

I always thought the best place for your knife was clenched between your teeth...

I think you had it in the best place to start with. I wear mine on my belt just left of center. Actually I carry a pair of shears there and a small knife in a thigh pocket.

Common places (waistbelt and shoulder strap) have been mentioned. For my part I think that it's important that you can get at it with both hands. That makes the waistbelt my first choice. If you can't mount it with the holster you have then you can easily make a nice holster out of seat-belt material and a bit of velcro.

Cheers,
R..

I keep mine zip tied to the left strap of my BC upside down. Makes it easy to get out if you need it. I would opt for the zip ties before you start punching holes in your BC

Looking at that BC picture, if you don't like the mounting scheme already shown there (I don't because it'd be difficult to get to the knife with the left hand), my desire would be to attach it behind the pocket near center on the cummerbund (handle up). Can't tell if there is a space between the pocket and the front of the cummerbund where it could go, or if you'd have to attach it in the velcro closure area - but it looks like there's plenty of velcro there that you could do it without affecting the cummerbund's security.
Rick

Thanks for all your input.

I'm gonna try the different methods mentioned and see which one suits me best.

I would opt for the zip ties before you start punching holes in your BC

Yeah I was thinking zip ties as well. I don't think I could ever punch a hole into my BCD....it's just too beautiful :D

I don't like zip ties for anything I want to keep. I spent a half hour looking for one of my wifes backup lights once. I told her not to zip tie the bolt snap to the light.

I attached mine to my right shoulder strap, which generally works well, and is easy to get at with either hand. One thing with my configuration is that the knife is a bit too long, and sits where the strap is starting to bend, which can be uncomfortable some times.

A number of people I dive with have switched to smaller dive tools that don't take up as much room, and have less chance to catch on stuff. A number of the BCs also have gromits that fit specific tools that simply just screw on.

One comment I have is to check how easy it is to get out, and also to put back in. Particularly making sure that it is securely attached.

Back
Top Bottom