What NOT to buy used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyingSquid

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about the reasons for not buying something used I came up with: safety concerns, price difference does not make it worth, aesthetics, hygiene. (Any others?)

The most obvious reason for buying something used is: make a better use of your money. Although you can think of others, such as helping a friend out or owning a model you particularly like but is no longer being produced.

A simple question: what equipment you wouldn't recommend buying used and why?

And since we are here, why not: what equipment you would recommend buying used and why?

Assume money is not abundantly growing in your garden. :)

Stuff like old Dacor, No Parts Support

Last edited:
Wetsuit. I don't want to swim in someone else's pee. Otherwise if you know what to look for and the deal is actually a deal there's nothing I can think of.

Jim,
I can suggest one item not to buy - The stainless steel Halcyon inflator.

There just is not much that I have not bought used and online. Even the can of wetsuit cement might be worth taking a look at.

In fact, I prefer certain older model regulators that are long out of production so used is about the only option. Manufacturers and shops work very hard to devalue used gear so there are qui9te a few major savings opportunities. Tanks are the one exception. You can usually do fair;ly well if you shop around for a good buy on new tanks.

I buy new because I am young and new to the sport. I plan to own my gear for decades and something that has already been used for years likely has less life in it.

Besides, If I do not know how it was maintained, it could end up costing much more in repairs than the savings.

I buy new because I am young and new to the sport. I plan to own my gear for decades and something that has already been used for years likely has less life in it.

Besides, If I do not know how it was maintained, it could end up costing much more in repairs than the savings.

This so not true. I have regulators that are decades old that are just as good as when they were new. A good thirty-year-old regulator can be just as good another thirty years from now. My favorite reg is a 1959 DA Aquamaster double hose. It breathes even better now than it did new. I also have a deep affection for the US Divers Aqua-Lung Conshelf series and the old, reliable USD Aquarius.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom