H and EE complaints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading complaint after complaint of "H" products. While we are talking about a small minority that, honestly, pushes the true limits of their equipment and themselves, the vocal minority is probably less than 5% of the total number of unsatisfied consumers. Taken in this perspective, it is a bit disturbing that a company that prides itself with building the best equipment seems to have a fair number of complaints.

I'm not an operations manager, but doesn't this seem to be a quality control issue? Quality control isn't the consumer going back to the manufacturer to point out problems in the production line. Quality control is fixing things before they progress up the production line. Some companies such as Dell chose to address product failures by replacing the product entirely.

Simply replacing one poorly made product with another is, IMHO, poor inventory control, which in turn, hides poor quality control. While replacing the product is good customer service and helps with customer retention, I argue that this is poor short-term management. You can get away with this when margins are high and you can absorb these additional costs. However, long-term you are losing brand value as consumers perceive issues in quality control. eg. Mercedes.

On a personal note, I have been dismayed by the move to highlight the logo across product lines as brightly as possible. While I appreciate the desire to highlight brand awareness, I would argue that the blatent branding of the logo on their products is not in line with the core values of the brand and has irrevocably damaged the brand's integrity.

Hantzu

Problems should ideally be resolved before products reach consumers, but my personal experience is that the majority of Halcyon gear I've purchased has performed as expected.

The one problem I've had (flimsy plastic fasteners for the MC pack) were quickly replaced with SS items at no charge.

The advent of competing product lines (e.g., Oxy wings, etc.) will likely inspire Halcyon to pay greater attention to fixing these types of problems.

The overdone displays of their logo doesn't make their products more aesthetically appealing, but I doubt it's seriously damaged demand. I did, however, remove the huge oval patch on my MC pack.

Heh, I've seen a bit of it.

I have posted a long story about an Explorer wing here..... and I have one of Halcyon's SS BPs that they didn't bother to debur the slots on, which of course chewed up the webbing far more quickly than it should have.

The latter was easily fixed with a dremel, but for the price it should have been done at the factory. The better news was that the since the webbing was trashed I called up NESS and ordered a length of webbing and replaced it - for a whole $12 or so - and now there is no "H" in there anymore :D

I do, however, have an older "test-tube" style HID Halcyon can light and its been flawless. Lots of people have had striking problems with these lights - I've had none. Now, of course, having said that, it will probably fail the next time I go to use it :D

Just that George leaving the WKPP seems to have been a catalyst for some changes in both of those businesses mentioned.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom