Retractable or Coiled Cables for Flashlights, slates, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChimarraoMate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In your opinion, what is the best way to attach gear like flashlights, slates, etc.to D rings. I am new, so I do not know what I'll like better, but would appreciate recommendations. Safety and quality at a low price with ease of use and good function are what I am looking for.

Thanks!

You'll find that the coiled and retractable attachment manufacturers hate ScubaBoard. They sell based on buyers being unaware of why they're bad. I'll tell you: They add clutter, they're likely to fail, they're more expensive than a bolt snap, and there's no real need for them.

I have a wrist slate on my wrist (bungee-style, not o-ring), wet notes in my drysuit pocket if dry....at the surface if not. I clip all of my lights off with a boltsnap as BuddhaSummer posted, and then use a bit of bungee or innertube to keep the light cleanly run against my webbing.

the only thing I would use a coiled leash on is......

nothing!

Great advice above.....

As buddasummer has stated the "ONLY" acceptable way is a bolt snap. I use cave line between the bolt snap and light/compass/other. The idea is if it gets hung up, 1 swipe from a line cutter and you are free.

Also the gear should not hang free, cut a 2 1/2 inch diameter bike tube into 1/4-1/2 sections and place them on your harness. Clip the blot snap to the D ring and then secure the item to the webbing with the inner tube section. This keeps you streamlined and less likely to bang your gear or get it stuck on some structure.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if it can't be secured on the rings, it should be in pockets... Leashes (bungie, not coiled things) in pockets to create a daisy chain are acceptable for multiple items....

As usual, the best is what works for you and your dive environment. I'm outside the norm for SB, I do like a retractable line on my computer console. Bolt snap, wrist or pocket for the rest.

I'm not a techie, a caver, DIR, GUE or any of that stuff. Purely clear blue warm water and pretty fish for me. Having said that, retractors and coiled bungees are a pain in the keester. Bolt snaps are the way to go for me.

I, too, like retractors. However, if you go that direction (and I understand why many here do not like them), be aware that they do not last. If the line is braided stainless wire, it will eventually corrode (assuming a salty environment) and break. The stainless spring will also corrode and eventually break. I use three retractors: A medium strength one for my computer console, the smallest I could find for a slate kept 99.9% of the time in a pocket and a strong one with a braided nylon cord (maybe it will last??) attached to my relatively small camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom