Looking for opinions on Waterproof-USA (brand) wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbahr

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterproof

Any 1st hand experience that can compare against the standard fare? Heat retention is important to me...

TIA

Ray

I am also interested in this band. I have seen them in my dive club and they look pretty good. I like the zippered neck.

waterproof makes some great suits. I think you will different answers from everybody on how well suits hold in heat. But as far as I think.......they do very well. All their suits have ankle, wrist, & neck seals. Not sure how well the neck seal works coz I don't hang upside down when I'm done diving. But I know the water that is held in my suit is still there after I take off all my gear until I reach down and pull the seal from each wrist and take off my boots and pull out the ankle seals. It will not come out if you don't! My daughter has the semi-dry and it has the same wrist and ankle seals, just a different neck sealing and a dry suit zipper on the back. She comes out of the water sometimes and her rashguard shirt is still half dry.
The only thing I would say is....if you have a "different" sized body maybe not a good suit for you. Their suits are "sclupted" or "molded" and don't stretch like other suits. So make sure you get the right sized one if you get one or you'll have "voids". They are made very well, very strong and hold up well. Only thing I would do different is NOT buy the W1. (front zip) You have to practice to be a contortionist to get it off by yourself. I was thinking it would be easier to get out of. NO WAY.
Oh, I live in California BTW. The normal average dive temps here are around 50-53F. My dives are usually about 80-90 minutes, I'm chilled by the end of the dive but not freezing. I normally I end the dive beacuse of air or dead batteries in my camera, not because of being cold. But once in a while I do get cold and end it. I usually do 3-5 dives a day when I go for a weekend of diving. My daughter usually dives 40-45 minutes and gets out because she's cold. And she normally only does 2 dives and she's done for the day. But she's in her 20s and doesn't have the "natural" insulation her daddy does. :)

I bought one of these (the W1) on clearance last year. Only used it once. But it is very nice. I like the way it seals at the wrists and ankles. Im planning on getting the hood for it soon too. It is much warmer than my old wetsuit but that could be the difference between 5mm and a 3/2 mm lol I also like that it is a front zip, not sure if that applies to the model you are looking at

I have a W1 7mm. Love it. Hard to get out of it unless someone can pull it down over the elbows. Neoprene for W1 and W2 are different. W1 is more stretchy than the W2, also W1 is a more expensive neoprene (unless the lds & rep are giving me some bs). Waterproof stands behind their products well. I think they are well designed and made. My dive buddy was looking at my suit last yr and was impressed at the detail and quality. It's also warm. Only thing is to make sure it fits you well. I wear my 7mm with a skin top and 3mm core warmer and NE diving is pleasant for me down to low 50ºF most of the time.

As for a hood, I have a Bare Elastek 7mm and that is one fantastic hood! Long bib and skin-in face seal. Keeps my head very warm. Also has air holes in the top to release trapped air but lets no water in.

Thanks guys...

My wife and I have some 6-7 YO Henderson's, I am not the happiest with them, and we tend to get cold - we are usually in for anywhere 60-90 min 3-4 times a day, and we are heading for Saba - whose water temps are running < 80deg....

Ray

Are Waterproof suits comparable in warmth to the old Pinnacle (pre-merger) fully lined merino suits?

One of my dive buddies has one of the higher end models. He doesn't even wear thermals, just some underarmour in our 40 degree Fahrenheit water...while I pack on underarmour, a 200g jump suit, and a Whites sport drysuit. So, I imagine it is very good in the heat department. All the other features seem fairly standard. More money than I would ever pay for a dry suit though :p

waterproof makes incredibly warm wetsuits with astonishingly many different sizes. used one for my first several years of diving and it's the only brand I've seen someone use in winter (no, not kidding).
FishLovingStudent: Idon't think thermal underwear is a good idea with a WETSUIT, but yes, their drysuits are also quite warm:)

Ah! I did not notice the wet suit part :arrow:

Back
Top Bottom