BC for a beginner???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyramid65

Contributor
Reaction score
New to the sport and look'in to get some equipment...I have purchased the basic stuff, mask, snorkel, boots, hood, gloves, and fins...what about a BC, wet-suit and regulator? Will be doin most of my diving off the Jersey shore....thx for any and all replies

If you have not taken your course yet try a few different styles while in class. And possibly rent a few others after you are certified to figure out what you like. Some people like jacket's, some like back inflates and some even like back plates and wings. If you are not sure rent for a while and see what other divers in your area are using.

You don't want to rush a purchase just to replace it.

New to the sport and look'in to get some equipment...I have purchased the basic stuff, mask, snorkel, boots, hood, gloves, and fins...what about a BC, wet-suit and regulator? Will be doin most of my diving off the Jersey shore....thx for any and all replies

Welcome to the board! Some great diving off the Jersey shore...

Are you certified yet? Have you done any Jersey shore dives yet?

Terrific! Exciting, huh?

I would definitely not purchase anything until you are certified. You don't have the training yet to understand what the tradeoffs or other gear considerations are, and there is no rush on this. Many people (especially people who don't dive that much) dive for years with rental equipment until they feel ready to make those choices.

Also, some people just find out in the class that they don't like diving, so no point in buying a lot of gear until you know that it's something that you are going to continue with...

Good luck!

Mike

Thx Mike...something I've wanted to do for years and just never did, after 10 minutes in a pool I know it's something I need to do, as far as equipment goes, just look'in out there to see what people recommend while doin my own research, not look'in to buy now but I'd rather have my own equipment in the future and maintain it myself

There is a lot of equipment out there, and some of it looks extremely appealing to beginners or non-divers, but proves to be unwieldy and unnecessarily complicated in practice. If you look at people who dive actively and persist in the sport over time, you'll find a definite trend toward simple equipment. It takes very little to make a BC -- you need an air bladder, a way to get air in and out of it, and some straps to attach it to the diver. The rental BCs which are used in classes are generally what's termed a "jacket" type, where the air bladder wraps around the diver, acting like a kind of life ring on the surface. These tend to be very large and heavy, and many people don't like the feeling of being compressed when the bladder is inflated.

You can also have a BC where the air bladder is all on your back. This makes the BC a little less bulky and makes it lighter. You do have to pay attention to fit and sometimes to your weighting, because all your lift is behind you (which is only an issue on the surface).

People often opt for pockets, but the pockets on many BCs are difficult to access while diving, and other methods of storing small items are sometimes preferable. Lots of people like what's called "integrated weights", where you don't have to wear a separate weight belt, but instead place weights into pockets that store in the BC. This has positives and negatives. It makes the BC bulkier. It makes it heavy to move around on land or on a boat deck, once you have installed the weights. The weights may or may not be located in the right place to make you balance nicely in a horizontal position (this is particularly an issue in cold water diving). It does do away with the need for a weight belt or harness. Many men have trouble wearing weight belts because they don't have much of a waist to keep them up.

At any rate, I would highly recommend that you not buy any equipment until you have taken your class. If there are shore diving sites near you, go visit some and talk to the divers (we LOVE to talk about our gear!). See if you find a common theme in what people have found to work for their environment. Don't let the dive shop talk you into the highest profit margin BC they carry, with all kinds of bizarre bells and whistles that may, in the long run, make your life harder rather than easier.

I agree with pretty much everything above.

The one thing that I want to emphasize is that there is no reason to think along the lines of getting "beginner" gear, especially in terms of a BCD. The gear used by supposedly advanced divers is no harder to use than the gear commonly used in basic instructional settings; in fact, it is often easier to use.

I recently certified two old friends while on a trip to Mexico. We rented gear there, and the only stuff available was a very basic model of jacket BCD, the kind described by TSandM above. We did what we could to distribute weight to get the gear nicely trimmed out. About a month ago we met again, this time in Florida to do their next stage of training. The shop from which we rented gear was able to rent us a high quality model of a style often associated with very advanced divers. We didn't have to do any modifications on it, and they were thrilled with how much easier it was to use that gear.

As a final point, in most cases, the "expert" gear will cost about the same as the "beginner" gear, and it can potentially last for the rest of your diving career.

Shoot me your email via PM. I have an article I wrote on a gear option for new divers. Illustrated but it's big file and cannot post it here on SB with all the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom