Zippy Ties Get a Lot of Use by us Divers and Here's a Better Design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a bag of these some time ago and every time I've used one it failed. They're much weaker than regular zip ties and I avoid them.

I bought a bag of these some time ago and every time I've used one it failed. They're much weaker than regular zip ties and I avoid them.
Ditto.........The locking mechanism on the 'low-profile' ty's is not as strong/reliable as the standard ty's.......They have their uses, but not where you need a strong tie.......

I like this style of tie for many things and have never had a problem. But I haven't been able to find them for years and ration the ones I have left.

I like this style of tie for many things and have never had a problem. But I haven't been able to find them for years and ration the ones I have left.
I have a bag of them and hate them. Will sell them at cost plus shipping.

You could also just take a dremel to a normal zip tie to get rid of the rough edges, done carefully it poses no risk to equipment or the hold of the zip tie. That said in my OW class I did have problem with the zip tie on the octo getting caught in the holding ring, it wasn't a real danger but added about 2 seconds to get the octo out which could make a big difference underwater in a real OOA emergency.

Last edited:
Thanks to the folks for letting me/us know these new fandangled zip ties are not the cats meow. It had me curious so I did a search and couldn't find any info on what the tang was made out of.

I find the zip ties from Home Depot that have the metal tang work the best for scuba gear. They are very strong since typically the weakest link is the tang. They are also UV resistant which is another major reason for them to fail. Otherwise Harbor Freight handles the duty for the zip ties I am not worried about breaking.

Either way how you cut a zip tie makes the biggest difference if it is sharp or not. Cut it flush with flush cutters, or using a sharp razor blade, and most every zip tie will not have a sharp edge to it.

I just put a dab of superglue into the slot with the tang in there and it takes most every sharp point out of it. Using the flush cutters helps, but having the superglue on there keeps them stuck where they're supposed to be a minimizes the risk of getting cut.

Thanks to the folks for letting me/us know these new fandangled zip ties are not the cats meow. It had me curious so I did a search and couldn't find any info on what the tang was made out of.

I find the zip ties from Home Depot that have the metal tang work the best for scuba gear. They are very strong since typically the weakest link is the tang. They are also UV resistant which is another major reason for them to fail. Otherwise Harbor Freight handles the duty for the zip ties I am not worried about breaking.

Either way how you cut a zip tie makes the biggest difference if it is sharp or not. Cut it flush with flush cutters, or using a sharp razor blade, and most every zip tie will not have a sharp edge to it.

Tobin uses the metal tang ones on his DSS wings. Does the metal rust?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom