Seacure Mouthpieces - Sizes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectroPulse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, all!

I have TMJ, and whenever I dive my jaw really gets a workout... All of the mouthpieces on rental gear I've used suck.

I'll be living in Palau for another year, and will be leaving in the next few days. Since I will be mainly diving with rental gear, I would like to purchase a mouthpiece that doesn't require me to clamp down so friggen' hard.

Anyway, I've read that the Seacure mouthpiece is good for people with TMJ... And based on the pictures of it, and how far back in my mouth it would go, I'd imagine they're right.

So, to my question: Which size should I get for using with rental gear? Nothing fancy, no rebreathers or anything. I am not familiar with the types of regulators out on the market, and which are most common, so I don't understand the information on Amazon about which type is used for which regs.

Which would you recommend in my situation? (link to Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Seacure-Type-...e=UTF8&qid=1406165694&sr=1-1&keywords=seacure)

Also, other recommendations are welcome as well!

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

There is only one size. The number refers to the brand of regulator it will fit. The challenge is which brand of reg you will be using as that dictates which Sea Cure by number. If you are going to spend a year in Palua, I would recommend getting your own reg set. HOG has a good reg at a reasonable price, but I am not sure if they have Sea Cures for them yet? Get a simple wrist computer, and a pressure gauge and you will have a good reg set that will serve you well.

A couple of pointers. Cut the wings way back. In other words cut the ends off, as many people will have a smaller mouth than you and for donation, or having it taken from your mouth it is best to have it fit others mouths too.

Don't bite down very hard. You just need to set your teeth a little into it. Too much and you won't be able to breathe very well.

The number or model does relate to size, but not the part that goes in your mouth. It's the part that attaches to the regulator when you remove the mouthpiece. And different brands have different sizes, as stupid as that may seem.

Do not do what you are thinking about. Not only is it a hassle to keep changing mouthpieces back and forth, it requires tools, zip ties, and permission of the dive shop that owns the equipment. Like Peter said, you are better off with your own reg set. Or at least your own second stage. The shop should have less of an issue with swapping a second stage.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Thank you for the replies!

Sorry, yes, that is what I meant by size... Which it will fit. Wasn't sure if there was one super-common size, and the rest were sort of specialty ones, or if they were all fairly equal in usage.

It was actually the dive shop that we go through that recommended it... They said "Find a mouthpiece that fits you, and we'll ziptie it on for you." So, at least for that shop, it's not an issue.

As for purchasing my own regs, I am currently a bit short on cash, and my income while working there is not at all substantial. On top of that, the local rate where we dive is the same whether we use their gear or bring our own. And, on top of that, I usually don't have a whole lot of free time during the school year to go diving (I work at a school there). Last year I only managed 3 or 4 times.

On the other hand, I am planning on sometime down the road purchasing my own SCUBA gear, and this would just be one piece I would be purchasing early if I went with it beforehand. How much would a decent reg set cost? (by the way, when you refer to "reg set," do you mean the full-blown octopus with a couple of regs?)

You will need to call the dive shop and ask them what regulator of theirs you will be using.

This is a good priced package of quality components. All you would be missing is a wrist computer, and a BC hose.
HOG Gear D1 Singles Regulator Package w/ SPG | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

There are lots of computer options
Hollis DG02 Digital Bottom Timer and Nitrox Computer | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
A300 Wrist Computer - Dive Right in Scuba

The Seacure mouthpieces are a hard polymer that is not that easy to change from one reg to another and will only fit the regs it is supposed to fit. Just buy a 2nd stage reg that you like and get a Seacure for that and have the dive shop screw it in place of whatever 2nd stage they have.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2014 at 09:21 PM ----------

The Seacure mouthpieces are a hard polymer that is not that easy to change from one reg to another and will only fit the regs it is supposed to fit. Just buy a 2nd stage reg that you like and get a Seacure for that and have the dive shop screw it in place of whatever 2nd stage they have. If money is really tight get a 2nd hand one. Ebay is full of them and they almost all work fine.

Like BRT says, the Seacure mouthpieces are not easy to change from one reg to another. The best way to get them on is to warm the back end with hot (NOT boiling) water for a couple of seconds and then push it onto the reg. A bead of clear silicone on the end of the reg like the stuff you use for bathrooms also helps to form a seal. Then zip tie it on. You should be able to find a second stage for very little cost. You might even ask the dive shop if they have a used rental they would consider selling to you. If you get a used one, make sure it is a brand that your shop can service.

If you can't contact the shop now to find out what they rent, the mouthpiece that will fit the most commonly used rental regs (Aqualung, Sherwood, ScubaPro, Oceanic etc.) is the Seacure Model 2.

While I like the Hog value for the money understand that the nearest Hog dealer to Palau is in Honolulu. So find someone to sell you a service kit to take with also so you have the parts. Fish n Fins advertises they can service most makes of regs and the Hogs are built on a standard design that's been around for years - they're manufactured overseas by a company that does that for multiple brands.

Also most Hog models are DIN. I'd guess most tanks on Palau are Yoke. So either you need an adapter or look at the Edge line which is the recreational Hog/Edge line. They're the same company.

Really though look hard at sites like Leisurepro.com or Scubatoys.com. You should be able to come up with a lot of alternatives for around $400 1st/2nd/Octo/2gauge console. Check LP's package deal section also - some of them are regulator only packages.

One interesting option with Leisurepro to consider since I noticed both Fish n Fins and Neco Marine are Aqualung Dealers:

An Aqualung Titan - a step up from their lowest end Calypso model retails thru their dealers for $360. Leisurepro buys overstocks and is not sanctioned by Aqualung but the same reg from them is $225.

The CATCH is that warranty service is only thru LeisurePro in NYC. However since we know both Palau dealers have the parts, I don't see why you couldn't pay cash for service if needed. During the first year - I really doubt it wlll be.

Add a set of gauges like the Oceanic or Tusa's for $110-115 more and a cheap Octo and you're around $400. LP has a Aeris Octo for $60 that will work fine. If you want the matching Titan Octo it's $99.

One big advantage I see to this is it works anywhere in the near future. Hog barely has any dealers outside the U.S. and Aqualung has one of the largest worldwide dealer networks. Scubapro/Subgear does also as does Mares. Cressi is another option that's strong in Europe and some of the Indo-Pacific. Cressi gear is very affordable also.

Also check out Dvers Supply. They're a Hog/Edge dealer among other brands So is Scubatoys. Also look at Aeris - they just recently announced they're being absorbed into Oceanic so there may be good deals on Aeris branded gear being closed out now. Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis are all American Underwater Products.

An alternate moldable mouthpiece is the Trident R530: Trident Ortho Mouthpiece W Bite Tabs - Sport Chalet
Most any diveshop can order it.
It’s cheaper and the portion that mates with the regulator is more pliable.
However, it doesn’t have as long a bite surface as the SeaCure.
There's also one by Jax, but I'm not familiar with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom