New equipment for Diving Internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arioc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I'm soon going to Malaysia for a 2 month diving internship to do my Divemaster and OWI course. Therefore I've been looking around for some equipment to buy, I went to a local dive shop and asked for some advice and this is the equipment I've chosen so far;

BCD: AL Axiom i3
Wet suit: Waterproof W3
Regulator: Titan LX set
Gauge: Suunto CB 2
Fins: Scubapro Seawing Nova (Not sure if I want full foot or open heel)
Mask: Scubapro Trinidad 2
Computer: Suunto Zoop

So my question is if any of you fellow divers have used this equipment, what you think of it or possibly have any advice/suggestions for different items.

Looks like a good list, and will be a great set of gear for teaching in too after your IDC - good quality with good warranty agreements (particularly Aqualung) and not to dissimilar to any rental gear so easy for your students too. If you have the extra cash, I'd go for open heel fins and booties. Gives you a bit more flexibility for later down the line.

Good luck with it all and enjoy your courses.

Why not use the equipment that you've owned all along to complete your training so that you can focus on the new content rather than being distracted growing accustomed to new gear?

The only equipment I ever had were my own snorkel and fins which are too small now.

Hi,

I'm soon going to Malaysia for a 2 month diving internship to do my Divemaster and OWI course. Therefore I've been looking around for some equipment to buy, I went to a local dive shop and asked for some advice and this is the equipment I've chosen so far;

BCD: AL Axiom i3
Wet suit: Waterproof W3
Regulator: Titan LX set
Gauge: Suunto CB 2
Fins: Scubapro Seawing Nova (Not sure if I want full foot or open heel)
Mask: Scubapro Trinidad 2
Computer: Suunto Zoop

So my question is if any of you fellow divers have used this equipment, what you think of it or possibly have any advice/suggestions for different items.

Hi Arioc :)

The selection of dive gear totally depends on your instructional needs, so think about where you want to be working in the near future, as in after you’ve completed the Instructor Development Course (IDC) and qualify as an Instructor!

I completed my internship in Sabah, Malaysia at Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures’ PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre on Gaya Island in Tunku Abdul Rahman Park and now in their employ as PADI IDC Staff Instructor. For my Go PRO internship, I purchased my dive gear at their Kota Kinabalu Dive Shop.

Dive Shop Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

A variety of reputable scuba diving brands are stocked at our Dive Shop and our experienced Assistants create combination packages aimed at different divers’ needs. You can browse the pages at this link to take a look at the packages we offer:

Combo Pack | Dive Shop Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

Don’t forget that as a dive professional you will need an audible AND visual signaling device; an RDP table or eRDPML for your dive theory study, the Divemaster Examination, as well as the Instructor Examination (IE); a time monitoring device for the IDC and IE; and a compass for underwater navigation.

We stock all these at our Dive Shop at Kota Kinabalu Times Square, and it’s also the location of our HQ, so you can visit us to browse the diving and adventure gear. At the same time, you can book a day of diving at our beach house or even consider continuing your Go PRO dive education under the direction of our resident Platinum PADI Course Director Richard Swann to complete a variety of courses beyond your IDC!

Add us on these social media arenas to keep up-to-date on our activities:

Blogs:
News | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!
News & Events | IDC Asia
Instructor Development Blog | Instructor Development Course IDC Malaysia, Asia
Our Blog | Gap Year Borneo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow
Twitter: https://twitter.com/divedownbelow
Pinterest: Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures on Pinterest
Tumblr: http://divedownbelow.tumblr.com

An I3 has a non-standard inflator. So it will be difficult for you to demo typical manual inflation technique while assisting in clasess when you don't have one. It's possible the shop won't want you to use that around o/w class customers so you may end up in one of their BC's during "official" DM training. Unless they're an Aqualung Dealer...:wink: I believe you can add a standard inflator by replacing the top flat valve also.

Most Dive Fins are open-heel. Conversely I've seen some instructors wear full-foot just so they can get out of them quicker back on the boat.

Maybe check with the shop you plan to use before you make any purchases. At least at the Instructor level some shops have preferred gear they like to outfit their staff with - often brands they sell...

Back
Top Bottom