EFR/Rescue Jump Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So many pre-made kits available online. Curious to get recommendations for a good kit to keep "at the ready" in my car.

What are your qualifications for rescue and emergency aid? What are your personal limitations for giving care?
What weather range are you most likely to encounter in your local area?

All that will dictate what you should carry in your bag.

I recently moved from San Francisco, CA to South Carolina, so my kit has to change a little.
I carry
- bandaids
- 1-use antibiotic ointment
- small bottle of Purrell
- Alcohol swaps
- Trauma Shears
- several pairs of nitrile gloves (my size, XS & common size Medium)
- Pocket Mask
- CPR Face shield
- Gauze roll
- various non-stick gauze pads & standard gauze pads
- Menstrual pads (heavy bleed soak pads)
- small plastic bag (bio-hazard/soiled bandage bag for each incident)
- Road Flares

All this goes in a 80's era red fanny pack; minus the road flares.
My training is Lifeguard and also equal Professional CPR, O2, AED, FA.
My goal for the pack was to deal with any cuts I got on short hikes or Parkour excursions. Usually I kept it on my pack or stayed close to my car depending on my outing.

The heavy bleeding was for traffic accidents or other unexpected life incidents where I would choose to render aid.
If I was using the heavy bleeding items, I would only be able to help one person, so I packed materials for aiding one person in that condition. Extra gloves and extra CPR Face shield were enticements to get help from others around. I always carried a 3rd (w/ my sized gloves) on my person at all times as well; made possible by wearing cargo pants instead of jeans.

In the event of a triage, cotton clothing (even soiled) would work; those who can help themselves, you set them up with their shirt or cut a sleeve and tell them to hold pressure. Those you can't, well you triage. You can only tend to one unconscious person with heavy bleeding. The Hospital is going to cut your bandaging first thing anyway which is why soiled doesn't matter as highly as you might think in civilian first response. Of course don't dip your shirt in sewage and use it, but I hope you get the idea.
Where I was in CA, someone always had a sweatshirt handy, so I wasn't worried about stocking lots of gauze or bandages.

My highest training for FA is only, call 911, to keep pressure and stop bleeding, and wait for EMT/Paramedics. So that's what I pack for.
Since I was on a college budget, that's all I was willing to pay to make my own kit. That and a little embarrassment as any guy would have asking his friend for heavy menstrual pads.

I never found the ready-made-kits stocking everything I needed. And they were always too pricey.

I do not like pre-made kits. Most often they have items that are low cost/high mark up and of little common use. I have a variety of home made kits based on what environment I'm going to be in, and what I've used in that environment in the past.

As g1138 said, what are your qualifications and experience, and what level are you willing and able to administer? Do you know how to apply a tourniquet? Are you CPR/AED trained? Are you going to get up to your elbows in it if presented with that?

That said, for dive situations, this is what I would recommend:

Personal Protective Equipment - gloves at a minimum
4x4s - as many as you can fit in your kit
Quickclot
Tourniquet(s) (not all are created equal, I prefer SOF TT W)
White medical/sports tape
Bandanas
SAM splint
CPR mask
Trauma shears
Israeli bandage
Compression gauze

My favorite pack is the Maxepedition Pygmy Falcon. It's a perfect size, comes in many colors, including red, which I use as an easily identifiable med bag.

In addition, I always have my own "boo-boo" bag, with comfort items like Tylenol, Motrin and Alleve, bandaids, purell, etc.
I also always have a cooler of water in the truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom