What are the Paracord sizes for diving needs...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Paracord diameter sizes for diving needs ?
I want to buy the right size....can't decide if it is
Standard "550 model" paracord ( 3.5~mm) ?
or the "275 model" ( 2.5~mm)
or the "microcord " ? ( 1.15~mm)

or useing a combination of 2 common sizes?

THX in advance

Why the interest in paracord? I find it flat, limp, and very strong. Possibly not as "stretchy" as braided nylon.

What I don't like about it is that you don't get the same feel when it is running through your hands, too slick, no feedback through thick gloves. My observations are based on #48 Braided (standard) vs. Catahoula TPW-84 paracord.

Why the interest in paracord? I find it flat, limp, and very strong. Possibly not as "stretchy" as braided nylon.

What I don't like about it is that you don't get the same feel when it is running through your hands, too slick, no feedback through thick gloves. My observations are based on #48 Braided (standard) vs. Catahoula TPW-84 paracord.
Ok....can you please add links ? Sorry I don't know the terminologies yet :)

Paracord diameter sizes for diving needs ?
I want to buy the right size....can't decide if it is
Standard "550 model" paracord ( 3.5~mm) ?
or the "275 model" ( 2.5~mm)
or the "microcord " ? ( 1.15~mm)

or useing a combination of 2 common sizes?

THX in advance

Just remember, most paracord is a separate inner core and sheath. This means that salt crystals (after repeated use) can build up inside the sheath and saw at the core. Theoretically you can prevent this by hand washing the line after each dip - which can be painfully time consuming.

If you're looking for a heavier duty line for up line or lift bag purposes, try #60 braided nylon line. Manta uses this in their Rescue Sr reel, and you can buy spools of it at Northeast Scuba Supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the regular 550 paracord to attach "stuff" to bolt snaps. I remove the inner threads and burn the ends after tying. Doesn't get too crusty in saltwater. Diver's duct tape!

I use the regular 550 paracord to attach "stuff" to bolt snaps. I remove the inner threads and burn the ends after tying. Doesn't get too crusty in saltwater. Diver's duct tape!

Sounds like a decent use... My concerns regarding paracord are if you're using for load bearing (relying on it's strength for emergency up line, etc).

The risk comes from leaving it as is (with core and sheath). It won't ever feel crusty, but the salt crystals are microscopic and will definitely shear the inner core (which is where the strength comes from).

For tying things - you may want to look at standard elastic cord too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BTW, if you're just looking to attach bolt snaps to hoses and such, #24 cave line is the way to go.

Start by explain what you want to use the chord for, that will eliminate a lot of guessing and bad advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom