What length "Long Hose" for Single Tank w/ Pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive an HP100 with a 19 bLailout bottle. I do not use a octo off my main tank. So currently the pony 2nd stage is on a necklace under my neck and my primary second stage is on a standard length hose. So this works great for me but not so great for someone whom I may need to one day extend air to. The hose on the primary 2nd stage is just too short to facilitate a smooth and comformartable donation. So I have decided to switch to the lost hose configuration on my main tank. Hence my quesiton. Given that the long hose will be coming off my main tank (center of back) how does this affect the length of the long hose I should use ?

I used to use a 5' hose, routed under my arm and around my neck, with a "non-swiveling" elbow like this one:
images

It worked great; the 120 degree angle is perfect, with tons of swivel at both the hose and regulator connection, so there's no need for a "universal swivel.'

The "universal swivels" suck, and then they fail.

Last edited:
It depends on the type of dives you a planning on making. 7 foot hoses are great, but they are really meant to allow air-sharing while diving single-file in a cave or wreck.

Why do you think you need a long hose of any type?

I'm glad this question came up. A while back I switched to a 5' primary with a necklaced backup. Long hose routing continues to bug me and I always get comments from DMs as I'm about to drop in. "Whoa there buddy, you've got that hose all tangled up, and it's around your neck!", then I have to quickly explain that's is how I intended it.

My primary comes of the 1st stage under the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder, around the neck ("yikes!")and into my mouth. It works pretty good for me, but it does feel a little stiff while out of the water. I reluctantly added an Omniswivel and I'll see how that goes this weekend.

Is there a better way to route the hose (under the left shoulder maybe)?

By the way, I did have the occasion to donate once last year and it made a huge difference. I'm sold on the idea, just need a little better routing.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

I now use a 40 inch hose routed from 1st stage, under right arm to mouth with a 90 degree elbow. Longer then the traditional 28 to 30 inch length but not as cumbersome as the long hose 5 to 7 foot configuration. Has worked well so far.

I run 1.5m (5 foot) on a single tank set up like this OK. A "standard" 2.1m 7 foot is not a problem but you end up with a bit of loose hose if you are not careful. You can use a couple of elastics to keep the hose neat and tidy and they ping off easily if you need to use the hose for real - nuisance for drills/training though. 1.5m is great for sharing in open water and 2.1m is what you need if following out of an overhead environment.

thanks to everyone for their replies and insights. I think I will try the 5 foot configuration since my wreck diving does not include significant penetration.

Safe diving to all !
George

5' hoses and 7' hoses route very differently. I don't like 5' hoses because they don't hook into anything whereas the 7' gets tucked into the waist belt or under the can light. I also have no use for 5' hoses because if I need a long hose the 7' goes on there. Normally I use a 44" hose with a 90* adapter going down under my right shoulder and back up to my mouth. Have been using that setup for years.

I switched from the 7' long hose to a 5' when I ditched the can light, mostly because it was easier to not have to tuck the extra two feet without a battery canister to hold the excess.

Before that for quite a while I used a 40" hose w/ 90° elbow. For recreational dives I could probably go back to that if I weren't so used to the routing of the long hose.

Back
Top Bottom