1st Set of Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm very new to diving only 2 dives since my OW course. I'm looking at purchasing my own set of gear and would like some opinions from seasoned divers. I don't want to cheap out because I know I'll regret it, but at the same time I don't want to break the bank. I'm only in the market for a BCD, Reg, Octo, Computer. I have everything else, but I'm just going to rent tanks cause I only plan on diving once or twice a month. Also I'm kind of picky about everything being the same brand. I feel more comfortable when everything's made by the same company, I'm like that with everything not just diving gear. Here's some stuff I've selected based on what kind of deal I can get and reviews. I wouldn't like to spend anymore than $1200. I'll update the list as I change things. If it's in red than I have ruled it out.

BCD - Mares Dragon AirTrim
Mares Hybrid Pure

Reg - Mares Instinct 12S (I have an Octomask and do a lot of GoPro stuff so I want a side exhaust to keep bubbles out of my shot. Does the side exhaust on the Instinct series actually work well?)
or Mares Abyss 22

Octo - Mares Instinct or Mares Rover or Mares Prestige

Computer - Mares Puck Air w/Compass (Air Integration is very intriguing to me, but is it reliable especially this specific computer?)

Any and all advice is welcome and thanks in advance and Dive Safe.

Last edited:
your first problem is same branding. You will soon realize that a lot of gear is contracted out to other manufacturers.

First point,
what do you want to do ultimately with your diving because this will greatly direct the suggestions of gear. You will find that most people on this board prefer backplate and wing systems because they are modular, more versatile, and overall better than jacket bc's despite your dive shop likely not having one in there or knowing anything about them.

You will also see recommendations for gear from brands you have likely never heard of, and that's ok.

IF you like the idea of servicing your own gear, you are very limited in the brands that you should be looking at. Knowing how to service your own regulators is a requirement in any sort of technical diving. It's not nearly as difficult as shops would like you to believe and in my opinion, all divers should understand how their equipment works, and the best way is to fix it. This limits you primarily to HOG and DiveRite for modern regulators. The rest of the companies lock their parts kits down to only certified technicians associated with a service center. Very irritating.
Best bang for buck singles regulator setup is this.
Hog D1 Singles Regulator Package w/ SPG - Dive Right in Scuba

BP/W systems are superior to jacket bc's, that is a fact of life. Unfortunately most dive shops think they're for cave diving and technical diving alone.
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Best bang for buck is that one
If you don't like the idea of a one piece harness, for an extra $100 you can add a "comfort harness" which looks and feels like a backpacking rig. Has padded shoulder straps, chest strap, and is more comfy for carrying tanks around.

Computers, you can pick up a Suunto Zoop or Hollis DG3 for $200 or so used and they work well and will last a long time. That's right around $1k and if you wait until Black Friday you will save another couple hundred when they go on crazy sale.

I dive Poseidon Jetstreams so have side exhaust and it is helpful but it is a very different side exhaust than the Mares which I would lead to more of a gimmick than anything. Most of my buddies dive with HOG or Apeks regs without side exhaust and with the gopro it's not an issue. The bubbles mostly follow your jawline and the gopros stick a bite forward of your forehead, so it's not much of an issue if you're in good trim.

good luck.

1) does your shop rent anything other than conventional bcd's? eg back inflate or bp/w? I would recommend trying out a back inflate bcd and a bp/w to see the differences before you buy something

2) bubble interference really isn't a big issue for most regulators. the hollis 500se and poseidon regs are other side exhaust regulators to look at. the hog d1 is hard to beat for value if you aren't dead set on side exhaust.

4) a lot of people prefer wrist mount (less bulk than a big console and easy to look out on your arm). the puck hits all the necessary points for rec diving (nitrox, gauge mode) but can be a bit on the conservative side. the single button can be a bit annoying for some. the hollis dg03 is a good choice. the zoop is conservative and missing gauge mode, but is really popular (might be due to ease of use). oceanic computers are relatively popular for being a bit more liberal.

Well as far as what I want to do with my diving I just dive the local lake, occasionally take the drive to a scubapark, and once in a full moon I'll take an actual trip to the ocean to go dive nothing under 100ft though. Tech Diving is cool but I don't see myself being that avid of diver to get into stuff like that.

When it comes to servicing my own equipment being a DIY kinda guy I like the idea of it, but this gear is going to save my life and I'd rather pay a professional to service it than do it myself and hope I did it right.

Also being that my life depends on this gear I don't want to buy anything used. I know there is plenty of good reliable used gear out there, but it's more of a sense of security thing for me.

Do you really need/want to pay for a matching Octo? Mine has never been used in 10 years. Except when I test it. Isn't it Mares that makes that ambidextrous model - MV? My buddy has one - it's nice if you did have to give it to someone since the whole 2nd swivels. They're a lot cheaper also.
Just get a Mares or another brand your local shop can service for convenience.

If you were doing a lot of travel/instabuddy diving I might re-assess the AirTrim since it's non-standard - and only serviceable by Mares dealers in the field.
But since you're not it's not as big a concern. Do remember to show any instabuddy's how it works - and the manual inflator also.

Lots more moving parts in an AirTrim vs. a standard inflator so KISS would seem to be prudent. There's quite a few linkages, o-rings, valves and the pneumatic line that runs the other two air dumps - also non-standard since they work with the AirTrim system. Not something you're going to find at a non-Mares dealer if you ever break one. Although I believe they manually vent also if the AirTrim stops working. Google it, there's a demo video.

Personally I'm not a fan of Jacket style BCD's either. Most people learn in one so they're comfortable in buying a better one.

I like Back Inflate BCD's since they're much less cluttered in front and don't squeeze you when inflated. Having all the buoyancy on your back means for some people that you can trim out easier horizontally. I believe the only one Mares makes is some of the the Hybrid/Hybrid ProTec line.

Air integration with a console mounted Puck means that the computer reads the pressure instead of an SPG in the console. So they're very reliable since they use a hose. Some also use a predictive algorithm that tells you you're remaining air at the depth you're currently diving - IDK if the Puck does.

Wireless Air Integration is where you may run into problems occasionally - sometimes the transmitter de-links from the computer - many people back up their Wireless AI with a simple brass/glass pressure gauge. I don't believe Mares makes a wireless wrist version Puck so it's a non-issue if you stay with your all-Mares idea.

You may find that the compass on the end of the hose is harder to use than one on your wrist. Some people do. A buddy likes his since he has a longer hose and points with it.

my .02

Last edited:
See I though a jacket would be more comfortable in that it surrounds you, but I guess I was mistaken.
What's the different between how a jacket and a Back Inflate ride in the water, like as far as trim? I heard Back Inflates make it hard to sit in the water at the surface cause they try to put you face down. Not a major concern as most our time is spent under the water but still something I'm worried about.
I looked at the Mares Hybrid Pro Tec and liked it as well and I can get if for a lil less than the Dragon so would it be better to go with that?

toddville393,

I see you are in Texas. Which part of Texas? If you are in the Dallas area you might want to visit some dive clubs. A dive shop has a vested interest in selling you gear. A dive club is usually a bunch of people looking to enjoy diving. I know back home there aren't a lot of dive clubs but in the Dallas area there are a couple of dive clubs (you can find Scubadillos and Diving Rebels on meetup.com). I've met the people at Scubadillos and would recommend going out to a meetup with them and just chat with a few of the members.

That said, if you can try stuff out it makes you realize there are things you never considered. The Mares Puck is a good starter computer. I would think it might be good for decades for the type of diving you are describing. I don't know about the rest of the gear.

Also, visit a few dive shops and see which shops you like and ask a lot of questions from them to see if they can educate you more. Ask questions or search for answer to understand what mistakes others have made. Remember that whatever is good to me might not be good for you.

Also, I liked the idea of everything being the same however is your toaster made by the same company as your dishwasher, stove, fridge, washing machine? Additionally, I had everything Sherwood. Seemed like a good idea when I started. All the equipment was good equipment and I don't regret buying it but as I learned more and my diving changed I realized I overspent a little. Now I have Waterproof wetsuit, Hollis BP/W, Halcyon BP & harness, DiveRite harness, Mares fins, Scubapro fins, Henderson gloves, Poseidon regulators. Why? Each item was on sale or cheaper than the competition but still gear I liked.

Personally, I find posting questions like this results in information overload. Going to a scuba club and chatting with fellow divers tends to give me the back and forth to get better answers (quality over quantity).

P.S. the most common complaint I hear about BP/W is that it forces your face in the water when at the surface. Hogwash. If I over-inflate my wing then yes, it pushes my face in the water. If my gear is properly configured for me I can inflate it just enough to keep my head above water and I am comfortable.

A back-inflate BC has all the lift in back of you. If you are using an aluminum tank, which is minimally negative when full, and you put all your weights in an integrated weight system that is all in front of you, you have a triple whammy. BC is lifting behind, tank is lifting behind, and weights are pulling down in front. This can all add up to a tendency to tip forward that has to be countered by leaning back.

On the other hand, if you fix any one of those things, the problem will be minimized. Use a steel tank, or put some of your weights on the cambands behind you, and you will reduce some of the lift from behind and some of the pull down in front.

Some people like jackets. I don't, for several reasons. They are bulky and large, heavy to pack or travel with, and have significant intrinsic buoyancy that has to be compensated by carrying more lead. In Puget Sound, we carry enough as it is! Back-inflates are much less bulky and are lighter, but they still may have a lot of buoyancy, depending on how much padding they have.

I'm in Central Texas near Stillhouse Hollow Lake.

So I guess I will be looking for a back inflated BCD. I like the Mares Hybrid Pro Tec, but it seems a lil above my needs so I was thinking about the Hybrid Pure.

Also the jury is still out on the Reg, Octo, and Computer just FYI considering this thread has kinda turned into a jacket vs back inflated BCD thread.

If you want a jacket, buy a jacket. It's your money and they all work. I just offered an opinion based on my experiences. I know better than a dozen people that started in a jacket but switched to back-inflate. I even know one woman who switched back. Some people like the "hug" that you get from a jacket at the surface.

I float straight up/down in my back-inflate. Twenty years ago a wing on your back meant you did float either face down or could lay over on your back and float face up at an angle. All the current models offer trim weight pockets in back near/around the tank so by moving a percentage of your weight to the back, you float pretty vertically. Probably slightly lower in the water than with a jacket when fully inflated. On my BC I put about 40% of the weight in back. Besides better trim one other advantage is that they're individual pockets so if I dump my front weights I still start to move up reasonably fast just not rocketing to the surface. So unless it's a real emergency it's a more controlled ascent.

I think I agree that the Hybrid Pure is a better choice than the Pro Tec. 55lbs. of lift is overkill unless you're diving in cold water with a layered wetsuit with a lot of lead to lift. The Pro Tec is also quite a bit heavier if you do do any flying with it. I can't really see needing 10 d-rings either. I use two in my normal dive configuration. It's like they threw every add-on they make on it - you would think "Tec" would signify as minimalist a design as possible.

Do buy the: "Optional lumbar trim weight system" - for the Hybrid Pure though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom