2 years out of the water, lots of new gear bought within the past 2 weeks! Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's been about 2 years ago, when I did a 4 day weekend diving the shallows in the keys off our boat

before that it was 2 plus years again break. So a few dives in the past 4 plus years

2 weeks ago, I decided to get back into the hobby, I had the itch

Please let me know what you think of my purchases so far. A little background, before the break I had about 600 dives in over 12 years. Rebreather certified, full cave certified, a few hundred dives on doubles etc. .

This time around recreational diving only once or twice a month here in FL on 60' reefs , as we have to many other hobbies in our life's, like a 30' camper, 23' boat, etc

Gear all bought new all ready bought:

Dive rite BP/SS lite with 25lb travel wing, 16lb weight pockets, STA

Regulator is a Atomic Z3 DIN, with a Z2 octopus

Mask is an Atomic Venom

Fins Atomic Blade

Pony set up is a 13cf pony, DIN, rigged with staging kit will be slung like a stage bottle , regulator is DIN Edge 2012 with 6" HP pressure gauge

Computer is Oceanic VT4.1 with transmitter, I had the VT3 and loved it. Back up is 2" pressure gauge on a 32" HP flex hose clipped off.

Tanks bought are 2 new Luxfer Alum 80's DIN, Nitrox compatible

Things to buy:

SMB with spool

wetsuite, not sure yet, temps it been reading on the reefs have been low 70's , I hate being cold, heck I may even look at a tropical drysuit. I loved my DUI TLS350 when I was cave diving ! I may get something like a 4/3 that's semi dry

2" SPG on 32" Miflex hose. For backup

Atomic Spring Straps for fins

Booties still need to buy, as well as something for my head to keep warm

May look into getting a pair of Faber HP100 steel tanks

Gear Bag

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're back in the water Marco. Now go put some blood on that spear.

Just out of curiosity, why did you opt for the Halcyon over the DSS?

Well, part of the DR system was how I had configured. I didn't like their weight pockets, they are huge compared to Halcyons. Another thing I didn't like was the chest strap, but I ordered it that way. I also didn't like the plastic buckles, again, I ordered it that way.
The webbing was really stiff. The whole system felt like allot of slop, which again, I'm sure could have been adjusted out. But I bought it down to the Halcyon dealer, and tried the Infinity on, then the DR on, their was no comparison, the Infinity fit me like a glove, I didn't even feel it on me

i did like the SS lite BP and the travel wing on the DR set up. But didn't like anything else

The shop owner sold the Halcyon Infinity for $725.00 with the weighted STA and weight pockets, SS backplate, Cinch system etc. The shop owner who I know for along time, dove it once this past weekend, as his rig.

i said at $600 for the DR system, or $725 for the Halcyon, I felt allot more comfortable and like the fit of the Halcyon BP/W

The problem with asking all the knuckleheads here is that many are gear heads are diehard brand loyal! (I would have kept the dive rite plate, I use that one and love it, lol)

The real catch is - if someone starts knocking your choices, are you going to return everything OR are you just looking for validation of your purchases?

Either way, take the answers to these types of questions with a grain of silt...

... And most importantly, have fun in the water!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have also used DR transplate setup and Halcyon Infiniti. I started with DR and used them for 3 years and liked them. Then I tried Infiniti. I must say I agree with OP. DR setup is not bad, but in terms of a lot of small things, it is not as well thought out as Infinity. Between $600 and $725, I will sure go for Infiniti. Have that said. I will choose simple Eclipse over Infiniti. Or if I were OP, I will take off all the padding and the cinch and sell them. Then the Halcyon will be cheaper than the DR setup.

Yeh. He ordered the Infinity for himself, the shop owner. I agree, I would have liked the Eclipse with the 30lb wing. It would have been perfect for both alum 80's and steel 100's

However, after spending countless hours buying gear, an entire complete set up, everything thought out even down to the mask defogger, and spring straps for my fins, I couldn't resist the infinity after trying it on.

i will say, DR has EXCELLENT customer service. I do plan on diving dry, and will need extra weights to get me down. I also plan on carrying a 13cf pony, so the 40 should be a good over all around wing

Bug to answer your question, no. I been diving long enough, to make my own choices, and have had allot of gear over the years

i like to hear feedback , like if someone likes the Z3 Atomic, or if someone likes or dislikes the VT 4.1

i myself, know that wireless transmitters are not the " crowds " most favorite. Yes, I get it, it was the same thing back when I was diving a few years ago. That's why I added a 32" SPG on bungee , but for me, I LOVE looking at my wrist and seeing everything right their. I had the VT3.0 and loved it

Well, part of the DR system was how I had configured. I didn't like their weight pockets, they are huge compared to Halcyons. Another thing I didn't like was the chest strap, but I ordered it that way. I also didn't like the plastic buckles, again, I ordered it that way.
The webbing was really stiff. The whole system felt like allot of slop, which again, I'm sure could have been adjusted out. But I bought it down to the Halcyon dealer, and tried the Infinity on, then the DR on, their was no comparison, the Infinity fit me like a glove, I didn't even feel it on me

i did like the SS lite BP and the travel wing on the DR set up. But didn't like anything else

The shop owner sold the Halcyon Infinity for $725.00 with the weighted STA and weight pockets, SS backplate, Cinch system etc. The shop owner who I know for along time, dove it once this past weekend, as his rig.

i said at $600 for the DR system, or $725 for the Halcyon, I felt allot more comfortable and like the fit of the Halcyon BP/W

I agree with your reasoning, and it seems like $725 is a good price, especially considering the H Tax. I paid just a bit less for the same setup as yours, but from Hollis. I would have gone for Halcyon had I known, lol! But, I also want to support my LDS, who has Hollis but not Halcyon, so its all good.

Back
Top Bottom