Budget Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrkPranksta69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, looking at gear and it seems like its super expensive. Is there any budget brands out there or is it waiting for sales? I know you can't cheapen out as it's your life but I see regs going for prices that a whole set can cost. My budget is around $500 for everything except a wetsuit (buying it soon) and tank as I plan on renting it. Is there any hope I can find good stuff for that price range?

You can do an entry level setup for under $600 if you know where to shop. Just for fun, I tried to see how close I could get to $500. Probably can't touch a dive computer though at that price. I'm doing this all thru LeisurePro.com since it's convenient. There may be better deals at some of the other on-line retailers on each piece also. Or better products on sale.

Regulators - either of these are entry level. They're also safe since they're flow-by designs - if the 1st stage fails, you'll still get air to surface. Both are known brands also with a long history behind them.

Cressi XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator at LeisurePro - $155.
or
Oceanic GT3 Sport (SP5) Piston Regulator, Black at LeisurePro - $170

A matching octo (same brand to make service easier at your dealer) is $60-63

Cressi XS Octopus at LeisurePro - $63

AERIS A1 Octopus, Yellow at LeisurePro - $60 Oceanic and Aeris are the same company.

If you can do the Hog Regs for around the same money, they might be better performers. They do have a much smaller dealer network for service though so be sure there's one near you - or you're willing to send them out. Scubatoys in Dallas is a HOG dealer. They also come in DIN/Yoke - you may want yoke for traveling, DIN if you can rent DIN tanks locally. Probably 90% of tanks you'll find at dive destinations are Yoke.

Then you need gauges -

Aeris Max-Depth Console at LeisurePro - $99

Now a BCD. The cheapest are $180. They're designed for rental fleets but in some ways that's better as they're bulletproof.

Of the two I like a few features on the Cressi better, 3 dump valves, seems like heavier duty material is used.
But the Sherwood was the more expensive initially.

Sherwood Silhouette BCD at LeisurePro - $180
Cressi Start BCD at LeisurePro - $180

For $10 more - I like this Tusa a little more - has a few extra features. Except the material used is lighter than the Cressi:

Tusa Charter BCD, Black (BCJ-2100) at LeisurePro - $190

So the way I would go is $530 plus any tax/shipping.

Oceanic GT-3 180
Aeris A1 - 60
Aeris Max Depth - 100
Tusa BJ-021 -190

So apparently it is possible to get a set of decent starter gear for around $500...who knew?

For $190-200 more you can add a cheap computer like the Mares Puck Wrist or the Aeris Manta. Functionally the difference is ease of use and probably the ability to log more dives without them being overwritten. And download capability. Almost all computers also have a "hidden" cost of almost $100 for their proprietary download cable also.

I also like the Hollis DG03 since it allows for future Air Integration reasonably. The computer is $250 and the transmitter is $250 more when you're ready. Hollis is the tech side of Oceanic/Aeris. https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

You might also try a similar exercise at Scubatoys.com Dive Right In Scuba, or Divers Supply. All are established online retailers.

If you find stuff you like, post it here somebody probably has used it.

Last edited:
Also make sure that at least for the regs and BC that you have local service options. The regs will probably require an annual. All the mfr's have dealer locators on their websites.

The more experience you have the cheaper scuba can be. I know that sucks but it's true.
For instance, My neighbor gave me two regs sets for free both Aqualung.
I ordered a service kit on line and had a freshly serviced reg for $30 (did it myself). The second stage I just flipped the seat and lubed up a few O-rings.
I personally learned to dive with no BC so I save money there.
If you want to save money on a BC then get something used.
Fins can be found cheap used.
Mask you want new.
The suit should also be new and for me custom, that's where I have to spend money.
There's a lot of great gear that can be found for pennies on the dollar, just look at Craigslist or ebay. Tons of people try scuba for a few years then give it up.

I think it would be staggering to see what gear people have been storing in storage units and in garages or closets that hasn't been used in years.

I took your original post to mean that you already had mask, fins, snorkel, boots. If not, buy most of it online from one of the big retailers - somebody just bought it all new at their shop for $200 but would've saved $50 on the same Mares fins online.

I do suggest you try/buy a mask locally though since the only thing that matters is fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom