Equipment package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So a little background - my girlfriend and I just got OW certified. We live in West Palm Beach, FL less than 10 minutes from the water, so there are lots of charters and shore dive opportunities nearby. Diving is very accessible here, so I think it's something we're going to be doing at least 3 times a month. I'd like to get my own gear and I've checked out the local dive shops and started comparing products online and came across this package. For the price it seems like a great deal.

Compared to renting I'll break even in less than a year diving 3 times a month. I've looked up reviews of each component and besides some people not being a huge fan of DVT, there wasn't anything negative to say (I found this interesting considering when I went into my LDS to look around and ask questions, the sales guys really pushed Aqua Lung's models with ACD - saying he wouldn't use one without it). I dove during my certification with Oceanic gear and the local shops seem to have a lot of Aqua Lung and Oceanic products. So obviously I don't have much exposure to all the different brands, but it seems like I can't go wrong with Oceanic!

The gear list is:
BCD: Seac Pro 1000
Comp: Aeris A300
Reg: Alpha 9 w/ SP5 DVT first-stage
Octo: Alpha 8

And a standard Oceanic SPG. I prefer the dive computer in watch form, so this kit seems perfect to me. Only thing I noticed is that this comes with an SP-5 first stage, whereas I guess new Alpha 9's come with SP-6's. So not the latest and greatest, but still seems like a quality product.

I do plan on buying my wet suit and fins from my LDS so I can try a few different brands on.

Welcome to the board.

This is basically an entry level package, nothing wrong with it but nothing special either. It would likely serve you well. I for one don't see the need for the DVT/ACD, it's more a sales item than any thing else. What would concern me about the package are 2 things, do you have an Oceanic dealer in your area and is the seller (Prime Scuba) an authorized dealer? Some LDSs get assy if they find out you purchased your equipment on line and to get manuf warrenty/support you must purchase it from an authorized dealer....I have no clue if PS is or not. Just something to consider when buying on line. Also, the reg may not be assembled or tested, something any good LDS does when you purchase from them. The reg really should be checked out before heading off to dive with it...are you willing/able to assemble and test it yourself and if not, how happy do you suspect your LDS will be when you walk in for help. On line purchases can be great deals but you do have to understand what does and does not come with them.

personally I think the ACD system is a gimmic, but that's just me.... It works, sure, but as soon as my regs come off the dust caps go on, and I've never had any issue with anything getting inside them despite years of cave, wreck, and river diving.....

I'm with Herman, it's an entry level package, nothing to write home about, but nothing necessarily bad about it.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/sowpkg.shtml-$400
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_hogarthian.shtml $465
https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml $250

Little more money but you have a much better computer, much better reg set, and a BC combo that will actually hold resale value for the rest of your life. They are also only about 45 minutes away from you, and no offense to your LDS at all, but I would say that it is HIGHLY worth the drive to head down to DGX in person before you make any gear purchases. They will likely cut you a deal a bit better than the online prices if you buy them all in one go, especially two sets. It looks like tech gear, and it sort of is, but it's also higher quality gear, that will actually last you forever and have a lower cost of ownership in the long run.

I agree with herman - this is an entry level package, and there is nothing wrong with it, but nothing to write home about either. I wouldn't buy it, for any number of reasons, but that is me. What matters is what YOU want.

I agree with tbone - if you are only 45 minutes from Dive Gear Express, make the drive. At least talk with them and see what they might suggest.

One question before saying anything else - why did YOU pick this particular package? What were YOUR performance and price criteria? Why do YOU think this package is a good stating point for YOU?

For me (and my preferences and criteria may be different than your), in no particular order:

1. I recommend avoiding 'packages' - you seldom get what you really might want, and the prices are not as good as they might otherwise seem.

2. The BCD is a weight-integrated, jacket style BCD. I personally prefer a back-inflation unit, and I definitely do not like the majority of weight-integrated units currently on the market. Those units generally put the weight in front of the divers vertical midline (lateral view), which is not where it should be, or at least certainly not where I want it. I specifically prefer a metal backplate, which takes weight off my waist (where it places the center of gravity lower than my center of lift - my thorax) and puts it where it will be the most compatible with good underwater trim - on my back, adjacent to the physiologic center of lift. With a metal (SS) backplate, diving warm water in a 1mm suit, I don't need any added weight.

3. The regulator is OK, definitely an entry level unit. I see both DVT and ACD as unnecessary marketing bells / whistles, only adding cost the the regulator. They are not dysfunctional, just needless.

4. I always dive with identical primary and alternate second stages (e.g. two Zeagle ZX second stages, or two Apeks ATX / XTX 50s, or two Alpha 9s. Or, if the two are not identical, they are equivalent in performance. I prefer that both primary and alternate units have a venturi control lever, and I personally like a user-adjustable breathing control. The notion of a cheap, lower performance / less functional 'octo' really makes no sense. What I want - in the rare case of needing to donate air to another diver, is a fully functional, easy breathing second stage.

You are in a great position to continue you discovery of the U/W world. Owning your own gear makes that journey easier, and often encourages divers to get in the water more often. I wouldn't buy quite yet, rather get a bit more experience, read more on SB (there is A LOT of discussion involving threads started by divers just like you - newly certified, wanting to own their own gear, etc ), talk with other divers at local sites. You might find a better approach to spending your money.

I agree with herman - this is an entry level package, and there is nothing wrong with it, but nothing to write home about either. I wouldn't buy it, for any number of reasons, but that is me. What matters is what YOU want.

I agree with tbone - if you are only 45 minutes from Dive Gear Express, make the drive. At least talk with them and see what they might suggest.

One question before saying anything else - why did YOU pick this particular package? What were YOUR performance and price criteria? Why do YOU think this package is a good stating point for YOU?

For me (and my preferences and criteria may be different than your), in no particular order:

1. I recommend avoiding 'packages' - you seldom get what you really might want, and the prices are not as good as they might otherwise seem.

2. The BCD is a weight-integrated, jacket style BCD. I personally prefer a back-inflation unit, and I definitely do not like the majority of weight-integrated units currently on the market. Those units generally put the weight in front of the divers vertical midline (lateral view), which is not where it should be, or at least certainly not where I want it. I specifically prefer a metal backplate, which takes weight off my waist (where it places the center of gravity lower than my center of lift - my thorax) and puts it where it will be the most compatible with good underwater trim - on my back, adjacent to the physiologic center of lift. With a metal (SS) backplate, diving warm water in a 1mm suit, I don't need any added weight.

3. The regulator is OK, definitely an entry level unit. I see both DVT and ACD as unnecessary marketing bells / whistles, only adding cost the the regulator. They are not dysfunctional, just needless.

4. I always dive with identical primary and alternate second stages (e.g. two Zeagle ZX second stages, or two Apeks ATX / XTX 50s, or two Alpha 9s. Or, if the two are not identical, they are equivalent in performance. I prefer that both primary and alternate units have a venturi control lever, and I personally like a user-adjustable breathing control. The notion of a cheap, lower performance / less functional 'octo' really makes no sense. What I want - in the rare case of needing to donate air to another diver, is a fully functional, easy breathing second stage.

You are in a great position to continue you discovery of the U/W world. Owning your own gear makes that journey easier, and often encourages divers to get in the water more often. I wouldn't buy quite yet, rather get a bit more experience, read more on SB (there is A LOT of discussion involving threads started by divers just like you - newly certified, wanting to own their own gear, etc ), talk with other divers at local sites. You might find a better approach to spending your money.

My reasons for being interested in this package is primarily because I dove with Oceanic gear, and visiting the local dive shops they carried Oceanic regs (even though they seemed to really push Aqua Lung) so I know I can get service on them without an issue. The company I dove with had primarily Oceanic regs and BCDs as well. I like the dive computer being a watch and reviews on it are good. As far as the BCD goes, I haven't used a back mount BCD, but I'm definitely going to look up some information on them.

It seems rather difficult to get a good comparison between different products, especially comparing between brands. I mean there are such huge price differences on some gear, and I'm not sure if a $650 regulator is really $400 better than a $250 regulator!

I will have to check out Dive Gear Express, Pompano is not too far.

it depends on what gear you are looking at, that is the biggest problem. You can't compare a lot of scuba gear based on price and there is very few that actually fit the "you get what you pay for" argument.

Atomic is a perfect example. They are some of the most expensive regs on the market, but performance and quality is no better than regs half their cost. *Atomic is about 2.5x the cost of Hog, and almost 2x the cost of Hollis*Hollis/Oceanic are basically the same as the regs from DiveRite, Hog, and a few others, and they are significantly more expensive, though DiveRite is starting to catch up in price. Their ltd lifetime warranty is based on number of dives or 2 years and has to be serviced by a tech, so that adds even more to the cost, whereas the same warranty is there on Hog with nothing mentioned about service. Hollis regs and wings are no better than the Hog equivalents, yet are consistently 1.5x the cost, based solely on having to handle the marketing budget of the companies, which is MASSIVE. Hog doesn't advertise, DiveRite doesn't really advertise, they have higher overhead than Hog, but it's nothing compared to Aqualung, Scubapro, Atomic, Oceanic etc.

BC's are the same, and computers are the worst of the lot, though the computer you listed is actually a good one for the price. Screen is a bit small for the diving I do, but that's ok. $250 for a computer that does 3 gasses and gauge mode is about right. The DG03 is a bit bigger, but the same basic computer as far as the guts go.

You really need to swing down to DGX, they don't have any recreational stuff there as far as what you're used to seeing, but I think they might have a pool that you can test some stuff out in. They'll also have a bunch of masks/fins for you to check out *Dive Rite XT's should be on the top of your list*, but I don't think they do exposure protection.

I'd really try on a back-inflate model before you buy a jacket. You trained in a jacket since they're what almost every shop teaches in - one size fits all, none optimally. Some of the back inflate models are tunable by varying the wing size so you can get the smallest you can use safely. Smaller wing means better streamlining and possibly slightly less weight. In my experience having the wing on your back - and trim weight pockets - allows you to trim horizontally much easier.

Zeagle should be popular in your area - it is in SoFl. They manufacture their line in Zephyr Hills - near Orlando. Zeagle Systems - Home Most of their line uses their PFS - Perfect Fit System - so you can mix/match components. For local diving, I'd look pretty hard at an Express Tech - add a pocket or two and it's all you should need for diving in your area. And totally unencumbered in the front. Aquatic Adventures in Zephyr Hills is one of the largest Zeagle dealers - Zeagle Express is their online division. Zeagle Express is the most complete source for everything Zeagle Systems makes

Have you been to Divers Direct yet? You should...Largest SCUBA Shops Near West Palm Beach Fl - West Palm Beach Dive Center | Divers Direct They also sell Zeagle - and Oceanic. Marketing agreements mean that your local shop will also have to work on your Oceanic gear under warranty even if you don't purchase it from them. But the price is probably just about the same item for item - Oceanic sets a standard price that many dealers follow - although some do discount from it.

Prime Scuba is an authorized Oceanic dealer. They have a real store in NY.
When you shop with us, you can rest assured that every item will come with its full manufacturer's warranty – because Prime Scuba is the authorized dealer for every item in stock.
http://www.primescuba.com/

You are aware that the BC in that package is not an Oceanic right? It's a SEAC - they're sort of newer to the U.S. - but have been in Europe for decades. So you'll need a SEAC dealer for any warranty work on it also. http://www.seacusa.com/
Package Includes: Seac Pro 1000 Weight Integrated BCD

Last edited:
I'd really try on a back-inflate model before you buy a jacket. You trained in a jacket since they're what almost every shop teaches in - one size fits all, none optimally. Some of the back inflate models are tunable by varying the wing size so you can get the smallest you can use safely. Smaller wing means better streamlining and possibly slightly less weight. In my experience having the wing on your back - and trim weight pockets - allows you to trim horizontally much easier.

Zeagle should be popular in your area - it is in SoFl. They manufacture their line in Zephyr Hills - near Orlando. Zeagle Systems - Home Most of their line uses their PFS - Perfect Fit System - so you can mix/match components. For local diving, I'd look pretty hard at an Express Tech - add a pocket or two and it's all you should need for diving in your area. And totally unencumbered in the front. Aquatic Adventures in Zephyr Hills is one of the largest Zeagle dealers - Zeagle Express is their online division. Zeagle Express is the most complete source for everything Zeagle Systems makes

Have you been to Divers Direct yet? You should...Largest SCUBA Shops Near West Palm Beach Fl - West Palm Beach Dive Center | Divers Direct They also sell Zeagle - and Oceanic. Marketing agreements mean that your local shop will also have to work on your Oceanic gear under warranty even if you don't purchase it from them. But the price is probably just about the same item for item - Oceanic sets a standard price that many dealers follow - although some do discount from it.

Prime Scuba is an authorized Oceanic dealer. They have a real store in NY. Scuba Diving Equipment, Snorkeling and Swim Gear at PrimeScuba

You are aware that the BC in that package is not an Oceanic right? It's a SEAC - they're sort of newer to the U.S. - but have been in Europe for decades. So you'll need a SEAC dealer for any warranty work on it also.
I've been looking at some of the back inflate models online all day at work.

I've been to Diver's Direct, I plan on purchasing my wet suit and fins from there (I have a great mask already). I do love Amazon though, and one of the reasons I'd like to purchase off Amazon is because I have gift cards there, and can elect for the 12-month 0% APR financing on a purchase this large, plus for a seller like Prime Scuba (in NY), there's no tax for me. So with my gift cards and no tax (I uhhh, of course will put down those taxes when filing my tax return! :D), I save a decent amount of money. I'd definitely prefer to take advantage of 0% financing for a year, and just pay it off in ~4 months rather than throw down $1500 all at once (I still need a wetsuit and fins).

Diver's Direct services SEAC equipment, at least according to the SEAC website. I read some reviews and they've been around a long, long time and are popular in Europe. Works for me!

Anyways, I found this package which seems fantastic. Haven't heard a single negative comment about Subgear/ScubaPro. It has a back flotation BCD, although I can't find any reviews on SB. It's got a balanced reg, and the dive computer is air integrated. I know people have mixed feelings about air integrated dive computers though.

have you tried out any of the gear you are looking to buy? have you used a wrist computer, bp/w or back inflate bcd like a zeagle express tech, or balanced 2nd stage regulator before (that subgear doesn't seem to be balanced on the 2nd stage according to the description)?

you might be rushing into buying your own gear a little too fast. if you don't get a good idea of the options and find out what gear you like using and feel most comfortable with, you may end up regretting your purchase. being in florida, you might be able to pick up gently used gear for much less also.

It's a new model so there's probably no reviews for it yet.
Sub Gears Levo BCD is a new High-Performance Lightweight Back-Inflator Style Buoyancy Compensator

I think you'll be happier with back-inflate. I have a loose group of about 20 people I dive with. Of them all switched from jackets. I can just trim out so much better in mine. And hold just about any position - horizontal or vertical. I shoot video so I get in some strange ones.

I might add a 2nd SPG on a short hose tucked away somewhere. On the slight chance the computer failed at depth, you'd have no idea of your air remaining. If you do make it down to DGX pick one up there. https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/spgsonly.shtml Nice thing is the SubGear 1st has 2 HP ports for it and the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom