Angle Adapters VS Omni Swivels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just recently went through a complete service of some of our Omni Swivels in gear rotation.
Prior to this point I didn't even think about the need for servicing or the specific inner workings of a swivel.

I think most of us fall under that category when we're bashing or supporting the use of Swivels or Adapters.
Well here's what I saw today.

Below is a picture of a 70 Angle Adapter I use with my Guardian FFM.
Angle Adapter.jpg

Service and parts is simple. One -010 Oring that slips into the rotating cuff; second stage side. The other male end attaches to your rotating cuff hose side. You essentially angle your hose with a piece of hardware and get rotation on either side of the connection. Simple.
There's no general guideline for service intervals. Pretty much same as you would service/replace your hoses: as needed.

Below are some pictures of the Omni-Swivels we use. Actual branded, rather than generic.
Aside from my FFM, all our other FFM's use Omni Swivels.
Below you will see a Breakdown, Parts Kit, & close up of the Connector Screw.
Breakdown consists of 6 metal parts (2 being the screw assembly which is replaced), 3 internal Orings, 2 external orings, & 2 teflon washers.
Omni Swivel Breakdown.jpgOmni Swivel Parts Kit.jpgOmni Swivel Screw.jpg

In respect to Dive Shops & Omni Swivel, I won't disclose the Dealer's Price of a parts kit, but it is more than a few dollars.
The Omni Swivel had an initial bad rep for catastrophic separation at the Connector Screw in it's first year. That was quickly recalled and corrected.
Omni recommends a service interval of 200 dives or Bi-annual; whichever comes first.
There is a Repair Tool Kit, notably consisting of a leverage and inset bar. After trying both ways, I strongly recommend getting the Tool Bar, unless you have child sized hands and a good V11 rock climbing grip.

What holds it together is now Blue Loctite, teflon washers, and a Screw + Nut combo. When serviced right, I don't see how you can even get grit in to compromise one of the Sealing Orings. It is not an issue in normal recreational diving.

As for my personal opinion now that I've experienced this, I don't see any problems with either for recreational diving, assuming a good service interval.

For use in tucking a hose under your arm with the reg in your mouth,
my personal preference is still on Angle Adapters because they are simple and cheaper. We're talking $40 cheaper, plus the bi-annual service cost for a Swivel.

1 oring VS a parts kit, and you're relying on all standard hose connections. With the Omni Swivel, you're adding an Oring/Screw connection that requires servicing and a repair tech.

When diving with a hose under your arm, I do not see any need for the third swivel connection on an Omni (you just don't use it). However if you're looking for hose strain relief for a traditional over the shoulder, then I can see where the Omni comes in great handy. So for that reason, aside from experimenting with hose lengths, I would say an Omni has uses.

I've also come to notice that I'm the only diver who tucks the hose under my arm w/ the FFM at work, which is probably why I came into this job with so many Omni's equipped, rather than Angle Adapters.

YMMV
Oh yeah, and get a Bp/W with 7ft hose and bungee backup.
There, I said it so you won't have to!
:D

Last edited:
I started with swivels on my sidemount rig. Liked them and dived them a season. These were not the Omni branded but the generic. Earlier this season I had one fail in the middle of a dive. Started leaking. Rather than even mess with it I went to angled adapters. Cost for them was around 8 bucks each. No need to go back to swivels for me.

Looking for a 70 degree adapter myself. Where did you find them?

Looking for a 70 degree adapter myself. Where did you find them?

It was here when I got to the job.
Pretty much what TN-Steve said. Would rather have a 90 personally, but I don't hate it enough put it in the budget for a replacement.

I have one or two in stock at all times. With sidemount getting popular I try to have the most commonly used accessories on hand.

I have never had an issue with an Omni brand swivel. That said I prefer the XS/Dive rite or similar 90/110 degree swivels. They are not a failure point and are safe for any type of diving.

N

Back
Top Bottom