Overseas Travel with Mesh Bag for Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kebosatu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

Do you normally travelling with mesh bag, especially when your travel involve flying?

I normally use 24 inch luggage and check my dive gear in, now I'm thinking about getting a mesh bag and check it in.

The reason is I have another carry-on luggage and sometimes a bit troublesome to bring two luggage (both are not a four wheel luggage -.-'), also I need the carry on as i need to keep my regs and mask with me.

What's your experience in checking in your gear with a mesh bag? anything broken? or anyone move your things out?

Cheers,
Kebo

I just toss my mesh bag in the duffel bag that I check. It weighs almost nothing and it's very compact. I use a non dive duffel so as not to draw attention to my luggage.

Mesh bags are meant to use at your destination. I have no experience checking a mesh bag as I would not even consider doing that. People can see what's in it, they offer no protection, they're not that sturdy, and probably have higher risk of getting caught up by some baggage handling equipment.

I wouldn't check a mesh bag... Why not carry on the mesh divebag with all your dive gear and check the other bag? I use an AquaLung backpack style mesh divebag and have never been stopped from carrying it onto American Airlines.

I wouldn't check a mesh bag... Why not carry on the mesh divebag with all your dive gear and check the other bag? I use an AquaLung backpack style mesh divebag and have never been stopped from carrying it onto American Airlines.
Thats one way I'm thinking to do, but my mesh bag size equals to 24" long. Also the total weight exceed 10kg

Most carriers here don't allow more than 10kg carry on..

Thats one way I'm thinking to do, but my mesh bag size equals to 24" long. Also the total weight exceed 10kg

Most carriers here don't allow more than 10kg carry on..

My dive bag is 24 inches long too. Around here they have never asked me to weigh a carry on bag, it just has to fit into a metal frame measuring device. Good luck!

I check-in a mesh bag with several zip ties along the length of the zippers. Do domestic travel in the Philippines and to Palau and Bali without any problems. I find most theives arent interested in dive gear. Not that easy to change into cash.

I bring a mesh bag only when the diving requires it. I.e. I need to schlep my stuff down to the dock each day. It gets used to pad the rest of my gear that gets checked. Otherwise it stays at home.

I have found the Aqua Lung Mariner Mesh Bag to be descent and heavy duty enough.

In a pinch, I just use my regular duffle and at the end of the trip rinse it, and pack everything up.

I never travel with a mesh bag. I use my Akona "drag along" to pack my dive gear in and check it.

Hi Guys,

Do you normally travelling with mesh bag, especially when your travel involve flying?

I normally use 24 inch luggage and check my dive gear in, now I'm thinking about getting a mesh bag and check it in.

The reason is I have another carry-on luggage and sometimes a bit troublesome to bring two luggage (both are not a four wheel luggage -.-'), also I need the carry on as i need to keep my regs and mask with me.

What's your experience in checking in your gear with a mesh bag? anything broken? or anyone move your things out?

Cheers,
Kebo

As others have said, checking a mesh bag may present some problems.

We offer a very sturdy mesh bag, but it also nests perfectly INSIDE our canvas bag. We recommend the canvas bag for use during travel. The issue with a large canvas bag is that it is rather bulky, even when empty and this can be unwelcome on the dive boat.

So.. we have designed these two bags with that kind of scenario in mind. Flying: all the gear goes inside the mesh bag (turned upside down with zipper underneath- to make it harder for baggage handlers to "lift" your gear).

When you fly to your destination, leave the canvas bag in the hotel room and use the mesh bag on the boat.

MAKO sells direct with no typical retail mark up or overhead, so our prices may surprise you:

Thanks!

Dano

Ballistic Mesh Dive Bag | MAKO Spearguns

mmb_exp.jpg

mmb-in-gear-bag_dtl.jpg

MFGB-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom