A Good Non---lds Experience Today....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, how to best say this.
I went to a divers expo a couple of weeks ago and got interested in the DiveRite (DR) Trans Plate with deluxe harness. I liked the harness because it was easily adjustable and for some other reasons and pls dont turn the thread into a ... its not DIR or something like that. Im not a young stud...Im an old fart and one continuous piece of strap just dont cut it for me.

Anyway, while at the expo I tried on the TransPac II and the Trans Plate several times trying to make a decision. I use a vest type bcd now but wanted to do a bp and wing.

The rep was really helpful and took his time even with all the other people asking questions at the expo. Bottom line was, he recommended I go with an XXL ....not with the XL I tried on at the expo. He even wrote it down in the brochure.

So when I got back home and did the math and decided I could afford to give it a shot...I tried to find the place to order it. My notes sucked as usual but I was directed to a DR "TecRec" store in PA that had a good deal on the rig. So I called them. Yep, good deal, Yep fully warranteed, Yep in the mail tomorrow...in the XXL size recommended.

Well, when the rig arrived and I tried it on....Schrek would have had room in it. And, I aint the size of Schrek !!!

Every adjustment was maxed out. No room. I could gain a ton and it would still work....but if I lost an once it would probably fall off. (Here is where all you ...dont buy by phone... people jump in.)

Anyway, after a day of agonizing on do I call and try to swap out the harness....or...do I just live with it...I decided to see what other options I had. A board member pointed out to me that on DR's website you could find other TecRec store locations. Now this is very embarassing to me...because I teach software and hardware as a job and should have figured this out myself...rats. However, I found the site...found the store listings...and called a "local" DR TecRec distributor.

When the guy answered the phone he asked the normal....how are ya? My answer was I sucked...but he could make it better....but I understood if he wasnt willing to...I would live with it. Once he stopped laughing he got the right guy on the phone and I explained the whole situation to him....plus the fact...I may be deploying soon and dont have weeks to play with. He was great. He checked his inventory, said he had the size I needed and come on down.

So, Saturday at 0400 I was on Hwy 95 headed from Fayetteville, NC to Nags Head Nc to the Outer Banks Dive shop. When I got there the store was still closed but they showed up on time and I went on in.

Now here I need to apologize. I remember Bill's name but not the other guy. I remember he was a Marine (Semper Fi dude) and very nice....but I suck on names.

Anyway, Bill swapped out the harness for me....showed me how to adjust it...and gave me lots of good info. I swear if I knew those guys were there I would have driven there in the first place.....just because they had everything in stock. I am so tired of being interested in something but an lds wont stock it...(and I understand you cant have everything)... but they all want you to commit to buy and I dont even know if I like the thing or not.

Sorry, I digress...anyway, I got my harness swapped out, bought some other stuff....and it all ended happily.

So, many thanks to Bill and the Marine at Outer Banks Scuba in Nags Head. You guys were great...professional...and helpful.

Bill....the only other thing....the PA guys were a TecRec store just like yours...not a real "internet" buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom